It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Can somebody please try and diagnose me....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
    enigmatics
    (male)

enigmatics HB User
    Can somebody please try and diagnose me....

I appreciate those who take the time out to reply to this thread. I need somebody to help point me in the right direction. This has been the weirdest set of months I've ever been thru as far as my health goes.

I'm a 26 year old male, 5'11, 162lbs. Right around the summer time I started getting fatigued. Waking up got harder and harder each morning. There were times when I'd get up after sitting down and I'd get a little dizzy. At work I always felt light headed and could barely concentrate. At one point I was out with my friends at night for a birthday and I developed a massive headache. Stupid me, I tried to drink a little more to get my mind off of it but it persisted and I had to go home and sleep it off. I woke up the next morning, but there was quite a remnance of the headache and it's pretty much persisted that way ever since. Right around the beginning of October I went to see a doctor about blood in my stool and he examined me and told me that I had an internal hemmorhoid. He prescribed me some suppositories and some fiber for some of the bloating I was feeling as well.

After that visit to the doc I've been just going through hell. I distinctly remember a night where I went out with some friends drinking on a Friday night and I woke up Saturday morning with one of those most nauseas hangovers........didn't even really feel like a hangover to be honest, just alot of nausea and from that point symptoms have been going hay-wire. My stomach's acted up. Often times I feel like there's inflammation in my left side where the pancreas and stomach are. I went thru a period of a couple of weeks where I was slightly nauseas with headaches. I attended a wedding one night and spent the entire time feeling extremely warm, lightheaded, with a distinct pain in my left side and ready to pass out. My eyes have been bothering me a ton, constantly irritated, dry and experiencing blurry vision (often at night). My muscles ache alot more than they ever used to, my joints are making those creaking noises alot more, and sometimes my right big toe feels a little numb on the padding. The inside of my nose is constantly getting crusty and the interior of it is always sensitive, especially nearly near tip. Whenever I sneeze I get a deep chest pain.

.........and like I said, the headaches have persisted since that massive one I had in the summer. Some days they're moderate, then there's a night like I had a few days ago where it hurt so bad I wanted to die. My neck is always stiff and there's always tension at the base of the back of my head. The inside of my ears have been aching a little bit as well plus I get ringing sensations in them nearly once a day.

I just don't know what to do. My doctor has been an absolute shmuck about hearing me out and really spending time trying to figure out what's wrong with me. Everything in my CBC (complete blood count) checked out great. And the only allergin that turned up in an allergin test was Milk, but it was so low it barely turned up. I suggested maybe diabetes, but he said my blood sugar appeared fine. I had him do a TSH Thyroid Panel to see if there was something wrong with the thyroid. The first test showed a slightly low T4 at 4.4 (the minimum of the range was 4.5) .........then he did another one a week later and it showed my T4 at 5.4 and had his nurse call me to tell me everything appeared normal and I should stop taking the Levothyroxine he prescribed me the week earlier.........people over at the Thyroid portion of this forum have told me I'm clearly Hypothyroid based on my very low-normal T4 and FT4 index.

Now the only reason I had him check for the thryoid was because the symptoms I read sounded so familiar. But now I've read up on things like meningitis where alot of people go thru the same kind of headaches and head stiffness I've been feeling. A friend of the family also told me that sometimes you can catch a flu, recover, but still have the virus stay in your system which sometimes stays up in your head and it can get triggered again. About 12 months ago I was in Seattle for some work and got pretty sick. I had an infection on my gums where one of my wisdom teeth was and was going thru extreme fevers....I thought I had a really bad flu, I was a wreck. My doc prescribed me some antibiotics which cleared everything up.

So that's where I'm at. The bulk of this strange health activity has gone on over the last 2 months. I just don't know what to do. It's been hard to get in touch with my doc. Making appointments with others who people have referred me to takes too long, most of them are booked up for another month. The head thing is starting to scare me and I don't know if I should just go check myself into the hospital. It's not incapacitating or anything, but again I always have this tension in the lower base of my head along with heachaches or head-fullness over the course of the day. I would like to add that I've kind of battled anxiety and depression problems on my own for a few years now and the past 6 months have been so unbearably stressful. I wait tables in a restaurant and I'm constantly working a ton of hours, not getting quality rest, and my eating habits are spotty at best.

Last edited by enigmatics; 11-25-2005 at 09:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 10:13 PM   #2
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

orion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB Userorion HB User
    Re: Can somebody please try and diagnose me....

So to summarize:

headaches, infections, hormone irregularity, sore muscles/joints, nasal problems, stomach/intestine pains, fatigue, dizzy, not waking up refreshed, dry eyes, variable blurred vision, and ear aches/ringing,

all these symtpoms are variable where sometimes you feel fine and other times you feel like your getting to be an old man at 26.

