It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Breathing difficulties - could use some advice (really long msg)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
    needGuidance
    (female)

needGuidance HB User
    Breathing difficulties - could use some advice

I am a medical mess, and was told by my medical practitioner this week that itís all anxiety. It really doesnít feel like anxiety to me, and on at least half a dozen occasions, I have been mis-diagnosed and known that the initial diagnoses was not right., and thatís what this feels like. I donít know if the problem is in me failing to communicate with the medical personnel, or their inability to listen. But I know my body, and my body is telling me my current problems arenít caused by anxiety. (Anxiety certainly aggravates the problems, but isnít the cause.)
    Little bit of background: Iíve had menstrual problems since my first period, and they got bad enough that I went to a nurse practitioner for help (I donít have insurance). She suggested depo-prevara, but mentioned depression as a side effect. Since I do suffer from depression, before I could start the dp, I had to get it under control. When I felt confident that the depression meds were adequately working, I got the dp shot. It was supposed to be effective for three months. It was only effective for two, and then I started a period Ė with all of the problems that . The pain and amount of bleeding was better than normal, but the mood-swings and sleep problems were worse. As the period is finishing, so are the mood-swings and sleep problems.
    During all of this, Iíve been having increasingly frequent problems breathing. So when I saw my nurse practitioner about the early menstrual period, and the resulting mood-swings and sleep problem, I inquired about the breathing issues. She checked my oxygen levels = normal, and my breathing = normal, and told me all of the problems, the mood-swings, the sleep problems, and the breathing are all anxiety. Well, as mentioned, two of the three are receding with the menstrual period, so clearly, my impression that they were period related and not anxiety related is confirmed.

As for the problematic breathing episodes, they started with about one episode a week (always as I started a rather relaxing walk) and since I also have asthma (told you I was a medical mess) triggered by allergies, I just chalked it up to asthma, but an albuteral inhaler doesnít help. In the five months since the first episode the frequency of episodes has increased to the point that itís happing about half a dozen times an hour. Initially, I would just realize I was out of breath, and it would take me about five minutes of focused breathing to feel like Iíd gotten a lung-full of air. Since then, Iíve figured out that if I can get myself to yawn, really yawn, then I most of the time I can get the lung-full of air feeling in less than a minute.

The nurse practitioner, in conjunction with the anxiety diagnoses, told me to take a xanex and see if that helped. I took one the night of the diagnosis, when I was having an episode every five minutes or so, and it didnít help at all. Not only did it not help, it made me really tired , so after 45 minutes I laid down for a nap; I woke up gasping for air. Needless to say it freaked me out Ė a lot!

Yes, my life has been stressful recently, but no more stressful than any other period of my life (and noticeably less stressful than several periods of my life), and specifically the last week and a half had been (until I was told all of my problems were anxiety) one of the most relaxed and contented periods I had in the last two years, and yet the episodes continued to increase in frequency. I donít know where to turn and really need someone to point me in the right direction. (I donít know if these have any bearing but in case they do, my mother has sleep apnea; the rest of my close relatives died of cancer, heart disease, alzhimers, or parkinsons.)

Any guidance will be very much appreciated! ===

Last edited by needGuidance; 12-09-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
    needGuidance
    (female)

needGuidance HB User
    Re: Breathing difficulties - could use some advice (really long msg)

UPDATE:

After talking to everybody I could, we're pretty sure it's allergies. The problems started shortly after moving into a new apartment, with new flooring, new carpeting, and new paint. And when I have been out of town for more than 24 hours, I haven't had any problems until I returned to my apartment.

Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone else has similar problems. :-)

Old 12-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
    Alagaesia
    Veteran
    (female)

Alagaesia HB User

Did the doctors check for a deviated septum. I had trouble breathing for a while and kept going to the doctors with no results. I finally saw a ear nose and throat doctor. He took one look up my nose and said I had a deviated septum.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
    stick2013
    Inactive
    (female)

stick2013 HB User

I think that you already answered your own question....When you are away from your apartment you have no problems, but when you return you do.....Check out 4-phenylcyclohexene (4-PC). it's a chemical in new carpet that can cause shortness of breath. Hope this helps.

Sid

Old 12-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #5
    footie
    (female)

footie HB User

hey it sounds like your going through the same thing that i went through. however i was suffering from deppression and my periods were always irregular. therefore when i started depo provera i started having breathing problems as well i felt short of breath all the time and i felt like i coulnt get enough air. my doctors told me it was from anxiety but i knew they were wrong i researched it for my self and found other people that were going through the same thing with the depo shot. also my side effects were hot flashes, couldnt sleep, chest pains, and breathing difficultys well i hope this helps because your not they only one. but if i was you i would go research for your self because not all doctors no what there doing remember some graduate med school with d's and others with A's well good luck

Closed Thread