It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Question regarding brief asbestos exposure

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
    neckwear
    (male)

neckwear HB User
    Question regarding brief asbestos exposure

Recently while on the job I entered a large building that, unbeknownst to me at the time, was sealed off for asbestos removal. I was inside for 1 - 2 minutes, tops. There was a lot of debris on the floor - i don't know how much of this was asbestos. Apparently it is supposed to be bagged and removed immediately. Regardless, I'm sure I breathed in something.

So should I have reason for concern at this point or am I overreacting? I've been a complete mess since it happened and I can't seem to stop worrying.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Question regarding brief asbestos exposure

IMO, you're overreacting. Your risk is determined by the amount of exposure. This is sort of like worrying that you'll get lung cancer because you smoked one cigarette as a rebellious teen.

My husband has been a heating and AC installer for over 40 years. He has been exposed innumerable times to asbestos... even did removal in the days before the risk was known and "safe" removal was a nonconcern. He undoubtedly brought fibers home on his clothes and shoes, to which the entire family was then exposed... I to his laundry and our babies to the fibers on the floor from his shoes. While none of us knows what the future will hold, we're all just fine for now. It's nearly an absolute certainty that your 2-minute exposure did no harm.

Closed Thread