I will ask a few other questions,

1. have you lost muscle strength, like its more difficult to open a jar of pickles or you are more careful lifting something heavy because you see to injure muscles more easily?

2. do you have dry skin, or red in often inflamed patches especially around your face.

3. is your tongue/lips sore, especially eating spicy or acid food like tomatoes?

4. is your stool loose, almost like diahrea or is it hard like you are constipated?

5. do you have a morning backache that goes away as the day progresses?

6. do you find that sometimes just the thought of doing something is exhausting?

7. are you having sexual problems, low libido, or performance problems?

8. have you lost/gained weight?

Old 11-25-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
    enigmatics
    (male)

enigmatics HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion
    So to summarize:

headaches, infections, hormone irregularity, sore muscles/joints, nasal problems, stomach/intestine pains, fatigue, dizzy, not waking up refreshed, dry eyes, variable blurred vision, and ear aches/ringing,

all these symtpoms are variable where sometimes you feel fine and other times you feel like your getting to be an old man at 26.

I will ask a few other questions,

1. have you lost muscle strength, like its more difficult to open a jar of pickles or you are more careful lifting something heavy because you see to injure muscles more easily?
    I haven't been in the gym in over two months. I'd say that yes, my muscles have lost some strength. The only reocurring muscle problem I've ever really had was above my left tricep......I used to have a reocurring burning sensation there all the time after chest workouts. I'm also prone to early morning leg cramps.

Quote:
    2. do you have dry skin, or red in often inflamed patches especially around your face.
    There was a period at work where I'd go to the bathroom and notice my face was flushed out of nowhere. I've noticed, as well, in the past my ears had a tendency to get red for no reasons apparent to me.

Quote:
    3. is your tongue/lips sore, especially eating spicy or acid food like tomatoes?
    Yes, in fact they do actually
    Quote:
    4. is your stool loose, almost like diahrea or is it hard like you are constipated?
    My stools were absolutely great and regular prior to the time the doctor diagnosed me with an internal hemmorhoid and started me on metamucil and senekot. After starting on those I saw everything from very loose stools to dark solid constipated stools. Currently the stools are normal, except I'm not finishing. I haven't taken the metamucil or the senekot in about a month.
    Quote:
    5. do you have a morning backache that goes away as the day progresses?
    I've had days where yes I've woken up with a lower back pain, but then again my bed is somewhat off-balance.
    Quote:
    6. do you find that sometimes just the thought of doing something is exhausting?
    Yes actually, I find that once I get to thinking about all the things I need to do, my mind gets all worked up, and then I end up not doing it at all or making a poor effort.
    Quote:
    7. are you having sexual problems, low libido, or performance problems?
    I haven't seen a decrease in masterbation, but I'm back in forth with my libido. Sometimes I feel like it then I'll go thru a prolonged period where I just don't. I have somewhat of a performance anxiety though.
    Quote:
    8. have you lost/gained weight?
    The surprising thing is that usually when I get off my workout, I start to drop the lone few pounds I was able to put on (I have an extremely high metabolism). Yet recently I've been off my workout, my weight has gotten up to 162 and I have a little bit of a belly going on, which is kind of awkward for me because I have a thin, athletic build.

I would like to add that I've had this burping thing going on for months........whenever I drink alcohol, I'm constantly burping after nearly every sip. Sometimes it happens whenever I drink soda in conjunction with eating any bread.

Last edited by enigmatics; 11-26-2005 at 12:21 AM.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:58 AM   #4
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ok, well I have two possibilities:

1. you have taken antibiotics in the last year and you have a fungus/yeast infection. If so, stop all sugar for a month, get some bacteria pills from the health food store. Another sign of this is a white tongue in the morning, burning tongue and lips with acidic foods, stomach upset/burping and loose stool. You can also get this from your girl friend if she has a yeast infection. If so, she needs to be treated as well or you will just catch it back again.

2. you are beginning to see the first signs of a hormone imbalance possibly caused by a malfunctioning pituitary gland and/or low thyroid and/or low adrenal gland function. At this point I would get your hormones tested, t3/t4, testosterone, prolactin and DHEAS. You already know your thyroid number is marginal so maybe the others are a problem as well. At 26 your testosterone should be quite high, if it is only marginal, then thats another sign of hormone problems.

