It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Blood test affected by Vicodin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
    Toot Toot
    (female)

Toot Toot HB User
    Blood test affected by Vicodin?

I'm awaiting a colonoscopy for symptoms I've been having. It's taking forever (to go through insurance etc.)! Anyway, in the meantime, I've had some blood work done that all came back "normal". During the time I had the blood work done (about 2.5 weeks ago now), I was taking Vicodin for the pain I've been having. I've since stopped taking it, as I can't stand the way it makes me feel. Again, anyway, someone told me that Vicodin can supress a lot of things and actually alter lab work. Does anyone know if this is true? I'd appreciate any information....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Romans 8:28

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User
    Re: Blood test affected by Vicodin?

The lab would have picked up on it and if it were a problem, you would have been notified.

I just had my blood work run last week, and I am on vicodin for post surgery pain. It was not an issue for them.

So I think you need not worry about that. Take care.

Old 07-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
    Toot Toot
    (female)

Toot Toot HB User

Thanks so much for the reply!

Do you know: Since everything was normal, does that mean I can pretty much rule out cancer? I wonder because I've had abdominal pain and blood in my stool, yet there was no elevation in blood count etc.

Thanks for any help....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-07-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just so you know,vicodin does not affect your test results in any way,if you were perhaps ever taking it ahigher doses,the tylenol in it could possibly affect some of the liver values.but this would go away once the tylenol was stopped.

as far as telling whether or not you have a possible cancer based on this type of routine bloodwork,well that really wouldn't tell you a whole lot regarding any actual cancerous tumors or anything inside of your body.while certain numbers "could' possibly be somewhat 'off' for whatever reason and depending on the actual type of cancer and wherer,this still would not tell you what is causeing the numbers to be out of the norm til you did much further testing.sorry,i now you were hoping this was indeed true but unfortunetly,its not.

hopefully your test will come out fine.my hubby has his annual colo at the end of this month.good luck and please let us know how things o for you.**

Old 07-07-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
    Toot Toot
    (female)

Toot Toot HB User

Feelbad, thanks a lot for your reply. I appreciate the straight-forward information. My test is in about a week and a half; I'll be sure to let you know what I find out. I've been dealing with the pain since the end of April and the blood since the middle of May. I'm ready to get things figured out already!

Closed Thread