It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Sweating & Heat Sensitivity

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2006, 02:32 AM   #1
    cwaigy
    (male)

cwaigy HB User
    Sweating & Heat Sensitivity

I'm 25, male and of average to low weight for my height. Not particularly active, but not unfit either.

I find myself suffering from a severe sweat problem. It seems to be brought on by mild exertion and/or external temperatures accompanied by a feeling of being very warm.

It's an abnormal response as anything over 20 degrees feels uncomfortably warm and can trigger a sweating response, and even temperatures below that, as low as 15 degrees can feel very uncomfortable and produce sweating if I'm doing something as simple as walking.

The sweating usually occurs profusely on my mid to lower back and on my forehead which is causing me problems in social situations.

I had my thyroid checked out a while ago and the results came back normal. Any idea's what else could be causing this?

Cheers
    Craig

Last edited by cwaigy; 09-03-2006 at 02:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User
    Re: Sweating & Heat Sensitivity

Hi Craig. Are you having any other symptoms? Have you had your glucose tested?

I recommend that you have your thyroid checked again. Ask that they test the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3, T4), and thyroid antibodies in addition to the normmal panel. They are not normally run but are necessary for a comprehensive view.

Even if your results are in the normal range, they may not be optimal for you. When you get them, you may want to post them on the thyroid board at this site. The people there are very helpful and can help you interpret them.

Don't give up. You will find out what is wrong.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #3
    cwaigy
    (male)

cwaigy HB User

The main symptom I have is feeling warm all the time at temperatures most people would consider cool. (it's 20 degrees celcius at the moment and I've got a fan on me and I'm still sweating.) The sweating response is normal to the heat I'm feeling if that makes sense? So although I'm suffering from excessive sweating, it is what I consider a normal response for how warm I feel. The issue I'm finding is that I always feel warm so the excessive sweating is a side effect of that.

The slightest elevation in temperature or even a small amount of exertion such as walking causes me to feel really hot and as a result break out in a sweat. It's totally abnormal. I'm always having arguements with people as I'm consistently hot so want windows open, etc, which makes all other people cold.

I've not really noticed any other symptoms as yet, but doesn't mean they aren't there!

I've not had my glucose levels tested so it might be an option.

Cheers
    Craig

Last edited by cwaigy; 09-03-2006 at 12:30 PM.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:02 AM   #4
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

ICC HB UserICC HB UserICC HB User

craig---i have had the same problem for mos. everyone else is comfortable and i'm hot. have an enlarged thyroid that hasn't been treated yet, diabetes (diet controlled) and my glucose is good so it's not that, went through meno 2 years ago (could be that) dr. thinks i have fibr (could be that) i am going crazy trying to figure out what it is. it's not normal sweating i am just hot. just walking across the room will do it. i hope you have better luck than me figuring this out.

Old 09-04-2006, 10:22 PM   #5
    cwaigy
    (male)

cwaigy HB User

Things feel like they are getting worse! I wish I could find out what was wrong but my doctor seems uninterested. My Thyroid was tested and it's been found to be "normal" although I'm going to try and push for the other tests and get the actual figures back to post online for review.

The other thing I've noticed recently is my labido is practically zero so it could be related to the body heat and sweating problem, although I was always under the impression testosterone was the cause of sweating. The other strange thing is even though I've got a very low labido I've had an increase in MPB hair loss and a general increase in body hair so I guess it might be worth getting my androgen levels checked out.

So far I've got the following to get investigated to try and identify the cause of my body heat and sweating, can anyone think of anything else that would be beneficial to get checked out?

* Thyroid Levels
    * Androgen Hormones
    * Diabetes & Blood Sugar

Cheers
    Craig

Old 09-05-2006, 12:25 AM   #6
    mcclis_bev
    (female)

mcclis_bev HB User

Hi Graig, I was born sweating in my hands and feet, I went to a neurolgist and they did a brain scan and they found out that I was born with overactive sweat glands due to a birth defect. So all of this time I couldn't figure out why I was the only one with severe sweaty palms, feet, and under arms. I had to wear gloves in grade school because no one would hold my hand in the class rooms or out in the play courts. If your thyroid gland is normal and you don't suffer with other glandulor disorders check out the websites for this problem. I saw on the discovery channel that they have either a surgery they can do to aliminate and control the problem, or they have an injectable vacine that controls the overative sweat glands. Just make sure that your doctor doesn't prescribe you the drug called Neurontin--It will control your sweating for a short time but it's not FDA approved for this condition and the drug will give you horrible side-effects, especially in high dosages (600 mg. a day and up to 2400 mg.) and long term effects.. I know I've been there and done that for 3 1/2 yrs. and I ended up in the Mayo clinic Hospital in Arizona.....Neurontin is only approved for Bi-polar and mental disorders and seizures! If you take other medications and you mix Neurontin with other drugs it makes for a deadly cocktail! I hope that everything works out for you--let me know what you find out....good luck!

Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
    kmacdona
    (male)

kmacdona HB User

Excessive sweating is called hyperhidrosis. Primary hyperhidrosis can be genetic or it can be caused by something else, (secondary hyperhidrosis). On your next doctor visit ask to have your pancreas looked at, if they haven't already. The pancreas controls insulin which regulates blood sugar. Low blood sugar can cause someone to sweat abnormally. The sweating can be caused by something else as well. Here is a small list of conditions that can cause excessive sweating. Hyperthyriodism, glucose disorders, carcinoid syndrome, tuberculosis, parklinson's disease, certain medications and substance abuse and anxiety, to name a few. You can also google search excessive sweating and get more information.

MaC

Last edited by kmacdona; 09-08-2006 at 08:38 PM.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
    cwaigy
    (male)

cwaigy HB User

I'm still really struggling with this and despite spending what seems like forever researching the issue on the internet I can't come up with anything conclusive.

* I'm intollerant to any heat, triggered by environment or exertion.
    * I sweat a lot more and at a lower temperature than most people as a result of the above.

In addition I've also noticed the following things:

* My heart rate is usually quite high, around 90bpm.
    * If I exercise, e.g. run then my heart rate will take many hours to recover so it can often hover at 110bpm for a while after exercise.

If its not my Thyroid I'm at a loss as to where to look next. Whatever it is seems to be connected with my high heart rate, and slow recovery rate after exercise.

Cheers
    Craig

Old 09-18-2006, 04:26 AM   #9
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

hi craig----i have seen cardiologist who has outruled heart problems. thinks the palpitaions are stress related, ENT has outruled any problems in his area. saw the endo thyroid is funcioning normally but i have to have a biopsy done on nodules. rheumi has not answered when i asked if it could be the fibro. i am just hot. thermostat in my house is on 69 and the rest of the family is freezing whle i'm dripping sweat. on occassion i can't tolerate the cold. very rare. i sweat for no reason. mayb in my case it's menopause. am having that checked out on friday. good luck. it has been a 6 mos. battle and many dr.'s and still no answers.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
    MzK
    (female)

MzK HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwaigy
    I'm always having arguements with people as I'm consistently hot so want windows open, etc, which makes all other people cold.
    My boyfriend has this problem too. The temperature is only about 83 degrees but he complains that it's too warm and turns on the A/C (which makes me very nervous thinking of how that's going to run up the utility bill).

What is your diet like, Craig? Do you tend to eat meat at every meal? I have the opposite problem - I get cold really easily - and somebody once suggested that it might be because I don't consume enough protein. So I incorporated some more meat into my diet for a while and it did keep me warmer. My boyfriend eats meat at every meal so I think that may be a part of what's making him so uncomfortably warm, but he's just not willing to give up eating steaks.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #11
    greeneyed girl
    (female)

greeneyed girl HB User

cwaigy, some medicines will make you sweat I take pain meds for neck and back and I sweat like a pig.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #12
    RingItOn
    Inactive
    (female)

RingItOn HB User

For you information here are the Symptoms of high thyroid function or Hyperthyroidism (in alphabetical order)
    Anxiety
    Diarrhea
    Eye/vision changes
    Fatigue
    Hair loss
    Insomnia
    Palpitations
    Rapid heart beat
    Sweating
    Weakness
    Weight loss

Old 09-24-2006, 05:25 AM   #13
    ICC
    Inactive
    (female)

i have all the symptoms of hyper except the weight loss i have gained. endo tells me since my levels are good it is not my thryoid though i am having a biopsy of cold nodules done. is that not contradictory? have been cleared by gyn, endo, rhumi, cardio and ENT. still swating, anxious, depressed, palps, dry skin, etc.also why are my blood levels ok but nuclear scan says thyroid is in hypo range.

Last edited by ICC; 09-24-2006 at 05:27 AM.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #14
    bagady
    (male)

bagady HB User

I have this same problem to a certain extent. I get warm very easily, obviously sweat a lot during the summer days. Even during the winter, when it's cold outside and I enter a warm building, I usually start sweating. I sweat a lot on the forehead, the most embarassing spot IMO. What really gets me is sweating when I get just a tad bit nervous, then because of the profuse sweating, I get even more nervous because of the embarassment.

I've always had this problem with sweating, was most likely born with it. I am 22 now, and am probably sitting around in the low 20s with body fat %. I've always had a bit of a gut, but I hit the gym 3-4 times a week and occasionally do cardio (not lately). I eat fairly healthy most of the time, though I can sometimes go through stretches where I eat really crappy. Regardless of how I eat, I still sweat profusely so that is not the issue.

I've had a million blood tests for many different reasons, nothing out of the ordinary has ever been found. I have chronic heart burn, which I take omeprazole for. And like the original poster, my heart beat is usually higher than "normal." Though right now it's sitting at 72bpm. It's on my list of things to do to get another blood test and request a more specific focus. Any ideas?

Closed Thread