It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• High Heart Rate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
    kimberly_t_2001
    (female)

kimberly_t_2001 HB User
    Question High Heart Rate

Hello, I am a 26 year old female that has been diagnosed with lupus in the past 2 years. Here for the past 3 months or so, I have noticed that my pulse rate has been getting extremley high. While I am at work I check my pulse and oxygen sat on the pulse ox. Off and on my pulse will read that it is in the 200's. It has gotten as high as 276, then it gradually starts to make its way back down around 120's and 130's. After a while it will go back down around 80. I have check my blood pressure when this happens and it is usually around 112/69. Now normally my pulse rate will be in the 70's, but here lately it has been jumping around. I was at work the other night and my ears started to ring and they felt as if i was in an airplane but only worse, when I check my pulse it was reading 264, when my pulse went down my ears went back to normal. What could be the cause of this heart rate problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2006, 04:01 AM   #2
    Sharon76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sharon76 HB User
    Re: High Heart Rate

There is something called tachycardia which means a fast heart rate, this is picked up by a persons pulse rate.

I have been suspected of this on several occasions as my pulse has been in the high 130 range, and i always get asked the same question " do you feel like your heart is racing" sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Either way if it's that fast you need to get it checked out to rule out anything serious.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User

hi, there are all sorts of causes for rapid pulse, im sure you are aware of stimulates, caffine,nicotine,excessive sugar intake,lack of proper exercise,stress,hyperthyroidism ect. i noticed you check your pulse at regular intervals,im no dr. but i do suffer from anxiety and it is possible it could be anxiety related,not saying your case is, because i actually made it a habit "pulse checking"which i was discrete about it,. most people who do not suffer from anxiety are not that continence of body functions such as breathing, heart rate, temp the list goes on...264 is pretty high,depending on the tecniques used it is possible to count double pulses.like sharon said it is always best to get it checked regardless. if the dr. says its fine i wouldnt worry about it any more.

Last edited by hyper79; 09-18-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 AM   #4
    Sharon76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sharon76 HB User

Kimberly

Just a thought, where abouts and how are you checking your pulse rate??

Old 09-19-2006, 05:04 AM   #5
    Bracelet
    Inactive
    (female)

Bracelet HB User

My heart races sometimes for no reason at all, and sometimes when I'm sound asleep, I'll wake up with it racing. I've been to a cardiologist and I wore a heart monitor for a day, and he said the average pulse was about 98, which he called pretty much normal. So, he said he doesn't think there's anything wrong with me.

But sure, I've felt my pulse go as high as 140 sometimes for no reason, so I was afraid i had like, atrial fibrillation or something. But after some tests and some discussions with the cardiologist, I've come to the conclusion that it's just anxiety that causes my heart rate to go up. It's the panic attacks that make my heart rate go up to 140. I hate it, but I refuse to take meds, so I'm stuck with it.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
    kimberly_t_2001
    (female)

kimberly_t_2001 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sharon76
    Kimberly

I use a pulse ox at the hospital were i work, it is what they check oxygen sats with and pulse rates

Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
    Sharon76
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sharon76 HB User

Yeah i know what you mean, where i work we call them dynamap machines.

When your pulse is high are your sat levels ok??

Also i suffer from low blood pressure, postural hypotension....... my pulse rate increases alot when my blood pressure drops. I had the 24 hour heart monitor but nothing was found, also had an ECG plus an ultrasound of my heart, everything was normal, so my problem is put down to my blood pressure.

Do you have blood pressure problems??

Old 09-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #8
    kimberly_t_2001
    (female)

kimberly_t_2001 HB User

Quote:
    Kimberly

I have been checking my heart rate with a pulse ox at work.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:46 PM   #9
    kimberly_t_2001
    (female)

kimberly_t_2001 HB User

Quote:
    Yeah i know what you mean, where i work we call them dynamap machines.

When your pulse is high are your sat levels ok??

Also i suffer from low blood pressure, postural hypotension....... my pulse rate increases alot when my blood pressure drops. I had the 24 hour heart monitor but nothing was found, also had an ECG plus an ultrasound of my heart, everything was normal, so my problem is put down to my blood pressure.

Do you have blood pressure problems??
    No. I don't have any blood pressure problems. Infact, when I check it at work at is normally 112/64, or in that area. My sats are normal when this happens. But what I don't get is why does my heart rate get as high as 264. That is seriously high!!! I shouldn't even be standing with my heart rate like that. I do have slight chest pains every now and then. I went to the ER over the pains I was having and they did cardiac enzymes and an EKG everything came back okay, but this was before the high heart rate problem and I still have the pains every now and then. The ER said it was inflamation of the chest cartlidge area that surrounds the heart.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User

hi, i replied earlier to your post,i didnt look to see if you were a smoker and how your caffine intake/sugar is on a regular basis,some people are super sensitive to them and do not know it.i have had the same problem for years and come to find out i have graves disease or hyperthyroidism as most people know it. i have had tons of bw in the past and after retreiving my lab work from a number of dr's ive seen i began to compare my thyroid results, alot of times it was borderline or within range or other times it was hyper but overlooked?so it went unnoticed or because there were other symptoms present i became so use to i perhaps didnt mention in my dr visits. im being treated, actually just started. hyperthyroidism is actually more common in women,i would suggest getting it checked on a reg basis because it does change due to salt intake, stress ect and can be tricky to catch. usually tachnacardia is caused by a hormone imbalance,stimulants, sugar imbalances or anxiety,in most cases.im no dr but thats my opinion?

Last edited by hyper79; 09-27-2006 at 10:06 AM.

Closed Thread