It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Little Red Pin Pricks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
    lena_33
    (female)

lena_33 HB User
    Little Red Pin Pricks

All over my arms and thighs I've been getting little red dots that look like pin pricks. It appears like I have a very very small build up of blood underneath the skin, and if I press my finger over them the blood goes away but then comes back. None of the dots are larger then a pin *****. I started getting these last year when I got very sick with a virus and stress and then debilitating anxiety. At the time last year I have been checked repeatedly in my blood and my blood looks good. I have often dehydrated however, and sit on my legs a lot and sleep on my arms so they often fall asleep while I'm asleep. The idea that it's cancer defiently doesn't help my anxiety much, so I'm going to see a doctor. In the meantime, does anyone have any ideas? They do not itch and I don't feel them, but they just keep appearing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    Re: Little Red Pin Pricks

I have those too... my nurse said something about them while I was getting an IV, but she didn't say there was any cause for concern. I think it might be from anemia.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
    lena_33
    (female)

lena_33 HB User

I've been checked for anemia several times and I eat tons of protein.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
    Sunlover
    Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

What that is called is petechiae and the following are some of the causes. Being that your blood is good and has been checked out you could probably eliminate some of the bad ones like leukemia and platelet deficiencies

injury or trauma
    allergic reactions to medications
    autoimmune disorders
    liver disorders, such as cirrhosis
    infections, such as mononucleosis and endocarditis
    bone marrow disorders, such as leukemia
    thrombocytopenia, a deficiency of platelets
    nutritional deficiencies, such as a deficiency in vitamins C, K, or B12, or folic acid
    medications, such as blood thinners
    recent blood transfusions
    medical treatment, such as radiation therapy and chemotherapy for cancer
    birth, due to the pressure changes caused by vaginal delivery
    aging skin
    sepsis, or blood infection
    violent vomiting or coughing

Last edited by Sunlover; 05-28-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
    lena_33
    (female)

lena_33 HB User

From what I saw from pictures, my dots do not look at all like petechiae. They are really small, just like a needle mark but there is no redness around it and you can't even see them unless you're literally 3 inches away. The only reason I'm asking about them is that I'm a worry wart and want to know where they're coming from Thanks for the suggestions

Old 06-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #6
    snowy owl
    (female)

snowy owl HB User

From reading your description, they could cherry angiomas. They are not usually cause for concern. If the appearance changes, you might want to get it checked out though.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
    kitkat77
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kitkat77 HB User

I'm not sure if this applies in your case but I thought I'd share it nonetheless.

Friction often causes little pinprick red dots which go away in about a day or 2. I'm not talking ALOT of friction -- could be something that happens in a matter of seconds, and typically there is a fabric barrier in between. For example; wearing a sweater and lifting a heavy object, could result in these dots on the pressure areas. Also carrying a heavy tote or luggage with a strap over your shoulder, could cause these marks to occur on the shoulder.

Check out what areas of the body specifically you are getting these dots on. Are they in certain areas where you could have applied quick pressure, for any reason? Wearing a sweatsuit and using exercise equipment that has straps could be a possible cause for your problem.

If these dots are widespread then friction is not the cause.......

Old 06-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

Iam just curious how old you are..my doc said they are normal...i have them at various locations, some on the upper thigh, some on the belly.....they are called cherry something......if i find the name i will post...

Old 06-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
    kerri0500
    Veteran
    (female)

kerri0500 HB User

cherry angiomas

Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
    aspen05
    (female)

aspen05 HB User

I have those too, and i have a sister with the same thing. They look like very tiny bright red dots about the size of the end of a pin. I have them mostly on my chest and upper arm area. I was pretty worried the first time i realized them and i went to the doctor. After running some tests to be sure there was nothing else going on he said that as you age your blood vessles become weaker at the skins surface and the small vessels sometimes snap causeing these little red marks. I am only 33 so i wasn't quite ready to hear the words Aging skin, but he seemed to feel it was no big deal.
    Hope I have been of some help.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:06 AM   #11
    Kissa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

My husband has them as well and the dermatologist didn't give a specific name for them she did say that they are caused by blood vessels bursting just under the skin. She had told him they were not a cause for concern.

Old 06-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #12
    Ga Lady
    (female)

Ga Lady HB User

I have these also. ALLOVER! Some are bigger others look like a pin ***** some look like blood while others just barely present themselves. Cherry angiomas are usually the term used for these. THey are hereditary also . My mother has them ALL OVER. So did my Paw Paw. Now I do have a blood disorder that is controlled. Hemochromatosis. Discovered it at the age of 26. Right now all is well . My derm nor my dr are alarmed from these. So I am not either. I am also fair skinned. SO I see them more so I imagine than if I were dark complexioned.

Closed Thread