It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Am I dehydrated?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
    davemason2k

davemason2k HB User
    Am I dehydrated?

Hi, I spend alot of time indoors since I'm a computer programmer. In the winter months I have been experiencing symptoms of a dehydrated person. Sore throat,dry mouth,cough,rapid heartbeat,and at times trouble breathing. I'm 6'4 weight about 205 and work out about 30-45 minutes every other day. I've tried a Vicks Humidifier but it's not really making a huge difference. I have this cough that won't go away and my mouth feels soooo dry and I notice my heart seems to race after doing random things like talking or drinking a glass of juice. This wasn't happening in the summer months but once I closed the windows and turned on the heater these symptoms appeared out of nowhere. At first I thought I had a cold but it never went away. What do you guys suggest I do to help this in future winters. It's March already so I will be able to open the windows soon.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
    Constant
    Inactive
    (female)

Constant HB User
    Re: Am I dehydrated?

The air gets very dry in the winter, especially when you are in a heated facility. A humidifier will help tremendously.

Old 03-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #3
    wiredqs
    Veteran
    (female)

wiredqs HB User

Have you tried changing the air filter for your heating system, you may have allergens trapped in there?

Old 03-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
    Scotch
    (female)

Scotch HB User

If your really, really dehydrated then by now you would probably have bad headaches and cracking in the corners of your mouth.

You said you thought you had a cold, so I assume you may have taken some medicine. Many "cold" medicines have Guaifenesin and some form of Ephedrine (Pseudaephedrine, etc.) in them. These medicines can produce every one of the symptoms you've been experiencing and leave a person "feeling" very thirsty or dehydrated.

Also, if your stuck inside all winter (when opening windows too often will lead to raised heating bills) then you should get plants, lots of them and check the air filter like wire said. Drink more water, take longer showers (steam will help with throat and dry mouth)

Old 03-12-2006, 06:54 PM   #5
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

Also, don't drink a lot of drinks with caffeine, because they will dehydrate you.

Do your insides hurt? I know when I get dehydrated, it feels like all my organs hurt and the dr said it's because they kinda shrink up (or something like that..)

I don't know how long ago you had a check up at the dr's.. but it might be a good idea to go to one.. to see if maybe you have allergies or something else causing your symptoms.

Also I've heard that the second you're thirsty it means you're dehydrated (even if it's just a little). If it's really bad, if you pinch the skin on your hand and it stays that way, you are really dehydrated.

Good things to drink are:

Water
    Juice
    Gatorade (not too much, because of the sugar)
    Milk
    Seltzer Water

bad drinks are for dehydration:
    coffee
    caffeinated colas/soda
    tea

Old 03-13-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

actually the best way to tell if you are dehydrated is if you pinch the skin on the top of your had togehter and it stays that way?it is called 'tenting' this is what we used to use,back when I had a life as an medic,to tell if someone was appearing to present with being dehydrated.there are other signs as well but the tenting would give you a clue as with any normal well hydrated person the skin would bounce right back,when it tents,it is because the fliud level is not up to where it should be in the body.also having very dark yellow or deep yellow urine would be a great indicator.don't count the first one in the morning when you get up,that one is almost always the darkest one of the day.

I think you may be more likely to be really just suffering from the dryness in the air like the others mentioned,it is very very common this time of year.just stay really well hydrated during the course of the day and get that humidifier.I drink ice water from the time i get up til I go to bed.those night time potty calls suck,but you can cut back starting after dinner so it isn't a huge problem.but you should be drinking alot of water during the day anyway as it helps to keep things running much more efficiently and helps rid your body of he toxins that you come in contact with during the day.**

Closed Thread