It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Strange, swelling....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Exclamation Strange, swelling....

Hi everyone,

I am having some strange problems. First, I have this large knot/swelling that has suddenly appeared at the left side/base of my skull. It is very, very sore/throbbing horribly much of the time. Most of the left side of my head is also slightly tender, and my neck is stiff and sore. I have been feeling very, very nauseous and just generally exhausted. I do not seem to have a temperature, but I have had some pretty bad cold chills today, and it is like in the 90s here.

I have not bumped my head on anything to my knowledge, and haven't injured my neck in any way that I remember either. This is just very strange and rather disturbing to me. Any advice??

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2006, 07:03 AM   #2
    Baybreeze
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
    Re: Strange, swelling....

Is the swelling more on your actual head somewhere...or on your neck? Maybe you have some swollen lymph nodes and/or could be developing an infection? How long has it been since your problems started?

Or maybe it could be muscle spasms. I have problems in my spine and over the last few days ive been getting a flare up of horrible pain in my cervical spine right below my hairline on my neck. My pain is radiating and causing muscle spasms/cramps and "knots" all up the back and sides of my neck (more so on my left side), and into my jaw and I have a horrible tension like headache from it. This causes my head to feel tender as well. My neck is also painful and tender as if I had swollen glands except I think it's just a chain reaction of pain from my spine. Lately the spasms have been getting to the point that even my throat muscles are cramping and it hurts when I swallow.(which is a bit worrisome, actuallly but I see my doc soon anyway & will let him know about that) For myself....at times my pain is so severe that I get very nauseous and do vomit at times.

I think that you should see a doctor as soon as possible to find out what is really going on. If it's an infection, it can probably be treated pretty easily with anti-biotics otherwise you may end up getting alot worse. Just don't think the worst because the worst scenarios are usually pretty rare.

Keep us updated and let us know what the doc thinks (if you get it checked)

Old 07-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I agree that it could be a lymph node. There are lymph nodes in the back of the head/neck area. The nausea and stiff neck is worrisome, because of the possibility of meningitis. If you are not better, or get worse, call your doctor or go to the emergency room.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User

Things don't seem to be getting worse, but they definitely aren't getting better. The bump/knot is actually on the base of my head, right above my neck...it's on my skull itself. Still pretty nauseous, but I don't seem to be worse.

I'll try to keep you updated.

Old 07-10-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am also thinking this really could be a very tight muscle knot.I too will get these that run from my actual skull base on down thru my neck and down into my shoulder blade.is there any pain with this?do you have any sort of a really tight feeling at and below this site?does anything you do make it better or worse?what about hot or cold,does that affect it at all?does one of them make it feel better or not so tight?

this most definetly needs to be evaluated by your doc to find out just what this 'knot' really is.it could very well be the lymph nodes or it could just be a muscle knot.i get some real doozys there from time to time that require trigger point injections to actually get rid of them.I have a really messed up c spine,among other things, that is constantly irritating nerves there and they react by spasming up and tighting into little wads of muscle and tissue.this just really needs to be looked at by your doc to determine the cause of the knot.hopefully it is just a muscle that can be eventually worked out.please keep us posted on what you find out.**

Old 07-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Unhappy Re: Strange, swelling....

This is EXTREMELY painful. I actually considered going to the ER because it hurts soooo bad. I went to the doctor today and she found that the large bumps on my head and neck are indeed large lymph nodes. She also found around twenty more smaller ones under my jaw, around my check, and my underarms. Unfortunately she found no indicator of any specific illness. She said I probably just have a viral infection, which totally sucks because nothing can be done for it....

So, I've been having to take about three to four ibuprofen four times a day, and some Tylenol PM to sleep....I pray I get better soon, I feel like such

Old 07-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #7
    kehorner
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Mono? My lymph nodes on the back of my neck swelled up a lot when I had mono. I never had a sore throat, and not much of a fever, either. If you haven't had it, you might ask to get tested.

Old 07-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

whatever the actual cause of the pain and swelling actually is,you should be at the very least here ,be getting something much stronger for your pain that is Rxed by your doc.if you have actually contemplated going to the ER just because of the pain,it needs to be appropriately evaluated and treated by your doc.

you DO have an actual legal right to have any pain appropriately treated by your doc,this is now a law.to not treat someone who is in such obvious pain is illegal,and neglect.you really DO need to explain to your doc the true nature of the pain you are having and ask her to please help you to get the pain under some sort of control.the longer any pain goes untreated,the harder it is going to be to actually control when she finally wakes up and sees the need.this really needs to be done now.you should NOT have to suffer with this,really.you DO deserve better.and there are much better options out there and availiable for her to Rx you in this situation.tell her you just need to reach a TOLERABLE level,thats all,just tolerable.i am just really kind of shocked that she would see you like you must be actually presenting at your visits with her and her not wanting to try and at the very least here,get comfortable.

If I were you,and the pain gets too much to bear,GO to the ER for some help.i think in your situation they would see the need to try and help you.but hopefully you wont have to once you explain the nature of your pain to your doc.when there are many possible ways to treat pain and she doesn't use any of them to try and help you,well it really is neglect and inhumane to just continue to let you suffer with this,really.hopefully once you actually tell her how bad this really is,she will just do the right thing.hope you get some answers here soon and can get this treated and move on.good luck,**

Old 07-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #9
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to talk with her again tomorrow. The pain really hasn't gotten under anymore control, and other symptoms seem to be getting worse. The larger lymph on my neck is continuing to swell, it is about the circumference of a ping pong ball now, and it is VISIBLY swollen. I too can't believe she didn't provide me with something else to help me. She said that my depression was exaggerating the pain and I shouldn't be so concerned, because the majority of it is in my head....

Doctors really p*** me off sometimes. I hope she will be a better listener tomorrow....

Thanks again

-Vers

Old 07-14-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
    *Versailles*
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

*Versailles* HB User
    Unhappy Re: Strange, swelling....

Hi everyone,

I still have NO answers. I went to another doctor and she did some blood tests. She tested me for mono and strep, and did a white blood cell count. All of it came back normal...but I am still very sick. None of the lymph nodes have gone down and my neck still hurts really, really bad. My shoulder on my left side also is hurting now. I've been more nauseous, and I've been having very sudden tired spells.

Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks,
    Vers

Old 09-28-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
    windorabug5
    (female)

windorabug5 HB User

Hi there, I was just wondering how all of this had turned out for you? It sounds like something that I went thru about 3 years ago and I never found out what was really going on with me either. I hope all is well!!

Closed Thread