It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• how long does it take for an antibiotic to be absorbed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User
    how long does it take for an antibiotic to be absorbed?

I was given a five day z-pak yesterday for a bad sinus infection and it upset my stomach (which is odd because I've never had any problems with it before). Then about two hours later I vomited and had diarrhea...I'm just wondering if it would have already been digested at that point? My stomach is still queasy, so I'm unsure of taking the second dose. I guess I should go ahead and call my dr.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
    KittenPaws
    Veteran
    (female)

KittenPaws HB User
    Re: how long does it take for an antibiotic to be absorbed?

I'd say some of it got absorbed, i agree with calling the doctor, or you can wait until your next dose.

Maybe mention to the doctor that it upset your stomach as well and ask if you can try something different as you cant keep this one down?

Good luck on getting better

Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

Thank you for your response. I haven't taken the second dose yet, mainly as I already feel like I'm going to vomit and don't want to test the waters as it were, just yet.

I don't know if maybe it's just bad timing that the z-pak is making me sick, as it never did before. Originally my dr wanted to put me on one gram of augmenton 2 times a day for 10 days but my health insurance wouldn't cover it.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

I didn't call my dr today, but I think I will tomorrow as I threw up again after taking the med. This really stinks as this drug used to work well for me.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:57 AM   #5
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I suddenly started(after using the z pack like at least 15-20 times in the past)having the same thing happen to me that is going on with you and i still have no clue as to why.now,when i need a simple anti B for something the zithro would normally take care of,i simply get a pennicillin injection.i have real bad stomach reactions to most anti Bs,my stomach would just burn horribly for the full ten day course plus with any one i used to try.thats when i just started going with the injection.one injection into the butt and no more problems.if you can tolerate pennicillin i really would go back to your doc and see about obtaining one.obviously the z pack is not going to help you if you keep throwing it up,not to mention just feeling more miserable than you already were.i would call your doc and see about the injection,its just soo much easier,at least for me.just one shot and your good to go.good luck,**

Old 02-21-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

Whenever I have gotten a Z pack, often for a sinus infection myself, I have always had diarrhea and extreme cramps within two hours. It has also never worked for me or anyone in my family as well as things like Amoxicillin and Augmentin. Would Amoxicillin work for you? Even if your insurance doesn't cover it, it is really cheap. It has few side effects, except for maybe diarrhea at the end and yeast, which is common for most antibiotics anyway.

Nancy

Old 02-22-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
    twizliz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twizliz HB User

I called my dr's office today and felt like they kinda brushed me off, when I told them I wasn't feeling any better and had stomach problems-- told me I probably had the virus that was going around and that the zpak takes up to two weeks to work. This was from reception, they never took my name or anything. I do have an appt next week with my dr for a follow up for a sprained ankle so I guess I'll just wait until then to discuss it with them.

Closed Thread