It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Too many CT Scans?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-22-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
    podracerdave2
    (male)

podracerdave2 HB User
    Too many CT Scans?

I never knew too much about CT Scans and how much radiation was involved. I've had two CT Scans in the past two months for chronic sinusitis, and about 8 total over the past 4 years. I had 3 chest ct scans, probably 4 sinus ct scans, and 1 for the neck. I'm 33 years old, and throughout my lifetime I have had maybe 10-12 ct scans total (I think the rest were of the sinuses). It seems like too many to me! I think all of sinus scans were "limited" ct scans, which I think is less radiation, but still seems like too much. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
    simonsng
    (male)

simonsng HB User
    Re: Too many CT Scans?

hmmm.. I had the same questions once, but never had an answer for it.

I was involved in a car accident mid last year, underwent 3 surgery and countless CT scan, the records of my xray was at least 3cm thick. I had at least 1 scan every day for the 21 days stay, in some days, I had a few. So you can imagine how much radiation I could be exposed to. So if anyone has any idea was ill effects can happen, or is there such a thing as over CTed?, I think the threadstarter and me will greatly appreciate it

Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

I do not know about CT scans but I had x-ray treatment for acne when I was 19. The amount of radiation I recieved made me near the maxium rads of radition. I do not have radiation disease but do have radiation damage to my face.

It is an accumulation of rads on same area you have to be concerned about.

I forgot what the maxium safe number of rads is, ask your doctor to figure out how many rads you have been exposed to in the different areas.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
    podracerdave2
    (male)

podracerdave2 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by simonsng
    hmmm.. I had the same questions once, but never had an answer for it.

I was involved in a car accident mid last year, underwent 3 surgery and countless CT scan, the records of my xray was at least 3cm thick. I had at least 1 scan every day for the 21 days stay, in some days, I had a few. So you can imagine how much radiation I could be exposed to. So if anyone has any idea was ill effects can happen, or is there such a thing as over CTed?, I think the threadstarter and me will greatly appreciate it
    So sorry to hear about your accident last year, I hope you are feeling better. I wonder if it is common for people to get countless ct scans while hospitalized? I'm sure ct is a wonderful tool, but to me it just seems like it is overused and may put a patient's long-term health in jeapordy. You'd think doctors and hospitals would keep track and record how much radiation a patient receives over a lifetime?

Old 08-25-2006, 05:36 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i was just reading an article the other day that mentioned the possible problems in children who are exposed to too many CTs.i too hadn't actually realized just how much radiation is really involved.i have had many CTs just during the past few years since my spinal cord decided to have some major issues,but luckily,the majority of my rad work has been with MRI and ultrasound(had number sixteen MRI just a few months ago).

the article i read really didn't touch hugely on adults,mostly children since their bodies are actually developing while these are all being done. i would imagine that it is an issue on some level with adults too,but just more so in kids.whenever possible now tho,i do try and avoid any actual testing that involves the use of radiation,but sometimes,as with my angiograms i have to have to keep track of a coiled aneurysm in my brain,there just isn't a choice there.but for most cases,where a CT is ordered for Dx purposes,it is possible to substitute MRI instead.i do think there are many docs out there who really don't understand the actual limitations of CT so they will send patients for one and when the appropriate area they are looking at doesn't actually show enough ,or go in depth enough,THEN and only then do they send for an MRI.they should have just gone that route to begin with but because mostly the cost involved(CT is wayy cheaper than MRI)some actual ins companies wont even let a doc send for MRI til they have a CT that doesn't show enough,then and only then can the patient be referred for an MRI.

as a rule,i really would discuss the true need for a CT when a possible MRI or even in some cases,a simple ultrasopund can be used instead.ultrasound is really a great diagnostic tool for many many different conditions and in some cases,even better than a CT.

i am sure as more time passes,they are going to find out the real hazards of all this radiation from accumulated rads from everything from x ray to CT and angios.who knows really?i am just hoping i don't actually start to glow at some point ya know?**

Old 08-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
    simonsng
    (male)

simonsng HB User

podracerdave2
    thanks for your concern, I'm on the road to recovery with a fused lumbar column and probably the need for a plastic on my tummy area.

from where I come from, our medical bills are subsidised, but only to a certain 'class', I opt to stay in a class A ward, therefore, no subsidises was given. CT are so much cheaper (cost btw 20+ to 45+) where as MRI is around $800. From a doctor's POV, I believe their aim is to treat your illness, but since I'm zap at my tummy and lumbar area, my manly organ should have absorbed some level of radiation , my GP told me, to keep the number of CTs as low as possible, but when I was in the hospital, it never cross my mind to ask my doctors about the issue

Last edited by simonsng; 08-25-2006 at 09:22 AM.

Closed Thread