It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Weird Lip condition

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
    septemberain
    (female)

septemberain HB User
    Angry Weird Lip condition

Theres something weird going on with my lips. They were sunburnt about 6-8 weeks ago and peeled a little bit. NOt both lips and not the whole thing. Anyways, I have noticed within the last 2 weeks they have been flaking. I have gone through chap stick like you wouldnt believe. Its something more than chapped lips. I finally put this thick cream on them before bed one nite. I woke up and the affected areas looked like puss filled pimples sitting on my lip-not protruding.(eww i know!!) I (maybe shouldnt have but did) popped them w/ a needle. Now when i wake up in the morning they are insanely dry and have a scab on them. Once i put a wash cloth w/ hot water on them it doesnt look like a scab but i have to constantly apply chap stick during the day so it doesnt look all weird and gross.Why isnt it healing? Its been going on for about 2 weeks. And my lips kinda sting. The chapstick takes effect for no lie about 2 minutes and i need more! i have never had anything like this happen and i hope someone has insight! Thank you!

Last edited by septemberain; 09-28-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 02:41 PM   #2
    Dragon Fly
    (female)

Dragon Fly HB User
    Re: Weird Lip condition

Sounds like you may have cold sore (Herpes simplex, type 1) on your lips.
    I suffer from them sometimes after my lips have been sunburnt, unfortunately once you get on attack you will keep getting them as the virus lies dormant in the skin and can produce further attacks at time to time. I wear chap stick most days, because if my lips are really dry (from the wind or sun) I get a cold sore, this sometimes helps stop one from coming.

This is a bit of what was written in 'The Family Encycopedia of medicine and health' about cold sores (type 1).
    If you have never had this before the first attack is usually the most severe. Type 1 herpes usually causes a 'primary' infection in mouth and around the lips. Small painful blisters (the cold sore) erupt on the lips and can also spread to your mouth. These attacks may be triggered off by a cold or by exposure the sun or even cold winds. This type of infection can be past on to other people by kissing and sharing drinks etc.
    Some small cold sores heal by themselves after 5-7days but occasionally herpes sores become infected with bacteria which may need treatment by antibiotics or penicillin.

Maybe you should get it checked by a doctor.
    Hope this helps.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
    septemberain
    (female)

septemberain HB User

I think you may be right. In the back of my mind i was thinking it might be cold sores but i have never had one before. Your encyclopedia definition seemed to hit it right one the head. This sucks...i dont want cold sores! BOO!!!!!!! Thanks for your help though!! I really appreciate it! Glad i dont have some rare weird cancer or soemthing............lets hope it just lies dormant forever! Thanks again for your help!!

Old 10-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
    septemberain
    (female)

septemberain HB User

Help!

This apparently isnt what i have! Its been almost 3 weeks and i have been to the doctor 2 times! My lips are sore-kinda burn, feel very dry and are peeling!They peel constantly! If anyone has any idea whats going on please help!

Closed Thread