It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• A little scared.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
    SweetSixteen
    (female)

SweetSixteen HB User
    A little scared.

I really don't know what it could come from, and I'm trying to get some opinions beforehand. I'm going to see a doctor Monday probally, I just wanted to get some opinions first.

So, I have palmar hyperhidrosis (sweaty palms) and I have anxiety sometimes.

I was prescribed Robinul a long time back, which I take 3 times a day, then I got perscribed Klonopin. The combination of both were perfect. But, a couple weeks later, my doctor said, Klonopin is not good for long time use, so he put me on Zoloft, which I think was maybe 2-3 weeks ago.

I'm basically taking 3 robinuls a day, a klonopin every weekday in the morning, and a zoloft every single night.

I read on the paper that zoloft can create easy bruising/bleeding,a nd I've noticed three bruises on my legs on different occasions, so I'm not quite sure.

But, the thing that scares me the most is the past 5 days, I've had nothing but a bloody nose, this morning I woke up to one, and these red bloody long loogys keep coming out of my nose. And, they're huge, and it's been like that the past 5 days.

I've also been having a cold maybe the past week, that's finally going away.

My question is, do you think it's the combination that is causing my bloody nose, or maybe just because I have a cold, or do you think it's the zoloft finally kicking in that's causing it?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
    Scotch
    (female)

Scotch HB User
    Re: A little scared.

You say you had a cold so I assume you have been blowing your nose frequently. That combined with the medications your on could easily lead to the blood in your nose. The medicine may assist in drying out your system of fluids. The blood in your nose is probably due to your sinus/nasal cavity may be too dry. Try to put a small amount of vasoline at the opening of each nostril and/or line the inside of each nostril with vasoline (pref. at bedtime). This should help restore a little bit of moisture (at least temporarely)

Old 03-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

I take Zoloft and I'm surpised that your dr switched your meds if they were working so well. Once I went on Zoloft I noticed I bruised more (although I bruise easily) but no nose bleeds... of course I'm having a lot right now because I just had sinus surgery. I would suggest putting a humidifier in your room, because the dry air in the winter can make people more prone to nosebleeds. As the prior poster said, vasiline works very well, as well as a triple antibiotic (Like neospoin.) How much blood have you been losing? Because that can lead to anemia which causes easy bruising.. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 03-11-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
    SweetSixteen
    (female)

SweetSixteen HB User

Well, the blood I've lost has been QUITE A LOT. I guess it could be the hotweather, I woke up just right now with a hot sweaty feeling. So I guess it doesn't work well with my cold also.

And, I agree. I actually didn't want to take Zoloft. I was fine with Klonopin, but he said Klonopin isn't good for long term use. So he said to take Zoloft, and get off Klonopin once I feel it kicking in. Which I don't know when I'll notice, if I'm already where I want to be at with Klonopin. But yeah, yesterday I skipped Zoloft, and I plan to skip it tonight also, just to see if it's the Zoloft.

If not, it could either be the cold, or it could be the medication or something else. I just was a little scared, and so was my mom. And the 4th day, my neck felt a little scaley like. The feelings starting to leave.

I guess we'll have to find out.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

If you have been on the zoloft for more than a few weeks,I would not ever just 'skip' it.really.any of the SSRIs should always be tapered off of,or you will end up with some nasty side effects.

i was on zoloft many years ago and never had any bleeding issues at all.just where did you read about the zoloft and bleeding issues as a possible side effect?I have never heard of any of the SSRIs doing this.just the mode of action of the SSRIs,I cannot understand how any of them could actually have any sort of actual affect on clottinf factors at all.that just sounds kind of odd.I guess anything is inded possible,I have just never heard of this connection before and have had alot of experience,between me and my son,with using these types of meds.

I do think you may need to have some bloodwork done,at least a full hepatic panel to actually see how things are with your clotting factors and other possible labs that can indeed affect your ability to clot when there is an actual bleed.

what is 'robinul" exactly,I mean what class of med is this and just what does it do?

i think that you may have some sort of an underlying condition that is actually causing your sweaty palms and the bleeding issues.what types of tests has this doc actually run on you to try and determine the "actual' problem?Has he done any sort of actual bloodwork to see if there is anything that could be out of the normal range that may indicate another issue?Just treating the symptoms is not really telling you why this is all happening to you.do you have any other symptoms or things that just do not feel or seem 'right"?

i would really have an in depth chat with your doc when you see him and ask him just what in the heck is really going on here and if he doesn't know,tell him that well,lets do some sort of testing to actually check out some things to make sure everything,with regard to your lab work is all okay.this would just be the very basic start of really trying to actually pin point the real underlying problem.I really do not thinkIMO,that your bleeding issue is actually stemming from the zoloft.I mean anything is possible,but it just does not sound like something that would really be related to any SSRI type of med.

Unfortunetly,your doc is kind of right about the klonopin.It can create its own set of problems with long term use.maybe he would consider a much smaller dose to try with it since it does appear to work on your problem.but it is a pretty strong type of a tranquilizer type med and should never ever be stopped abruptly,just like the zoloft.do not just stop that either,bring this up with your doc to find out the best way to actually taper off,espescially if this has been taken for more than just a few weeks.

Just tell your doc that you really need to find out just what is actually causing the symptoms you are having and request the bloodwork.you really do need to know what is up with you clotting factors.also seeing another doc would also be a good possibility if you feel this one is really not treating you properly or really actually cares about your very real issues,you do not have to stay with any doc that you feel is not doing the best possible job for you or having your best interest at heart.

please let us know how that appt goes,K? good luck,**

Old 03-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
    Julesjewels
    (female)

Julesjewels HB User

I'd find a good hematologist to run tests on you for the bleeding. I went to one and he ran 13 various tests on me and found that I carry a gene that can predispose me to clotting (I suffered from multiple PE's (clots in lungs) last spring). Better to go to someone who will know what kind of tests to run. Good luck with it all! Julie

Closed Thread