It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Finger injury

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
    FrJackHackett
    (male)

FrJackHackett HB User
    Finger injury

There is probably a thread about this somewhere but I cannot find it. The third finger of my right hand sustained a longitudinal blow a few days ago - jamming the joints zig-zag fashion - very common injury. There is clearly no break, no swelling, just some bruising, and everything flexes, but these injuries to the small finger joints seem to take an eternity to come right. I knew to apply cold immediately after the event, but what can I do to shorten recovery time ? Heat ? Cold ? Alternating heat and cold ? Complete rest ? Light movement ?

Most people wouldn't worry but I have a heavy lot of piano playing to do in a couple of weeks if possible and want to give myself the best chance. In case there are pianists on the board, I'll put it this way, Chopin 25/6 is painfully slow in more ways than usual !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
    ar58
    Inactive
    (male)

ar58 HB User
    Re: Finger injury

You may like to try few doses of Arnica 30c. It has worked wonders for our family. Arnica 30c is a homeopathic preparation from a plant. It should be available at a health food store or a alternative medical pharmacy.
    Hope this helps

Old 10-29-2006, 11:53 PM   #3
    FrJackHackett
    (male)

FrJackHackett HB User

I have never heard of that but I shall give it a try. Thank you.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you play the piano,i would highly suggest you see a good hand surgeon for an eval.i actually went to an ortho who was reccomended by workers comp and this man just totally screwed up my finger and actually placed a cast on my flippin hand.when he took it off,nothing had changed at all and what was worse,the joint capsule had formed a solid area around my knuckle which to this day,is not normal and this happened over seven years ago.it wasn't til i was able to see an actual hand surgeon that i found out that i actually had blown the ligaments out on both sides(same type of injury you have,as i came down full wieght on that middle finger when i took a fall and placed my hands out behind me to catch my fall)but he was really ****** at that ortho and told me he really screwed me up.it took months of PT before i was able to really regain good function again.i still have that huge capsule tho that surrounds the middle knuckle of the finger.if i were you,i would take this very seriously and see the right type of doc for your injury,not an ortho but an actual hand surgeon.not just for a surgery but the best possible eval you can probably get about the extent of your injury.i wouldn't mess around,espescially in your particular case,really.good luck and please let me know how things go.**

Old 10-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
    FrJackHackett
    (male)

FrJackHackett HB User

Thank you for your concern. My injury is obviously very mild compared to yours. There was never any swelling or loss of movement, the faint discoloration has now gone and pain is subsiding. Piano playing places much greater demand on the small ligaments than daily activities do so I shall have to be sensible and not play difficult things too quickly. However, if it hasn't gone within a week I shall see somebody about it.

Closed Thread