Last edited by orion; 11-26-2005 at 02:00 AM.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:24 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

it woulnd't hurt when you develop another one of those headaches?go to the ER and tell them your symptoms and request an MRI be done as well on your head.The symptoms that you have could (at least some)indicate a possible 'problem' within the brain.You need to cover all bases you know?i cannot believe your doc has not really gotten more in depth with you as intrying to actually find the real reasons for your on going symptoms.despite the wait,you really DO need to see a new one,honestly.you seem to be just having 'wait around' anyway,so just make an appt with one of those good docs that are being recomended by your friends.when you get a referral from someone who is highly recommending their particular doc to you it is usually because they feel that their doc is one of those 'good" ones.This IS the type of doc you really need to be seeing.Just make an appt with one.i mean,where will you actually BE in another month with this doc/still waiting for answers?I would attempt the ER thing though,really.at least they will attempt to actually try and figure out what may be causing the headaches when that is what you actually came in there for in the first place,it does not appear that your current doc is all that worried about you or he would have been moving a bit quicker for you.Seeing a rheumy doc wouldn't hurt you either as when I saw mine,he did this huge four page set of major bloodwork that tested for things i had never ever even heard of before.this particular test would at least rule in or rule out many many possibilities for you,and that IS a good place to start.the thing is is that you DO have some options here and you need to start going with those as you will get no where with your current doc.Goodluck and please keep us posted on what you find out,K? **

Old 11-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
    enigmatics
    (male)

enigmatics HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by orion
    ok, well I have two possibilities:

1. you have taken antibiotics in the last year and you have a fungus/yeast infection. If so, stop all sugar for a month, get some bacteria pills from the health food store. Another sign of this is a white tongue in the morning, burning tongue and lips with acidic foods, stomach upset/burping and loose stool. You can also get this from your girl friend if she has a yeast infection. If so, she needs to be treated as well or you will just catch it back again.

2. you are beginning to see the first signs of a hormone imbalance possibly caused by a malfunctioning pituitary gland and/or low thyroid and/or low adrenal gland function. At this point I would get your hormones tested, t3/t4, testosterone, prolactin and DHEAS. You already know your thyroid number is marginal so maybe the others are a problem as well. At 26 your testosterone should be quite high, if it is only marginal, then thats another sign of hormone problems.
    Wow. I had no idea that fungus/yeast infections could have such an effect on a person. And I have to tell ya, the symptoms I read up on over at [ please read and follow the posting rules - no websites ] really fit the description of what I've been going thru. It was about 8 months ago that I started developing the burping and the constant bloated feeling. Around the same time I had started developing quite the sweet tooth, which was completely abnormal for me because I rarely craved sweets. Yet I was getting the craving after nearly every meal and at one point I had to consciously say to myself ok you've had enough sweets today. I work in an italian restaurant too so my access to pastas, breads, and sweets is readily available. My tongue has indeed been whiter when I wake up in the morning. It kind of freaked me out actually, didn't know what was going on.

So today I went out on bought some BioK bacterial drink. There's 6 of them and you're supposed to drink one a day for 6 days. Hopefully that gets me going in the right direction. For the sake of reason I should still probably persue getting my endocrine system checked out because of how questionably low the regular thyroid panel was.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-26-2005 at 07:50 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - do not post commercial websites

Old 11-26-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User

Sounds like thyroid to me. Have they tested your thyroid?

ETA: You've already posted a thread on this on this very same board. What's up?

Last edited by Constant; 11-26-2005 at 07:46 PM.

Old 11-27-2005, 02:52 AM   #8
    enigmatics
    (male)

enigmatics HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constant
    Sounds like thyroid to me. Have they tested your thyroid?

ETA: You've already posted a thread on this on this very same board. What's up?
    I know........but it didn't generate very many responses and I was looking for more opinions.

Old 11-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #9
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

I would probably persue the thyroid angle. A low dose of Synthroid wouldn't hurt.
    However, it also seems like sometimes you have flares after drinking, so I'd probably n ot drink until I got a good handle on everything. It sounds like maybe you have a touch of anxiety too. You are *very* in tune with what's going on with your body... almost to the point of neurosis. I've been there and it's not a good place to be. Sometimes toes go numb & sometimes our noses get crusty. Not everything is a symptom of something bad. I am not saying this to be rude, but I think your headaches may improve if you did not worry constantly about what is causing them. I also think the drinking may play a part in this. When I was going through my anxiety/panic phase, getting a hang-over was the worst. I would truly freak myself out. Anyhow - at the end of the day, I have thyroid problems & at the time in my life that my anxiety was at it's highest, I was definately undermedicated.

Tell your doctor to humor you with a low-dose of Synthroid. If your TSH is at 4.4, it's not going to hurt for it to go down to 1. Also, have him test you for thyroid antibodies to see if you have Hashimotos. Sometimes with Hashimotos, the thyroid "flares up" so you can have increased symptoms. At the same time you are working on this angle, also work on not paying so much attention to the small things going on inside your body. Realize that we are human's with some odd aches, pains & nuances.

Good luck!!

