It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Ganglion Cysts

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 AM   #1
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User
    Ganglion Cysts

I have one on the crease of my ring finger palm side closest to the nail, has anyone else experienced these in this location? I can't seem to find much on ganglions in this area.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Ganglion Cysts

Has a doctor diagnosed it as a ganglion cyst? If not, please get it checked to be sure what the problem is.

The cause is usually due to a leak from a joint. Joints are lubricated and sometimes a little pinhole can come about for unknown reasons and when the finger is bent it puts lots of pressure on the joint squeezing fluid out into the finger tissue.

Gangloin cysts can be left alone or can be drained by a doctor. Sometimes a splint is used to keep finger from bending giving time for the cyst to subside on it's own. Sometimes if the cyst is painful, a steroid injection into the area may give relief.

Unfortunately, gangloin cysts are known to return off and on. I have gangloin cysts on top of both feet. In time they will go back down and remain down until I wear shoes that apply pressure on that area.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

Yes, I had a doctor look at it, and he told me it was a ganglion. It is on the underside of my finger (palm side) closest joint to the nail. It feels weird, when I touch it, it moves around.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Ganglion cysts end up being a little sack of fluid. Your body will gradually absorb the liquid, will take time. If the leak from the joint sealed back up it may not leak again and then it might.

Best thing is to leave the cyst alone and let nature heal, unless it is painful and you need relief. The more you touch the cyst, move it around, etc. the more likely the joint will leak more fluid and the cyst become larger. Yeah, I know, something like this is temptation to feel of off and on, but, best to leave alone.

Last edited by Misty800; 12-29-2005 at 06:51 PM.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
    MommaBee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MommaBee HB User

I have had several of these cysts. One was on my foot ,near a nerve and it made my toes hurt. I had that one removed as it was growing on to the nerve. I have two now. One on my wrist and one on my index finger. They both grew quite large for awhile and the one on my finger even got sore. They have now started to shrink. Strange little things. If it doesn't cause you any trouble like the one on my foot did, then I wouldn't bother with them. It took about 2 years for the last two to start shrinking.
    Alot of people have these so they are quite common. Nothing that you should miss sleep over.
    Wishing you well!

Old 12-30-2005, 04:02 AM   #6
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

Thanks people, Mommabee was the one on your index finger on the palm side? Mines on the palm side closest to the nail right on the crease, well a little below. its hard to leave it alone as it is on my dominant hand so it gets banged around and used a lot. It does'nt really hurt, if i touch it, its a little tender, moves around like a BB under the skin, and its swollen a bit.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

my friend had several on her fingers but they kept getting irritated and hurt so she just recently had all of them removed.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

Thanks, do you know if they were on the palm side closer to the ends of her fingers or were they closer to the palm? Did any of them ever disappear on their own? Living in Canada, mine will probably disappear by the time I can see someone to remove them.

Old 12-30-2005, 08:29 AM   #9
    wakkochic17
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

wakkochic17 HB User

they were on the tops and sides of her finger closer to the nail. As for whether some went away on their own, I'm not sure. I know she's had them drained before so it's possible one or two did.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:57 AM   #10
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I've had a ganglion cyst on the palm-side, crease at joint closest to the palm of the hand, either on the ring or middle finger. I don't recall which finger, and it's not there now.

My doctor said they have been known as "Bible bumps," because people used to take a heavy object (like a Bible) and wham the bump, which burst it.
    He did not recommend this method; it was just a little background lore.
    His wife had one on her inside of her wrist, which he had drained with a syringe, twice (it returned).

Mine only flared up when I used an electric string trimmer on my little patch of lawn-- this was about 1984. So I stopped using the string trimmer. It had been painful. I don't recall how many years passed before it went away, but it did.

kathy, you mentioned that yours gets 'banged around a lot.'
    Perhaps if you can protect it with a finger splint or something it will go away.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:24 AM   #11
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

I am going to try the splint thing, this is really annoying, if it was anywhere else, it might not be, but this is such a tender spot.Thanks

Old 01-09-2006, 03:49 AM   #12
    kathy590
    (female)

kathy590 HB User

Its still there, seems it may get smaller in the morning, and by evening its a little bigger. I tried te splint, way too annoying. I am hoping my body will absorb it in time, thanks for your replies.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #13
    ApachesMom
    (female)

ApachesMom HB User

I have had several ganglion cysts over the years. Always in a joint. Had the one on my wrist removed - no problem. Also had one in the joint nearest the nail of my right hand, middle finger - think about it. Had surgery on it 30 years ago and the joint is so near the nail, that it damaged my nail bed. This has caused an ugly fingernail on that finger. Better to just leave it alone. I currently have one on the back side of my knee. I'm trying very hard to just ignore it! Good luck to all.

Last edited by ApachesMom; 07-31-2008 at 01:13 PM.

Closed Thread