It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Ahhh, so scared...sore in throat, please help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Unhappy Ahhh, so scared...sore in throat, please help!

Okay, here's what's going on. About three weeks ago, I developed a cough and other symptoms that went along with what one would consider to be a cold. As time passed, the cold progressed and gradually turned into a severe sinus infection, and my throat started to hurt. After visiting the doctor, she confirmed it was indeed a sinus infection and noted a large cold sore in the back of my throat near my left tonsil. She did a Strep test...which came back negative. About a week ago, I was started on Amoxicillin and Miriphen to help clear things up. A few days after getting started on those meds, I noted that the sore in my throat had almost doubled in size and was becoming excrutiatingly painful.

I went back to the doctor for it, That was on Thursday. She gave me Lidocaine to put on it so I could eat and gave me some ulcer medication to gargle in hopes it would help it heal...but still no diagnosis as to what was causing it. Anyway, several more days have passed, and things just continue to get worse...my sinus infection is clearing up, but my throat is soooo extremely painful. The sore is even bigger...about the size of my thumbnail, and the area surrounding it is bright red (the rest of my throat is not red). Now I am having new symptoms including stiffness in my jaw and my neck. It hurts to even turn my head a little and even talking and chewing hurts.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'm so confused/scared/frustrated with this. Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    Re: Ahhh, so scared...sore in throat, please help!

Did she do a test for mononucleosis? Mono can cause sores in the throat like that. My son in law just was diagnosed with mono and has a couple sores in the back of his throat like that.

Closed Thread