It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• throat pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #1
    zeroflux
    (male)

zeroflux HB User
    throat pain

I just had mono for about a month with all the usual heavy symptoms...I had a REALLY bad sore throat and I had to take Pridisone (spelling?) to reduce the swelling...

Anyways all my symptoms of mono are gone now and have been for 2 weeks except for a sore throat. it was sore all over and now the pain has moved to the back right side of my throat. Its a sharp stabbing pain.

I dont have any trouble swallowing, eating or talking but it hurts and its constantly there...I usually take some advil and it goes away for the day.

Now on the same side my wisdom tooth seems to be infected..it hurts like hell and I plan to get it removed. Can an infected wisdom tooth cause a sore throat or can the tooth infection move to the throat?

I used to smoke for 8 years but I quit. I REALLY am scared to hear its some sort of cancer. There is no Blood at all and Like I said I can eat and talk fine, its just an annoying soreness.

It feels like a Kanker Sore in my throat.

Also if I push lightly on my adams apple the middle of my throat is somewhat painful (3 out of 10) but doesnt hurt when I swallow.

My guess is when I swallow my tounge pushed on my sore wisdom tooth causing shooting pain to my throat and ear.

I have no other symptoms except a stuffy nose. When I blow my nose its Neon Green...I read that could be a sign of a sinus infection and this could be nasal drip irritating the throat?

Also there is this bad taste in the back of my throat all the time now.

AHHH sorry if this is long, I just wanted to be detailed.

Thanks in advance
    Jeff v.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 09:40 PM   #2
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    Re: throat pain

I had mono ( a few times, actually) and I never really had that hard of a time with a sore throat, save from the beginning, when it started and I had strep to go along with it.

Strep is what I'm worried about in your case, because the first summer that I had mono, I was supposed to have my wisdom teeth out, but the doctor didn't do it because I had strep and then mono. He was concerned about the strep moving into the sockets where my teeth previously where. Do you have a fever? Any other signs of infection.. swollen glands? I would def. get this checked out ASAP. Mono is something that just lingers.. I had it first about 5 years ago and I still have effects from it. I actually felt pre-monoish tonight, but I'm hoping it's not rearing its ugly head again!

Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:07 AM   #3
    zeroflux
    (male)

zeroflux HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twizliz
    I had mono ( a few times, actually) and I never really had that hard of a time with a sore throat, save from the beginning, when it started and I had strep to go along with it.

Strep is what I'm worried about in your case, because the first summer that I had mono, I was supposed to have my wisdom teeth out, but the doctor didn't do it because I had strep and then mono. He was concerned about the strep moving into the sockets where my teeth previously where. Do you have a fever? Any other signs of infection.. swollen glands? I would def. get this checked out ASAP. Mono is something that just lingers.. I had it first about 5 years ago and I still have effects from it. I actually felt pre-monoish tonight, but I'm hoping it's not rearing its ugly head again!

Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

Well my Back Right gland is not really swollen..but its red. There are no white spots on it either. My Wisdom teeth have been bothering me for years. They move and its sore for a week then it goes away.

This time it got really sore and has not gone away. I think its infected and causing my Tonsil on that side to be irratated and sore....I have a dentist appointment on Monday. Until then advil is my friend lol...

It just scared me because this all happened right after my Mono symptoms went away.

O and by the way I dont have anything like a fever etc... am I supposed to with a tooth infection?

I was tested for strep when I first had mono and I was negative. I have a doctors appointment on Thursday so I will get a retest. Is it common for it to hit yyou after mono?

One more thing, as I said before I was taking Prednisone. Doc said that it can lower your immune system and I may get sick or an infection... Great stuff!

Jeff v.

Last edited by zeroflux; 10-25-2005 at 08:10 AM.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

You're lucky that the Prednisone only weakened your immune system, my mom had to be taken to the hospital because Prednisone can make some people manic. They call it prednisone mania. It's funny because I was put on Pr. and I'm the most anxious person in the world and it didn't affect me at all. Funny, huh?

I would think if your tooth was infected you'd have a fever, but it's not a tell tale sign. I have never had a temp. above 100 (save for when I was very very young) and I still have had mono, strep and numerous other illnesses. Some people just don't get fevers or elevated temps with illness and infections I guess.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? From your posts I'm gathering your about 30 or so ... I would think that being somewhat older would make it harder to get over mono as well. I was *older* when I had chicken pox (12) and it took me a very long time to get over it, as opposed to those who were 5 when they got it and were healthy and scratching away in a week!

Old 10-25-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
    zeroflux
    (male)

zeroflux HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twizliz
    You're lucky that the Prednisone only weakened your immune system, my mom had to be taken to the hospital because Prednisone can make some people manic. They call it prednisone mania. It's funny because I was put on Pr. and I'm the most anxious person in the world and it didn't affect me at all. Funny, huh?

I would think if your tooth was infected you'd have a fever, but it's not a tell tale sign. I have never had a temp. above 100 (save for when I was very very young) and I still have had mono, strep and numerous other illnesses. Some people just don't get fevers or elevated temps with illness and infections I guess.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? From your posts I'm gathering your about 30 or so ... I would think that being somewhat older would make it harder to get over mono as well. I was *older* when I had chicken pox (12) and it took me a very long time to get over it, as opposed to those who were 5 when they got it and were healthy and scratching away in a week!

I am 26 (Good guess lol) My problem is that I do so many things at once the factors are endless... Example:

I had Mono so I quit Drinking (Wasn't a habbit, but Alcohol is not good for you in general...) and smoking cold Turkey. Which by the way I feel Great and I think everyone should. I also Quit Drinking Anything with Caffiene in it... At the same time I started going to the gym to get back in shape. I started taking Creatine, Protein Drinks and a fat burner called HotRox. Then I got this tooth problem and started taking 3 Advils every 6 hours to kill the pain. I also work in a very Dusty Enviroment 8 hours a day...

All this change within 1 month. My body is probably Freaking.

Anyways not to get to far off topic here... but the sore in my throat I think is a Canker sore...or something along the lines of that. My reason for thinking this is today at lunch I had an orange...AHHHHHHHHHHH It stung like Salt in an open wound. If it was just a sore throat I am sure it wouldnt sting like that...

Anyways like I said, I have a doctors appointment on Thursday so we will see then.

Last edited by zeroflux; 10-25-2005 at 11:28 AM.

Old 10-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #6
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

Yeah.. your body is probably freaking out. When I quit caffine I had the worst headaches ever.. but I'm glad I did. Good call on stopping drinking and smoking..

Well least a canker sore isn't too bad.. painful yes, deadly, no.

Goodluck at your dr's appt lemme know how it goes.

Old 10-28-2005, 07:33 AM   #7
    zeroflux
    (male)

zeroflux HB User

Well I went to the doctors and he gave me some cephalex 500MG and even only after 5 doses my throat and tooth feel 10000000000000000 times better. I can eat with out taking Tylenol 3 or Advil... I guess all I had was a baterial infection that spread in to my wisdom tooth while it was moving around making it more vunerable.

*Dances* after going through mono for a month and this infection for 2 weeks I now feel like a million bucks and I never want a sore throat again. *hoardes tylenol 3 for just incase mwhahahahahhahahaha*

Jeff v.

Closed Thread