It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Does anyone know what these symptoms could mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
    Jaspar
    (female)

Jaspar HB User
    Does anyone know what these symptoms could mean?

I'm a female teenager. Lately I've been having symptoms that are totally interfering with my life. So much that the last couple days I haven't had enough energy to even leave the room. (Have a computer in my bedroom.)

-Fatigue (Almost constantly)
    -Dizziness (Here and there, sometimes it makes me too weak to stand)
    -Trouble breathing (Sometimes it's shortness of breath, other times it's that I just stop breathing for no reasonfor about 5 seconds as I feel like, this big weight set on me then slowly breathe again as it lifts off me...Other times its when I take in a big breath so fast then exhale too much....Like i cant stop myself from exhaling even when there's nothing left to exhale.)
    -Chest pain (Sometimes, like someone is prying at my heart with a wrench) I've had this one ALL my life. Well at least as long as I can remember. It's only becoming more frequent now. I never told anyone about it cause I was the most stubborn kid in the world and never admitted when i was sick or hurt.
    -Chest tightness (Like there's a big weight on my chest - only sometimes though)
    -Sudden head poundings - These happen when I get the dizzy spells, and when I have that weight on me where i auto stop breathing for a few seconds.
    -Muscle weakness - In my arms and legs.....This has only started in the last couple of days
    -Heart racing sometimes without strenuous activity. In fact, after doing something that makes me breathless (In my current condition it's as simple as cllimbing the stairs) My heart seems to be pounding slower, and much harder than normal. Sometimes it feels like it's jumping around in my chest.
    -Loss of appetite (Only the last couple days)
    Most of these except muscle weakness and loss of appetite have been going on awhile,(With the chest pain the longest) but they've gotten worse and more frequent in the last couple days.
    Does anyone know why this might be happening? And if it sounds serious, or if it will just go away on its own?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 09:54 PM   #2
    ZANMEISTER
    (female)

ZANMEISTER HB User
    Re: Does anyone know what these symptoms could mean?

Tough one - sounds like you might have 1 major problem that is causing a bunch of other symptoms. I had a problem years ago (low grade sinus infection) - that never quite went away (can cause fatigue, dizziness, headpain, etc. etc.) - but you should go to a good see a doctor who is a good diagnostian and find the underlying cause of your problem. When your body and immune system are busy fighting one larger issue - other minor issues can become or appear bigger. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
    Jaspar
    (female)

Jaspar HB User

Well, I have been to the doctor...I've had blood tests, and an EKG.....I'm guessing nothing showed up in the results, or they would have called, right?
    He told me before the tests he doesnt think it's anything serious....I'm going to be going for a chest x-ray this week or next week. What I'm really worrying about though is what if nothing comes up and I just have to live with whatever is wrong with me....Really hoping for some other options...Or ideas I could bring up to the doctor....

Old 10-20-2005, 12:21 AM   #4
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Jaspar- When you have these symptoms, do you worry that they mean that you're dying of a heart attack or that you're losing control of your body? Have you started to avoid places/situations that seem to cause these symptoms? If so, is this because you're afraid that you will lose control there and not be able to escape if one of these attacks strike? Do the symptoms come abruptly without any warning, only to disappear in 10-20 minutes, though you feel shaken the rest of the day? In addition to the symptoms you mentioned, do you also get any of the following:
    hot and/or cold flashes?
    abdominal distress?
    "choking" sensation while swallowing?
    shaking/trembling extremities?
    racing thoughts of worry about what's happening?
    If so, I suspect that it could be panic disorder. Since you've already had EKG's and blood tests (which would have ruled out serious problems, including hyperthyroidism, which can cause panic attack-like symptoms), and the doctor can't seem to pinpoint a cause, I suggest that you research panic disorder and see if it seems to describe what you're going through. I hope you feel better soon, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! Good luck and God bless!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-20-2005, 01:43 AM   #5
    Jaspar
    (female)

Jaspar HB User

do you worry that they mean that you're dying of a heart attack or that you're losing control of your body? - No, I never think I'm dying, although I don't worry about it - I look forward to that day. As for the control part I don't have control of it - If I did I would spit on them and shoo them away.

