It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Nose spray for decongestion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
    RainyNight
    (female)

RainyNight HB User
    Nose spray for decongestion

I had a bad head cold 2 months ago that no sinus decongestant seemed to help except for the nose spray such as " afrin". Well here it is 2 months later and it seems as though if I don't use the spray, my nose becomes a brick wall. Impossible to breath. I told my doctor about it, and he said it was the remaning head cold and some allergies (that I have never had a problem with befor) mixed into it even though I dont think a cold would last 2 months ,and to use an alergy reliefe like claritin or somthing similar. Well its not helping either. the only thing that will work is the spray I am convinced, But I hate using. I'm not by any means "addicted" to it. But I hate not being able to breath. I think this spray has done somthing to nose. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? How did you get it under control? I so long to be able to have my sence of smell and taste back..;. Any help or information would be of great help. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
    hyper79
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hyper79 HB User
    Re: Nose spray for decongestion

Hi, if you read the bottle on most of the otc nasal sprays they say 2 weeks tops!! I was addicted to the stuff for 5-6 years and when you get off it your problem is 10X as bad "rebound effect"and a month is long enough.Try steam,mints,sinus flushing,vapor rubs,saline type sprays ect.The sprays stop the natural flow of nasal secretions in turn they shrink your nasal membranes and cause excessive dryness,you need the secretions "mucus" to clear out allergins,dust ect. I used it so long I began having nose bleeds daily,no joke! By all means try other methods or see a ent for advice,I had sinus surgery a few years back and it helped but I still flush daily "no meds"I doubt you have done any damage with the time you have used it,try to quit it and bare with the stuffiness,it will get better in a few days. take care!!

Last edited by hyper79; 03-11-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
    dustoffkid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

Nasal decongestant sprays like Afrin are only meant to be taken for three days. Did you tell your doctor that you have been using it so much? He needs to know.

There are some sinus rinses available over the counter, I use the NeilMed one. Feels kind of strange the first time you use it but it really helps. Between that and my allergy med I am a whole new person.

Good luck.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
    microwave
    Veteran
    (female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User

You're not addicted to the nasal spray, but your nose is. You need to stop using it cold turkey until your nose can regulate itself again.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #5
    ILYF
    Inactive
    (female)

ILYF HB User

Yes, nose spray is extremely addictive...just using it a few times will make your sinuses shut closed without it! Yes, you have to just stop using it cold turkey and it won't take long for your sinuses to stop relying on it.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
    marcine26
    (female)

marcine26 HB User

OK first off this may come off as a commercial but its not. I just have not read of anyone having gone thru this like myself. Speaking from experience I was addicted to Afrin for years....I went to the dr and he told me the cold turkey method which backfired and did not work what so ever.

I did a search on the internet and stumbled on rhinostat. I think its [url]www.rhinostat.com[/url], but if its not, just ****** rhinostat. Its a sort of weaning program to wean yourself off of afrin. I have used this product twice and it was successful each time. The only reason I had to get a second kit was I became pregnant again and needed to be able to breathe during my pregnancy so I used the afrin for 9 months and as soon as my son was older I went right back and ordered another kit. I think you can also print out a form from the web site and bring it to your dr. If they sign off on it, rhinostat will send the dr the kit for free to pass on to you. I couldnt get an apt with my dr in a reasonable time frame so I paid the money for it.

Trust me, its worth it.

Amy

Old 07-23-2007, 11:30 AM   #7
    Pharaoh574
    (male)

Pharaoh574 HB User

DO NOT use nasal sprays period. They only cause more problems then you started with. This includes ANY saline spray that contain Benzalkonium Chloride. This perserative is what cause all the problems in the nasal passages when you use nasal spray. I know first hand. I had lots of problems due to Benzalkonium Chloride. It should pulled from the market. This product should not be used in the nose at all. If you use any nasal spray containing Benzalkonium Chloride, switch. There are a few alternatives. You breathing will improve.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
    bonzer
    (female)

bonzer HB User

i got off it by only using it in one nostril til the other cleared up.

Closed Thread