It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Muscles shake/quiver when tensed up

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
    yepbupkis

yepbupkis HB User
    Muscles shake/quiver when tensed up

Hi,
    For the past 6 months-to-a-year my abs shake/quiver strongly when doing sit-ups.
    My abs shake when bending over (not when bent over...when bending over).
    My arms shake if holding up something heavy (like a computer monitor).
    For ~2 years my upper legs shake when going downstairs one at a time, like normal speed (and I can do squats with 247lbs, 8 reps...not weak legs).
    One of my buttcheeks shakes if I stand for more than like 8-10 minutes.

Anyone ever had this?
    Could this be an electrolyte imbalance or something like that?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #2
    Willapp
    Veteran
    (male)

Willapp HB User
    Re: Muscles shake/quiver when tensed up

Wow this sounds exactly like what I have, unfortunately I have no diagnosis either as I've not yet seen my doctor about it. I did see the doctor about general shaking a year or so ago, but he assured me it was perfectly normal "physiological tremor" which everyone has to some degree or other - some people just have it worse and it becomes noticeable. Also being stressed or worried about it (anxiety) can make things worse so it's a bit of a vicious circle!

The doctor visit was before I noticed things like the shaking abs though, which I'm almost convinced are definitely a symptom of something. If I lay down and do a sit-up and try to hold it at the half way point, my abs are normal for a couple of seconds, then start shaking and get worse for about 10 seconds and then seem to get better again but doesn't go away completely. It definitely isn't muscle weakness because I'm a regular gym user and fairly fit so I know it isn't just fatigue because I can hold myself in that position for ages, but not without the shaking!

I also get similar symptoms when trying to hold a fixed position for a while - if I stand with my knees bent then after a few seconds the top muscles in my legs (quads I think) start shaking. As with the abs, the shaking doesn't stop me holding the position for as long as I want, but usually I straighten up again because it's quite uncomfortable doing it.

I did look at something called Essential Tremor, which I think the symptoms could be, but it's weird that I can do a lot of things that require fine motor control such as typing on a keyboard, playing the piano, buttoning up my shirt etc without shaking, but I get the really bad shaking as described above.

I think I'm going to visit the doctor again soon and see what he thinks.

Edit: forgot to add that I started taking multi-vitamins (with multi-minerals) tablets about 6 months ago in the hope that they might make the symptoms go away. I also cut out artificial sweeteners like Aspartame as I've heard there are possible symptoms associated with excessive consumption, and I've cut down loads on the sugar and caffeine that I intake (which was never excessive). Unfortunately nothing seems to have made a difference as yet...

Last edited by Willapp; 09-20-2006 at 04:58 AM.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
    NY 1009
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User

certain chemicals are released in the muscle during excersise and stimulates the muscles to contract. there fore shaking appears. also, certain diseases can cause that as well. If this continues you should mention this to your dr.

also if one is not using their muscles enough, they will shake when exhursion is put on them. if we don't use them, we lose them. it's so true. and the older our bodies get the quicker we lose our muscles. that's why excersise is so important. I'm just finding this out now at the age of 46. I didn't know the body went down hill so fast if we don't work at keeping our bodies moving.

Linda

Old 09-20-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
    Willapp
    Veteran
    (male)

Willapp HB User

Thanks for the info Linda. I'm sure it's not lack of use though, as I'm definitely one of the more fit population. Also I'm only 24 so I doubt age is an issue other than to suggest it's something other than age!

Strangely enough I don't actually notice the shaking whilst I'm working out at the gym because the exercises require movement rather than being still if you see what I mean. Also I do notice most people shake a little when lifting heavy weights (for example) and I know this is natural and caused by the way our muscles work.

The main reason I've not been to the doctors yet is because although I'm often concious of the shaking, it doesn't actually cause any problems at all - it's never stopped me doing something and I'm sure no one else has noticed it because they would say, and unless I purposefully try and maintain a fixed position that causes the shaking, no one would have anything to see anyway.

If things get any worse though I might visit the doctor anyway just to get an opinion.

Closed Thread