It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Multiple Swollen Lymph Nodes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
    cnc1029
    (female)

cnc1029 HB User
    Multiple Swollen Lymph Nodes

Last Sunday I had sharp reoccuring pain on the right side of my neck, under my ear. It slowly went away, (the sharp stabbing feeling that is) the next day. But on Sunday when the pain started I noticed several swollen nodes, lumps on my right side, just the right side. Because of the pain I decided to contact an ENT. I thought ENT b/c when I was 11, 14 years ago, I had similar lumps on the right side and I went to the ENT and they did blood work and eventually a biopsy on my neck that removed one of the lumps. My mom doesn't remember much just that it was benign and it was possibly a cyst. Maybe a bracheal cyst. So I tell the new ENT all of this and at this time the pain is just more uncomfortable and tense, tight feeling. He feels the lumps and decides we are going to do blood work, CBC, metabolic workup, and thyroid workup, and then a soft tissue neck MRI with contrast. He puts me on an antibiotic and pain meds. I stop taking both after 2 days b/c I became nauseus, dizzy, and starting vomitting. My normal temperature is 96.2 but it has been flucuating from 95.8 to 98.0. My themometer is correct b/c we purchased another one just to make sure. Next we do the blood work. It all comes back normal. I did the MRI and I was called today and told that the only thing that turned up was multiple swollen lymph nodes. They put me on the zpak which I started today and I have a follow up in ten days. The thing is I believe that the lumps, swollen lymph nodes on just the right side of my neck have been swollen for as long as I can remember. Why just the right side? I am looking for any feedback on what this might be? What I should do? If it was something viral or an infection wouldn't it show up in the blood work? Other health issues I have are migraines just on the right side for the most part, tired, and my memory seems to be faltering. I never thought these things were related but maybe-you never know.

Thanks for any feedback.

C
    female, 25

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #2
    chikkie14
    Veteran
    (female)

chikkie14 HB User
    Re: Multiple Swollen Lymph Nodes

Hi, Ialso have alot of swoleen lumph nodes around my neck just below my chin... I have GERD/LPR and Doc said it because of that.. although there are times that I am having anxiety attack and think that its something of a brain problem as I also have sudden sharp pains in my neckright side, but the feeling is mostly coming frominside the ear, nose and throat area.. so I am just thinking its still because of my ;LPR... anyways.. there are times I feel better and times I feel real bad... I am just hoping for the best... hang in there ok

Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
    cnc1029
    (female)

cnc1029 HB User

Thank you for responding! I don't think I have GERD. At least I do not have the other major symptoms so no signs of it. I really appreciate someone getting back to me with a similar issue. Thanks and good luck to you too!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
    Hope4All
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

You can have swollen lymph nodes from anything, even a zit on your face will cause this, you could also be fighting an infection...cold/sinus/many things.

Id make an appt with the Dr, it could be something really simple and he can give you something to help it...plus it will ease any worry you have.

Hope

Old 03-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
    cnc1029
    (female)

cnc1029 HB User

Thank you!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #6
    wonderingtoo
    Veteran
    (female)

wonderingtoo HB User

I have myofascial pain disorder from clenching my teeth and also tensing my shoulder (from stress and anxiety). This causes a tight and swollen feeling in my neck and face, and when it's really bad my shoulder. Anyway, I've had a swollen lymph node on the same side I'm currently having the pain on, for about a month. It freaks me out a little too, but it's not hard, and it's only on one side, so I guess it just takes awhile to go away.

You are lucky your doctor is so aggressive. Most aren't. I can't believe he's already ordered all those tests! Most have a wait and see attitude.

The other thing was about your body temp. Are you taking it a lot, like more than usual. Because our body temp fluctuates throughout the day, up to 2 degrees depending on what you're doing. So don't worry. Try taking it before you get out of bed every morning to get a good idea of if it's fluctuating.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:53 AM   #7
    chikkie14
    Veteran
    (female)

chikkie14 HB User

Hi wonderingtoo... I too have the tensing my shoulder (from stress and anxiety). And my shoulders really feels so cramoy and tired all the time... can you give me an idea what to do to avoid feeling like that... its really terrible specialy now that I have a terrible health anxiety... I sometimes feel like I am about to get a stroke!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
    ticker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB Userticker HB User

Hi cnc1029. There are a couple of tick-borne illnesses that can cause swollen glands: Lyme disease and Bartonella (also known as cat-scratch fever which can be transmitted by ticks). Do you think this may be a possibility? Lyme disease can cause the other symptoms you mention also. If you would like more information, let me know.

Lyme disease and thyroid disorders can cause low body temperature.

I recommend that you have thyroid testing done. In addition to the normal panel, ask to test the Free T3, Free T4 (besides the T3, T4) and thyroid antibodies. They are not usually done but are necessary for a comprehensive view. If you get copies of your results and need help interpreting them, the people on the thyroid board here are very helpful.

Dont' give up, you will find out what is wrong.

Closed Thread