Have you started to avoid places/situations that seem to cause these symptoms? No....no place or nowhere seems to actually trigger them

Do the symptoms come abruptly without any warning, only to disappear in 10-20 minutes, though you feel shaken the rest of the day? Sort of. A few I know when they're gonna happen - Like if my heart is racing the chest pain will probably come next. If I push myself to do something I just dont have the energy for I know I'm gonna have the slower than normal harder than normal beat, and I know that I'm gonna get dizzy when that happens. The dizziness is always accompanied by a pounding head. Although the chest pain will sometimes come on its own....sometimes really badly will start hurting....for little to a long time so much that i can't move and have to hold my breath or it will send a painful jolt throughout my whole chest. Sometimes it's only a little pain...That just sorta creeps up - it hurts but it doesnt hurt that much so I can just ignore it and wait for it to go away. -That's what it's been like as long as i can remember. I remember when I was hmm under 6 yrs old I rolled over in the bathtub and i could have drowned because my heart started to hurt and i had to not move or it would hurt more, but it wasnt long only lasted a couple seconds. that's my earliest memory of the chest pains.

hot and/or cold flashes?-no
    abdominal distress?-no

"choking" sensation while swallowing?- no but sometimes when i'm breathing i cant breathe through my mouth because it feels like i'm suffocating (like the air is escaping somewhere between my mouth and my lungs) But its better once i start breathing through my nose...

shaking/trembling extremities? - no
    racing thoughts of worry about what's happening? - no, I normally just close my eyes and wait for it to stop, I'm pretty calm in almost any situation...I don't remember the last time I panicked over anything - Level headed - think things through

I took your advice and looked up panic disorder, and although some of the symptoms are the same (heart palpitations or racing heartbeat, chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness or disorientation, nausea) The rest of the details about panic disorder just doesnt fit me.
    The effects dont really fit me either.

Avoidance Anxiety: not at all
    Anticipatory Anxiety: not at all
    Depression: I'm sure everyone is depressed sometimes....I dont have thekind that interferes with everyday life though.
    Alcohol or Drug Abuse: been there done that got the t-shirt, threw away the ticket.

I hoped you were right so these symptoms could stop. I want to fly again. These symptoms make my medical invalid, which also invalidates my pilot license. By my next birthday I will be old enough for the next level-up licesnse, but I wont be able to get it if I keep having these symptoms
    Any other ideas?

Old 10-20-2005, 06:21 AM   #6
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Wow. You sound a lot like me. The fact that you've been having these symptoms since age six, makes me think that they COULD be panic attacks, just not those indicative of panic disorder. I didn't tell you in the last post, but I've suffered from panic attacks since age three, so I know how horrible they are- I'm having a minor one right now, as a matter of fact...I was sooo excited when I found the description of "panic disorder" because I literally checked off 7/8 of the panic attack symptoms, except for the "fear of dying/going crazy/losing control" ones. I knew that I didn't have panic disorder, but it bugged me for two years why I had all of the other symptoms of just plain panic attacks. Whenever I looked up "panic attack" on the Internet, I only found them associated with panic disorder, which I KNEW that I didn't have. Then, I found some website that said how there are such things as "situational panic attacks" that start due to subconscious fear of an expected stimulus, and I knew that I found what I was experiencing- my panic attacks don't come "out-of-the-blue". I can pretty much predict when they'll occur- like the one I'm having now, for example, is a result of how I got up 20 minutes ago to find I only had ten minutes to go to my psych class (turns out it was cancelled... ). Most days, I wake up with panic attacks, and I can always say why- "what if I have a test?" "What if I didn't do some sort of homework that I was supposed to?" "What if I'm late?" And these are the MINOR ones I get every day involving school alone! Anyway, panic attacks are also found in conjunction with other anxiety disorders- I have OCD and GAD, so I know that's where my panic attacks come from. I hope this helps- write back soon!
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-20-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
    Jaspar
    (female)

Jaspar HB User

Hmmmm.....I'll bring panic attacks up to the doctor....although i dont have any known anxiety disorders....If there's any other ideas that'd be appreciated

Old 10-21-2005, 07:05 AM   #8
    Vball_#4
    (female)

Vball_#4 HB User

Sounds like what I get when I have an allergic reaction to something. Food allergies is my worst. You may want to consult with an allergist.

Old 10-22-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
    WhiteLight
    Inactive
    (female)

WhiteLight HB User

It sounds to me like you have either one thing wrong with you that is causing all of the other symptoms or it is a panic attack. I don't suffer from panic attacks but I have heard that when you have one, it can feel like a heart attack, like your dying & bring with it a host of other symptoms.

It would be a good idea finding out the root cause of your chest pains. Because your tired all the time & experiencing dizzyness, nausea & tiredness it may all be down to a infection or possible Anemia.

Not all doctors will give you a call when your blood results come in. My doctors don't. So I would give your doctor a call and find out your results. If you have any borderlines, when you see the doctor, go into more detail about these. As borderlines can give you symptoms. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:05 PM   #10
    Jaspar
    (female)

Jaspar HB User

Alright, made an appointment for wednesday to discuss the results....Thanks for the suggestions people

Old 10-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
    bluearmyklt

bluearmyklt HB User

Sounds like stress and anxiety to me!

Closed Thread