It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Extremely weird alcohol induced effects... What's happening to me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
    Newbie_101
    (male)

Newbie_101 HB User
    Exclamation Extremely weird alcohol induced effects... What's happening to me?

Wasn't sure where to put this, so mods, feel free to move it.

I don't often drink alcohol, but after drinking an excessive amount of alcohol (like last night, for instance), the following day (and for about a week afterwards), I feel VERY disoriented, dizzy, hot, sweaty, shaky, pessimistic, paranoid, full of dread and worry, with a general feeling of being in a living nightmare that I can't wake up from... I also start panicking over the most trivial things and start convincing myself that I don't know how to perform simple tasks such as tieing my own shoelaces!

Last time this happened (as it's only happened twice now), I immediately went to the doctor's, and they rushed me into hospital (just in case). I had many tests done at the hospital (blood, ECG, etc), but everything came back either negative or normal and no one had any explanation as to why I was feeling the way I was. After about a week, most of the symptoms had worn off and I was back to normal.

Does anyone know what's going on, why I'm feeling like this? And if so, if there's a way of making myself feel better, quicker?

Last edited by Newbie_101; 12-26-2006 at 02:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Extremely weird alcohol induced effects... What's happening to me?

Your body is clearly intolerant of whatever you drank. The reaction might've occurred from an ingredient in the drink... for example - salicylates in red wine, or the hops malt or yeast in beer, ... or to the ethanol (pure alcohol) itself.
    To prevent it from happening again, your only options would be:
    a) to choose another type of alcoholic drink (if one ingredient is to blame);
    b) not to drink to excess (if small amounts are tolerable, but the excess is to blame)
    c) not to drink at all (if the problem is alcohol hypersensitivity).

The only thing that will help you at this point is to drink plenty of water to flush the toxin out of your system faster.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:47 AM   #3
    Bracelet
    Inactive
    (female)

Bracelet HB User

You're probbably allergic to alcohol. I have a friend who is, and he hasn't had anything alcoholic for at least 15 years. When we go out to bars, all he has is cola or something. I like that because I don't really drink either, so it's nice to not be the only one drinking soda.

Anyway, if you're having such a bad reaction, you probably shouldn't drink any further alcohol. I know you said it's after drinking a lot, but I don't think you should risk it. Your symptoms sound pretty serious. I'm sure an allergy would cause those symptoms to happen.

It's not a big deal anyway, I've never been that interested in drinking alcohol and I've still managed to have a great time at parties and other social occasions. It's not necessary to drink alcohol. Maybe you're just one of those people who can't. It wouldn't be that big of a deal to give it up.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
    Newbie_101
    (male)

Newbie_101 HB User

Thanks for the help, guys.

The first time this happened (back in September, I think it was), I was drinking port virtually the whole night. The second time (Monday evening), I was drinking champagne / white wine. Both times I was MORE than drunk, to the point where I passed out on the sofa and can't remember much of what I did. I did not throw up on either occasion, but would have probably been better off had I done!

I seem to be able to tolerate alcohol in small amounts, as I can quite happily have a beer (usually diluted with lemonade) and I'll be fine. However, I would happily never drink again as I don't even really like alcohol and was mainly using it to drown my sorrows due to a rough patch I have been and am still going through.

The effects from Monday aren't really showing any signs of letting up yet, but I am drinking plenty of water and orange juice in hope that I'll feel better soon.

Last edited by Newbie_101; 12-27-2006 at 03:13 PM.

Closed Thread