It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Arachnoid Cyst In my back

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
    littlelady2852
    (female)

littlelady2852 HB User
    Unhappy Arachnoid Cyst In my back

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has ever had a Arachnoid Cyst in thier back ? I had a MRI a while back and the doctors seen i had one back there.
    I have been having the worst pain in my back from this.I am going to my family doctor about this awful pain and see what he will give me to take for this. I have been to so many different doctors and finally know what it is, but this stupid doctor would not give anything for pain.Just muscle relaxers.
    Do you guys have any suggestions ? I am on long term disability from my old job and no health insurance.I am having to pay for all these doctor visits and medicine out of MY own pocket.
    K.C.
    Also very depressed because of pain for almost 2 years !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
    coastline
    (male)

coastline HB User
    Re: Arachnoid Cyst In my back

I noticed your post because the word Arachnoid Cyst caught my eye. My sister in law had an Arachnoid Cyst but it was on or near her brain as she had to undergo brain surgery for it. The nuerosurgeon who performed the surgery told her of two methods that he could perform to correct this cyst. One would be to attatch a drain tube to the cyst once he punctured and drained it and tunnel the drain under her skin to her abdomen where-as if in the future any more fluids were to develop the fluids would be absorbed by the abdomen vs. another cyst reforming resulting in future discomfort . He told us that sometimes these cyst after punctured and drain can heal and reform or retain fluids again and sometimes once punctured their was a possibility that it wouldn't reform. The drain would drain any future fluids if they were ever be present. The second option he gave her was for the surgeon too just drain the cyst so it would relieve the pressure on her brain, that was causing her terrible headaches and pain. I can remember her having like 4 days of agony at a stretch where she just laid and suffered in bed with unreal migraines. It was very apperant that the cyst was causing her great discomfort. The headaches started off being minor and as the cyst grew, the pressure naturally increased resulting in more pain and discomfort. I saw the scan of it and it looked like the size of a tangerine with fluid in it. She chose just to have the cyst punctured and drained. That was like 4 years ago and she has done marvelous after the very short recovery period that she had. So far the fluid has not returned at all or built back up like the original cyst was. We wish you Good luck with your surgery or whatever treatment plan your doctor implements and we all pray that it will bring you ultimatly a great deal of pain relief. I hope what I have shared with you concerning my family member will help you, and we hope for a full and complete recovery. Good Luck Jeff P.S. Really try to communicate with your physician and let him or her know how severe your pain is. If they have any compasion in there heart they certainly should prescribe you something for the pain. Make your needs be known by communicating with your DOC, most of them will listen and they should give you something to lessen the pain until a treatment plan is scheduled... Again good luck. Jeff

Last edited by coastline; 10-09-2006 at 09:28 PM.

Closed Thread