It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Pancreatitis? Liver Disease? Something else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
    batark
    (male)

batark HB User
    Pancreatitis? Liver Disease? Something else?

November of 2005 my fiancée began to exhibit symptoms that would later put her in the hospital.

• She began to have rather severe pain in her upper right side, just under her ribcage.
    • Family Doctor prescribes antibiotics and pain medications for Pleurisy which she takes through December, supplemented with Tylenol for pain.
    • There is no relief through this time frame
    • January 4th of 2006 finds her at the emergency room in liver failure, enzymes around 15,000, spends the month of January there, goes into kidney failure and is on dialysis for two weeks. Liver and Kidneys seem to repair themselves.
    • Pancreatic enzyme levels are high at one point during her stay.
    • Dismissed from the hospital….high grade fever for 3 days after discharge, over 104.
    • Vomits on a daily basis, esp. after intake of food.
    • Visits hospital again in the hometown of her parents as she has gone there to recoup. Diagnosed with Pancreatitis and Gallstones.
    • Continues to throw up on a daily basis, even to this day.
    • Returns to the hospital on March 21 after continuous vomiting and continued severe pain.
    • Admitted with elevated liver enzymes
    • Liver enzymes climb above 600 and then trend downwards.
    • Gallbladder study reveals no problems with the Gallbladder and no stones.
    • No forms of hepatitis.
    • EGD shows nothing.
    • Has a Needle Liver Biopsy, have not heard results from that yet.
    • Liver Doc is at a loss as to what is happening. Suggests sending her to Dallas for Pancreas treatment.
    • Thinks it may be auto-immune, linked to Pancreas or something viral.
    • She is sent home so that she can rest….Dr tells her he will see her back soon, sets an appointment for two weeks and tells her he may see her before then in the hospital.
    • She still throws up everyday, has no energy to do any activities and has extreme pain under her ribcage which radiates to her back
    • She is a 34 year old Caucasian, 5’3, 120 pounds in good health before all this, doesn’t drink at all now and only moderately before all of this. Has not had any otc meds since December.

Any ideas where to go from here appreciated. She is in constant pain and takes Demerol for that but tries to only take it before bedtime to sleep. Her life is at a standstill.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
    Sureshot
    (male)

Sureshot HB User
    Re: Pancreatitis? Liver Disease? Something else?

Have they done a Liver Biopsy?

Look up Wilsons Disease.

Persuade/nag the doctors to do more.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:44 AM   #3
    6foot3
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

6foot3 HB User

First i'd always start with the DR'S and have every test done etc. also change DR'S. if you feel so, secondly after they have ruled out everything and are stumped and with that many symptoms then sometimes the only thing left is to try somethng radical and a ''Therapeutic Fast'' may work. There's different books and sites out there to explain more about it..Yrs ago when i was sick i radically changed my diet but first started a fast and it helped me alot... best wishes......

Old 04-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #4
    Susannah
    (female)

Susannah HB User

You really need to get the doctors to run more tests. Just telling your girlfriend to come in every 2 weeks despite the fact that they don't know what's going on and she's throwing up every day is unacceptable. Do a search for hepatic failure at eMedicine and it will give you lots of ideas about tests to have her ask for.

Last edited by Susannah; 04-07-2006 at 10:43 PM.

Old 04-07-2006, 06:06 PM   #5
    made2k
    (male)

made2k HB User

I dont know why they wouldnt have not tested this but has she had her blood sugar tested. I have diabetes and have had it for a while. if her blood sugar is at an extreme high it can cause your kidneys to shut down, you can go blind and other stuff. Throwing up is definatly something else that happens with ketoacidosis (result of high sugars). if she hasnt had this checked yet i would have it done soon. high blood sugars also result in no energy, extreme illness and major stomach pain.

Last edited by made2k; 04-07-2006 at 06:09 PM. Reason: adding more

Old 04-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Omg. It sounds like your fiance is really suffering. Im really sorry your both going through this. I have no idea what this could be but I'll throw out a few ideas you can look into if she hasn't been tested for this already. Best to get checked for everything when doctors are stumped. Have her checked for diabetes, ketatocis, liver biopsy, ANA, autoimmune disease, lupus, blood disorders (some blood disorders cause organ failure in extreme cases), get MRI scans done of her ENTIRE body just incase that might pick something up and collect her vomit and stool (yuck i know) and send this off as a sample for tests to be run. It might pick something up also. Good luck to you both.

Closed Thread