It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• What else causes night sweats?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-30-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
    pizzalady
    (female)

pizzalady HB User
    What else causes night sweats?

Hello,

I am a 42 year old female and for the past 4 years I have been having night sweats. At first it was not that bad but over the last few months it has gotten worse. It used to be like a flash of heat and then I would sweat for a minute or two and then it would go away. That would happen maybe maybe once or twice a night. Now it last longer and the sweat seems to be different, not only is there more sweat and the episode lasts longer, they are more frequent like 5-6 time a night, the sweat itself feels more oily. I also feel like I am having some increase in heart rate while they're happening.

I talked to my gyno originally (about 3 years ago) thinking it was premenopause. He said that I was too young, but I dont think that's true. But he's the Doc. So I have mostly ignored it since then. I have tried some of those hormone free alternatives to Hormone Replacement Therapy and none of them have helped. But since it has gotten worse I cant sleep and the lack of sleep is making have some confussion episodes. So what else, other than possible premenopause can cause night sweats like this? Stress, STD's, panic/anxiety attacks, PTSD?

I did found out that my husband was cheating on me about 2 years ago, and that it went on for 2 years. The begining of the affair would coincide with the onset of the night sweats. That is why I wonder sbout stress, STD's, and all of that other stuff.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
    Jon7346
    (female)

Jon7346 HB User
    Re: What else causes night sweats?

If it were 3 yrs ago that you saw your doc I would go back again. Everyone is different. Aren't there tests they can run to check? Besides the sweats do you have any other symptoms of menopause?

If there isn't anything else....any other symptoms it may just be stress. Who knows though!

Old 01-30-2006, 11:53 AM   #3
    pizzalady
    (female)

pizzalady HB User

Thank you for the reply. My periods have been irregular for about the last 6 years, so that is not much of an indicator. When I am stressed I even completely skip. Other than that no other symptoms. I did a test for menopause that I picked up at the drug store, and it said that I was not menpausal. I took that a couple of years ago and I ahve no idea how accurate they are. They are done with urine, not blood, so who knows! Maybe I should do another. But the reason I did not go back to the gyno is because I felt he disregarded my concerns and did not do any tests nor offer an answers as to why I am having these symptoms. You think he would be more concerned and offer me some sort of relief of the symptoms. So I am not pleased with him and it is really hard to find a gyno in my area. There just are not a whole lot of them.

But the sweats are not just at night anymore either which I forgot to mention. They happen during the day too.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
    Jon7346
    (female)

Jon7346 HB User

I would find a new gyno and hopefully they will take care of you. It's not hard to get some blood taken and at least go from there. They can check a lot of hormones.

Good luck and get to a gyno! Tell them you are skipping periods and have the sweats!! Do you have hair loss? Insomnia? Shakiness? Weight loss?

Old 01-30-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
    pizzalady
    (female)

pizzalady HB User

Thanks.

I have insomnia because the night sweats wake me up or keep me from falling asleep. And no signifigant weight loss, no shakiness, and no hair loss. Otherwise I am pretty healthy.

I am wondering if a general practioner can help. I havent had to see him in years, maybe I should give him a call. Like I said, it's pretty hard to get a new gyno around here.

Closed Thread