Old 11-28-2005, 07:26 PM   #10
    enigmatics
    (male)

enigmatics HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zekat
    I would probably persue the thyroid angle. A low dose of Synthroid wouldn't hurt.
    However, it also seems like sometimes you have flares after drinking, so I'd probably n ot drink until I got a good handle on everything. It sounds like maybe you have a touch of anxiety too. You are *very* in tune with what's going on with your body... almost to the point of neurosis. I've been there and it's not a good place to be. Sometimes toes go numb & sometimes our noses get crusty. Not everything is a symptom of something bad. I am not saying this to be rude, but I think your headaches may improve if you did not worry constantly about what is causing them. I also think the drinking may play a part in this. When I was going through my anxiety/panic phase, getting a hang-over was the worst. I would truly freak myself out. Anyhow - at the end of the day, I have thyroid problems & at the time in my life that my anxiety was at it's highest, I was definately undermedicated.

Tell your doctor to humor you with a low-dose of Synthroid. If your TSH is at 4.4, it's not going to hurt for it to go down to 1. Also, have him test you for thyroid antibodies to see if you have Hashimotos. Sometimes with Hashimotos, the thyroid "flares up" so you can have increased symptoms. At the same time you are working on this angle, also work on not paying so much attention to the small things going on inside your body. Realize that we are human's with some odd aches, pains & nuances.

Good luck!!
    I will attest that I've been my own worst enemy with this. With my doctor giving me the run around and dealing with other doctors who are booked up for weeks on end, it's left me to ruminate alot. I literally gave myself a panic attack one night back in early October when I thought I was noticing strange symptoms. I had put them into yahoo and attempted to figure out what was going on. I'm sure you know already, but doing that is an absolute nightmare scenario - you get all kinds of scary diseases and things. I couldn't sleep that night, I was so scared. I spent the next week pretty much panicking and to be honest all that scary crap has been in the back of my mind 24/7 for the last two months.

I'd say that right now I'm so paranoid and constantly in a surveillance state of mind when it comes to things that are happening or I think are happening with my body. It's gotten so bad, for example, that sometimes something will come on television about some ailment or disease and I get paranoid that it's a sign or something. That's probably not good huh? Can high anxiety and panicking for nearly two months straight create havoc on your system?

As far as taking thyroid meds, I stopped taking the .025 mg's of LevoThyroxine after my doc's nurse called and told me he said the second thryoid panel came back normal and that I should stop the meds. It's still sitting here though, nearly 25 days or so worth. Is that smart though to experiment with it?

Currently my neck feels full and strained towards the out parts (been that way for a month now). Did you ever experience that with your thyroid? What have you gone through?

The thing with my drinking is something I've been concerned about. I'm no alcoholic (not waking up to a bottle of Jack), but I have noticed my propensity to binge drink with my buddies. We'll get to a bar, throw down a shot and a drink, then end up doing another round 10 minutes later. This'll happen like 5 or 6 times in an evening. I've noticed that for a long time now if I drink too much and don't get adequate sleep, I get sick. It's just gone hand in hand for me. One of the very first symptoms I started feeling was the burping and that was like 8 months ago.......after pretty much every sip of whatever alcoholic beverage I was drinking. I knew that couldn't be normal, but never got it checked out.

Last edited by enigmatics; 11-28-2005 at 07:39 PM.

Old 11-30-2005, 01:56 AM   #11
    shnswms
    Inactive
    (male)

shnswms HB User

Just to throw in another angle. Alot of your problems can be due to anxiety and depression. Alcohol only makes them intesify when trying to forget them. Your mind can cause some horrible things with your body. Believe me I know first hand. I had more tests in one year then most really sick people have to diagnose all these different problems that were never there. They all came up negative. My medical bills started building up and the depression just got worse. I had to get control of myself. My main enemy was looking up symptoms on the internet. Any symptom you put in can come up with some terrible disease or condition. All your symptoms seem really too non specific. I only mention this because I'm around your age and I felt like I was reading my own story. One test that can find any serious conditions with your head is an MRI or Catscan. The MRI is much more exspensive and can cost around $5000. You could get referred to a neurologist. Good luck. You don't have to battle your anxiety and depression alone.

Last edited by shnswms; 11-30-2005 at 01:58 AM.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:29 PM   #12
    orion
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by enigmatics
    I I started medicating myself with some of the leftover Penicillin V 500 mg tablets from the Nov.2004 incident. I'm not so sure that was a smart move. I'm wondering if A: my wisdom teeth that need to be removed are causing all sorts of complications as well as B: the Penicillin might have incited a male yeast infection which ocurrs when you take too many antibiotics and it destroys the necessary bacteria-yeast balance in your system.
    If you've taken two courses of antibiotics then I would bet on a yeast/fungus infection. Zero sugar and the bacteria pills is your best non-prescription bet. But you have to stick too it. In my case it took 3 months to finally beat that problem, but then I was pretty sick at the time.

Closed Thread