It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Water makes hands swell

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-27-2006, 04:00 AM   #1
    LTSHim
    (female)

LTSHim HB User
    Water makes hands swell

Hi. When my daughter takes a shower, the inside of her hands swell. This has been happening for the last two weeks. She is 15. Last night, to rule out allergy to any soaps, we set her left hand in a pot of warm water and within five minutes the swelling had become very evident. We tried it in cold water about two hours later and that same thing, but a bit slower, same hand.

She has no other symptoms. When they swell, they hurt. They are a bit pale when they swell, no other coloration problems. They are like sponges, soaking up water. They sting a bit because she feels they are swelling to the point of tiny cracks appearing. The swelling goes down almost as quickly as it occured but leaves her hands dried out in the middle of the palm and around the edges has a different texture as a result of the swelling.

I'm a first time poster and have attempted to research this but to no avail.

Other medication she is on. For hormonal migraines that have at times produced seizures in her (within 10 minutes of an aura) she is on Keppra 500mg-2x/day and estrogen skipping the placebo. She's been on both of these meds for a year and a half without any problems and they have been very effective in avoiding migraines and seizures.

Please direct me to any information that any of you may have. Calling the doctor this a.m. but know that that will be time consuming and will require deligence. This is quicker and may help me know how to talk to the doc.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sincerely,

LTSHim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2006, 04:53 AM   #2
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User
    Re: Water makes hands swell

That's interesting, and I wish I had a suggestion for you. Just about everything else makes me swell up except water....

Will you let us know how it turns out?

Last edited by dustoffkid; 10-27-2006 at 04:54 AM.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:18 AM   #3
    LTSHim
    (female)

LTSHim HB User

We have an appointment with the dermotologist for 1:45 this afternoon. We'll what he says and I'll post the results.

LTSHim

Old 10-27-2006, 12:10 PM   #4
    LTSHim
    (female)

LTSHim HB User

The dermatologist instantly knew what it was but there is not really a name for it. It is a condition which seems to occur when the stratus corneum, (know that is probably not spelled right) the skin's surface, on the inside of the hand is thickened and it actually takes on water. When she gets out of the water, or shower, it dries and the swelling goes down.

He said there was nothing that caused it and nothing we can really do to help to stop it. Thankfully it will not cause any harm in anyway so there is not cause for concern. It could last another month, another year or the rest of her life.

He did prescribe a lotion that is meant to thin the skin called "Umecta (urea, 40%) emulsion and topical suspension featuring SanoDerm technology". He really felt it was a long shot that the lotion would work but it is worth an attempt and that we would know in a month if the lotion made it better.

Hope this contributes to this site in case anyone else has this.

I will check this thread for the next couple of days from 10/27/06 if anyone has questions I will answer if I can.

LTSHim

Closed Thread