It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• 1200 calories a day ok?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
    bobshotme
    (male)

bobshotme HB User
    1200 calories a day ok?

Last time i lost alot of weight, i lost around 30 lbs in 5 months doing 1400 calories a day and lots of exercising, but i dont have as much time or energy now to do all that exercising as often, so i was wondering if 1200 calories a day would be too few and unsafe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
    bobshotme
    (male)

bobshotme HB User
    Re: 1200 calories a day ok?

I forgot to add im 18, 5'5'' 184 lbs...i did some test online where they asked my age, height, weight and how much exercise i get and it calculates how many calories i burn a day, but it seem way too high. most sites say 2000 or more a day...the last one i just checked said 3300 a day! that cant be right

My goal is to get 1200 cal a day from healthy natural foods and exercise when i have the time/energy to do so...so i was hopeing since i cant exercise as much as last time the 200 cal a day difference will help keep my weight loss going fast.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:13 AM   #3
    press
    (male)

press HB User
    Lightbulb Re: 1200 calories a day ok?

The reason you do not have enough energy is that you need fuel to have energy and excercise. I cannot tell you how many calories is good for you. However, because of the lack of energy and excercise is because you are not eating the right kind of foods and you should excercise about 30 minutes a day to help you.

You should talk to your GP and ask to be referred to a good dietian. However, I would try at least 1500 calories a day for right now. Your GP can tell you how many calories you should have each day until you are referred to a good dietian. 1200 calories a day is to few for just about anyone.

Exercise will help keep you in shape. You may have to start out with 15 minutes a day until you get use to it. Walking is one of the best exercises.
    I hope this info helps you. I am concerned.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
    bobshotme
    (male)

bobshotme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by press
    The reason you do not have enough energy is that you need fuel to have energy and excercise. I cannot tell you how many calories is good for you. However, because of the lack of energy and excercise is because you are not eating the right kind of foods and you should excercise about 30 minutes a day to help you.

You should talk to your GP and ask to be referred to a good dietian. However, I would try at least 1500 calories a day for right now. Your GP can tell you how many calories you should have each day until you are referred to a good dietian. 1200 calories a day is to few for just about anyone.

Exercise will help keep you in shape. You may have to start out with 15 minutes a day until you get use to it. Walking is one of the best exercises.
    I hope this info helps you. I am concerned.
    As of now i have enough time to exercise everyday, but im going to try to get another job to get more money. So i might be working 50 hours a week or more soon. And wont have the time or energy. But i think ill just do 1400 a day from healthy foods. hopefuly that will work without all the extra exercise

Old 10-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #5
    808Lion
    (male)

808Lion HB User

if you eat too little, your body may react by going into starvation mode... meaning it might start trying to hang onto and store as much fat as possible...
    not enough calories per day will slow your metabolism down...

Old 10-22-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
    kmacdona
    (male)

kmacdona HB User

No it's not ok. First, a question. Why do you need to lose weight so fast?
    You can't starve your body of things it needs to survive to lose weight fast. If you lose more than 15% of your normal body weight to fast it can actually lead to organ failure.
    I know we want everything to be immediate, but with permanent weight loss you're going to have to adjust what you eat and how much you exercise and your attitude toward both. With what you eat being more important to weight loss. The exercise will keep off what you lost through a proper diet.
    I would start out with an 1800 calorie diet. exercise at least 3 times a week.
    The most important thing is eating right. Don't just count calories...eat healthy foods. Fruit, vegetables, less meat, etc. You know the deal. Don't be in such a hurry.

MaC

Old 10-23-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
    bobshotme
    (male)

bobshotme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmacdona
    No it's not ok. First, a question. Why do you need to lose weight so fast?
    You can't starve your body of things it needs to survive to lose weight fast. If you lose more than 15% of your normal body weight to fast it can actually lead to organ failure.
    I know we want everything to be immediate, but with permanent weight loss you're going to have to adjust what you eat and how much you exercise and your attitude toward both. With what you eat being more important to weight loss. The exercise will keep off what you lost through a proper diet.
    I would start out with an 1800 calorie diet. exercise at least 3 times a week.
    The most important thing is eating right. Don't just count calories...eat healthy foods. Fruit, vegetables, less meat, etc. You know the deal. Don't be in such a hurry.

MaC
    Well i lost 30 lbs over a year ago in like 3-4 months time plus if i dont get results fast enough i will love momentum and stop.

I realize it wont be as fast this time because last time i got up to exercising for 45 minutes a day almost everyday, but 1800 seems a little too high. I think 1400 was good enough last time without causing in health problems.

So i just started eating 1400 a day from mostly healthy foods that will give me energy, but once i get a second job i wont have the time or energy to exercise so my weight loss will have to be from diet.

Im hoping to alteast lose 2 lbs a week..i heard anything above that is unhealthy. If i come up negative 1000 cal a day and eat mostly healthy foods, i think that should suffice and be safe?

Or would you say nothing lower then 1800 for safety reasons?

Old 10-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #8
    kmacdona
    (male)

kmacdona HB User

A normal body loses 1800 calories a day just from rest. At 5'5" your normal body weight is probably 157lbs. The problem I think with a negative calorie diet is you will starve your body of nutrients. Your body doesn't burn fat first for energy, it burns muscle. So, if you won't have time for the gym, you could probably lower down to 1500 with the right balance of food then do muscle strength excercises at home. Hell, have you ever tried to jog in place for twenty-thirty minutes? Hard to do. For safety I wouldn't go below 1500 a day. And if you continued this for a year and lost 1 pound a week you would lose 56 pounds. That would be dangerous. Or you'll be losing 30 pounds real fast then gaining it back and having to do it again? So again what is the point of losing so much weight so fast?
    If you could get your weight to the 160's moderately and keep it there, wouldn't that suffice?

