It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• HELP- Took Valium 6 days ago. been to ER twice since

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
    Kc182
    (female)

Kc182 HB User
    HELP- Took Valium 6 days ago. been to ER twice since

Need insight please

I foolishly took a 10mg diazepam on thursday nite (5 nites ago) just to relax. I woke up the next morning feeling very out of it and dreamy. I used to party alot couple years ago and in high school and occasionaly do currently, so i dont think my drug tolerancy is that low. I went to the ER and they did a Cat scan of my brain and all the major blood work and everything came back fine.

So the doctors just keep tellin me everything is fine and just takes time to get out of my system, But on the other hand they said that i should be all better by wednesday. It is now tuesday nite and i still dont feel normal. Words are very hard to describe the way i do feel but some vague descriptive words would be just out of it, feels like im looking through someone elses eyes, pretty sensitive to lightm just that dreamy description. I know valium typically has a very long half life but i think that i should feel somewhat better almost 100 hours later. Any similar experiences or advice from anyone. i have a descent appetite but just everything looks surreal out of my eyes. Any comments are deeply appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: HELP- Took Valium 6 days ago. been to ER twice since

KC-
    This valium that you took, was it yours or was it something that a friend gave you? Also, regardless of whether it was yours or not, how old was the pill? Medications do have a shelf life, and if this valium was expired, or not stored properly it could potentially cause worse side effects.

Have you ever taken valium before for any kind of medical condition or just partying? If so, did it affect you for a long time?

The only thing I could suggest is to drink plenty of water. Lots of it to try and flush your system. If you don't feel more normal very soon, then you need to go back to the doctor and let him know.

valium is pretty strong stuff and can really hit you hard sometimes. 10 mgs. is a pretty hefty dose as well. I had major surgery on my knee and afterwards was given half that dose and it made me loopy for quite some time. That stuff is harsh, really.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Lezlee

Old 07-12-2006, 12:23 AM   #3
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

Well, there is nothing you can do now - you took it, you know what you did, was a bad idea, and luckily, you're still alive! The brain is very powerful at regeneration and no matter how badly you damaged it, since you are alert enough to type out sentences on a computer, your brain will likely recover 100% in time.

You could very well have brain damage not so much from the direct effects of the drug but due to the overdose, which might have deprived your brain of the proper blood flow or oxygen while you were knocked out.

Now you have to think about WHY you did it. In my experience, people who take that level of any drug don't just do things like that once - they do it again and again. Why? Because that's the nature of addiction.

No one can answer the questions for you, but if 1) you sometimes have a hard time stopping or controlling your intake once you start taking drugs or alcohol, and 2) have a hard time maintaining long periods of complete abstinence (clean and sober),

then

you are probably an addict or alcoholic, and will continue to have such problems until you think about getting help and getting clean and sober. We'd all hate to lose you because you took too much of some drug one night, but that may be where you are headed if you don't do something about your addiction.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
    Kc182
    (female)

Kc182 HB User

The doctors have taken a cat scan and said everything should just leave my body in due time and that everyone is different. The one comment i would like to make is about the pill itslef, because my friend came back from south america on vacation and brought them back so questions may arise as to the actual pill itself. The thing is tho when i got a drug screen at the hospital on sunday, it came back positive for benzodiazepins so i know that it was real but what else was in it is anyones guess. The reason i took it so calmly is that couple of my friends did and had no complaints. I keep gettin all nervous as another day comes and i really feel no different. My question is how would i know if there was slight brain damage, would a cat scan show it? THe doctor thinks it is somewhat pyschological so they gave me lexapro to calm down and just let it pass threw my body.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

KC-
    I am not coming down on you, but sweetie, you took a pill that came from some other country, a pill that wasn't prescribed to you by a doctor? I'm not sure what the drug regulations are over in South America, but there could be other things in that pill that would be in a pill made here in the USA.

It's true, everyone's body's react to and process chemicals differently, but it is concerning that after 6 days, you are still feeling "not yourself". I wonder if that pill caused a tiny stroke like event, or something like that? Maybe it caused a chemical imbalance that needs to be addressed? I just don't know what it would be.

It could also be, as the doctor said that you are maybe just very worried and are not feeling yourself because of that worry. Worry can cause crazy things to happen within the body. Oh, I do hope and pray that in the future, you will stay away from pills that aren't prescribed to you.

Also, when did he give you the Lexapro, and how many mgs. was it? Lexapro has a long half life and can also cause symptoms like what you are having. I took them several years ago, and in my opinion, they should be taken off the market.

Please, please take care and keep us posted.

Lezlee

Old 07-12-2006, 08:50 AM   #6
    Kc182
    (female)

Kc182 HB User

I realize that this was a mistake and believe me it will never happen again. I just want to know what other tests would tell me or give more insight if there is actually something wrong. The CAT scan came up okay and they ordered an MRI, and we are just waiting to for insurarnce to clear it. If it was a tiny stroke or something of that sort wouldnt i have other symptoms, my vitals are fine and 2 ER doctors plus my PCP just say it will take time. Im thinking pretty clearly, have no problem driving, it just seems like im lookin threw someone elses eyes and my perception on things is a little altered,.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kc182
    I realize that this was a mistake and believe me it will never happen again.
    I just really want to emphasize because I would hate to see something like this happen to you again, that all the bad experiences and will in the world never made me stay away from anything until I realized I was an addict, and got clean and sober through a 12-Step Recovery.

That's me - not you - but I have never seen so-called "normies" take drugs and end up in the E.R. overdosed. Only addicts do things like that.

Closed Thread