It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Rabies in deer in massachusetts?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User
    Rabies in deer in massachusetts?

A deer was struck by a car in front of my house in the middle of the day. Does this mean it was rabid. My property goes down to the house and there was fur and hair and skin all over. I went outside to see if the driver was OK and stepped in hair and it is wet out from melting snow. Did I bring "deer" pieces in with me on my carpet? Now I am scared. The deer ran away into the woods so no one will know if it had rabies or not. It just seems odd to be out during the day.

Also when it dries outside and is windy I still get leaves blown in front of my door that come in when you open the door -- like a vacuum -- I am afraid the same will happen with the deer hair and clumps. The town doesn't seem concerned with my problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by suggi; 03-11-2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: add on

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User
    Re: Rabies in deer in massachusetts?

Hi, I doubt it has rabies,actually it is not that common in whitetail/mule deer, usually smaller species such as raccoons,bats,bobcats ect. and rabies is very rare in the winter months but usually summer is it's peak times,I see 40 deer a week in my area hit by cars even in the day,we have hit 4 in 10 years? so it's a normal sight here.The deer was possibly spooked by something in the woods and was trying to escape,I have watched deer for 15 years and even a bird in a bush can set them in a run and adrenaline will push them into the danger of a highway.If I were there I would be happy to get the stuff up for the you and the neighbors,I would not worry at all, if the deer was hit very bad he is not far away from the accident site.Any question I'd be happy to help

Last edited by hyper79; 03-11-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
    HipsterDoofus
    (male)

HipsterDoofus HB User

Rabies is extraordinarily rare in deer, and even then it would have to bite you.

It was just an accident. Deer can be active during the day. They get hit by cars all the time. In my area we have lots of deer all the time. They are in my backyard every night. Over the years my own car was hit by a deer running into it and my dad was hit twice. My brother in law sees them all the time because he drives to work early in the morning. We all have deer whistles on our cars now. They're really cheap, 5 or six dollars and go on the car with just double sided tape.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #4
    suggi
    Veteran
    (female)

suggi HB User

Thanks to you both for your replies.

My neighbor doesn't care as his door is up on his porch, not down below the street level and nothing blows in his door like it does in mine. I don't know anyone else that has to rake leaves all winter long in their driveway -- actually right in front of their door. Sometimes after it is very windy you can hardly open the door. To me that is normal for the fall but all winter long - lol.

Also, we have an ice cream place/stand across the street and guess where all the napkins, paper cups, plates, even spoons end up? Right in front of my door spring, summer and fall. I guess the exercise is good for me but I think at 69 I am getting a little tired of it -- but who knew when I bought the house.

Thanks

Old 03-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User

I do not think I would like that especially others trash in my front yard, sounds like too much work, if you took a leaf blower and blew it back across the street they would get you for littering LOL.They should give you free ice cream or a discount!!

Closed Thread