Old 10-24-2006, 12:28 AM   #9
    808Lion
    (male)

808Lion HB User

you mentioned not having time to exercise in the future...
    if your health is important to you, i'd suggest that it's going to be pretty important to MAKE time to exercise...

and as a general rule of thumb the faster you lose weight, the harder it is to keep it off, and the faster you'll put it back on...
    lose weight slower, methodically, and it's easier to keep it off...
    especially if you're not "dieting" to get the weight off, but make a conscious decision to make healthy lifestyle changes for the better...

sounds like you have your mind made up though and are really just looking for validation...
    best of luck...

Old 10-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #10
    bobshotme
    (male)

bobshotme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 808Lion
    you mentioned not having time to exercise in the future...
    if your health is important to you, i'd suggest that it's going to be pretty important to MAKE time to exercise...

and as a general rule of thumb the faster you lose weight, the harder it is to keep it off, and the faster you'll put it back on...
    lose weight slower, methodically, and it's easier to keep it off...
    especially if you're not "dieting" to get the weight off, but make a conscious decision to make healthy lifestyle changes for the better...

sounds like you have your mind made up though and are really just looking for validation...
    best of luck...
    Well you guys made sense, i guess i'll try about 1500 a day. The only problem is i need the second job for money and my first job is hurting my back and making me very tired, so once i get the second job i really need ill be alot more, if i didnt need the 2nd job i wouldnt take it and exercise instead.

But i guess as time goes buy and i get more used to getting off my butt ill be able to do more and exercise and gain endurance, i hope.

One more question about the calorie burning though. I did a bunch of online test and most say i average around 2600 a day burned not just 1800...does anyone know a accurat way to find out how many i burn on a normal day?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #11
    bobshotme
    (male)

bobshotme HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kmacdona
    A normal body loses 1800 calories a day just from rest. At 5'5" your normal body weight is probably 157lbs. The problem I think with a negative calorie diet is you will starve your body of nutrients. Your body doesn't burn fat first for energy, it burns muscle. So, if you won't have time for the gym, you could probably lower down to 1500 with the right balance of food then do muscle strength excercises at home. Hell, have you ever tried to jog in place for twenty-thirty minutes? Hard to do. For safety I wouldn't go below 1500 a day. And if you continued this for a year and lost 1 pound a week you would lose 56 pounds. That would be dangerous. Or you'll be losing 30 pounds real fast then gaining it back and having to do it again? So again what is the point of losing so much weight so fast?
    If you could get your weight to the 160's moderately and keep it there, wouldn't that suffice?
    157 for 5"5" seems like alot, alot of places tell me i should weigh about 135. I weighed 157 a couple of month's ago and i still was very overweight.

Thanks for the help

Old 10-24-2006, 06:16 PM   #12
    fullwave
    (male)

fullwave HB User

Hey I'm new here. But I plan on starting to use this site more for help.

I also have a Fitprofile, which you can have. It'll help you make sure you actually are getting the calories you need to get.

Try it out. Good luck!

[url]http://www.fitprofile.com[/url]

Old 10-24-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
    kmacdona
    (male)

kmacdona HB User

I had wrote this big 'ole long reply and hit something then....blank.
    So here it is again. 157 was a little high. I was basing my weight and height measurements off of the Military Entrance Processing Station requirements.
    But based on BMI charts from the American Medical Association, at 5'5", 150lbs puts you at 25% wich is normal weight. 30% is obese and 18% is underweight.
    137lbs is 22.8% BMI. The way I came up with 1800 calories is because I worked in a hospital and a physiologist mentioned that the normal person burns 1800 calories a day without exercise and at rest. So you are almost certain to lose weight at that caloric intake even with little activity. The RDA recommends a 2000 calorie diet to maintain weight. I don't know what website you went to, to get 2600 calories but they must have had input from you to get that number. If you just do normal daily activities and nothing else you will burn 1800 calories a day.
    And to help, snack on negative calorie food such as celery or ice.

Good Luck,
    MaC

Old 10-25-2006, 11:13 AM   #14
    bobshotme
    (male)

bobshotme HB User

Thanks guys, you've been a huge help!

Old 10-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #15
    Ramzes
    (male)

Ramzes HB User

I have done allot of experiments on myself on burning calories. First of all burning calories depends on your heart rate. The higher the heart rate the more calories you burn per minute. I am in a very good athletic form and for me at rest I can get down to 60 or even less heart beats per minute which is not given to every man. So assuming you are in a good athletic for and you can bring down your hear rate to 60 bpm than you will not be burning much and if you maintain this heart rate during a whole day you might not even burn 1200 calories per day. So if you fall in this category try to at least 3 times a day do a two hour exercise where your heart rate is around 125 beats per minute. This will burn you about 600 calories per hour. But if you do not exercise you will burn around 600 calories in about 8-10 hours. This is a huge difference. I eat allot about 4-5 times a day and I still maintain my weight by following simple 1-2 hours of exercise 3 time a week. So I do not worry about eating anymore. If you want to lose a pound of your weight per day you got to burn around 3500 calories a day which is very difficult to do. The most I achieves was 3200 calories a day and I did this for couple of day and I went from 185 to 177 in a matter of few weeks. But I did not exercise every single day (around 3 times a week). So assuming your heart rate is maintained around 70-80 throughout a day you will be burning about 1600-1800 calories a day, so yes you can eat about 1600 calories a day and you will be loosing weight. My advice is never limit your body from any food your body wants as long as the food is health and not dangerous for your health. Try to eat in small amount and more frequent (3-4 times a day). Drink plenty of water and exercise. If you got any questions post them I will try to help, I have allot of experience with this stuff.

Closed Thread