It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Mono anyone?\

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
    mirandarose
    Inactive
    (female)

mirandarose HB User
    Question Mono anyone?\

I have a couple of quick questions? Is it possible to have chronic mono with no fever? I have had three children with strep and mono in the last 5 months. I had mono when I was 6, and I was deathly ill for like months. Could I have gotten it again but not as bad and could it be still hangeing around? How long does mono stay in the body and how long do the symptoms stay? Alot of questions!Any replys would be appreciated.Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
    GLSheridan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GLSheridan HB User
    Re: Mono anyone?\

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mirandarose
    I have a couple of quick questions? Is it possible to have chronic mono with no fever? I have had three children with strep and mono in the last 5 months. I had mono when I was 6, and I was deathly ill for like months. Could I have gotten it again but not as bad and could it be still hangeing around? How long does mono stay in the body and how long do the symptoms stay? Alot of questions!Any replys would be appreciated.Thanks.

It's probably possible to have a fever with mono, but it's not likely. A fever is the body's way of indicating infection, and when a mononucleosis infection is present, fever usually occurs. Also, mono is never a "chronic" condition. It's something that may infect a person for a length of time, but the infection is not "chronic."

Mono isn't like a bacterial infection. You don't just get it, treat it, and it's completely gone. Like all viruses, once you have it, you carry the virus forever, but your body doesn't react to the infection. In fact, most people have the mono virus, but the virus hasn't become an infection, thus there are no symptoms.

Mono infection symptoms usually resolve in 1-2 months, and as stated above, the virus then becomes dormant in the body. While most people only will become ill with mono once, there are cases of the virus reactivating, and the mono infection occurring again.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
    Leanne R
    (female)

Leanne R HB User

Mono can stay in your body for years.....a lot of people with CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) have a persistant mono infection.

Make sure you take good care of yourself, eat well etc as when you become run down the mono takes advantage and can keep coming back.

I have CFS, I had mono twice despite me always believing you could only get it once. My dr said the two strains I had were totally different....this was 12 years ago and I have had CFS since.
    Let me repeat....take care of yourself, don't over do it and take supps to boost your immune system...ie Vitamin C

Old 09-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
    _mystiger_
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

_mystiger_ HB User

Thought I would add that you should see your Doctor for a MONO spot test which will confirm if you still have a active MONO. Also get checked for EBV. This comes hand in hand with Mono.

Closed Thread