It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• vanilla smell

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
    endless
    (female)

endless HB User
    Post vanilla smell

Hi!

My first language is french so I appolagize for the spelling... I am posting this in the general Health forum since I don't know what I am dealing with... It's concerning my father. He is 51 and up until a few months ago, he was generaly in pretty good health. His problems are mostly with his knees (will most probably have an operation on both of them) and now alot of his articulations hurt. What concerns me the most is that for about a month now, he has been almost constantly smelling vanilla... when no one else can. And it happens anywhere (home, office, car) so it's him and not in his environment. He has no other symptoms. He isn't taking any medication. I tried searches for his problem and asked him if at one point he had other symptoms such as blurred vision, diziness etc... and nothing. Soooo... I'm usually good at finding causes for the weirdest problems but for this one, I have realy NO idea. If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #2
    endless
    (female)

endless HB User
    Lightbulb

Hi!

Well, if anyone is interested, my dad went to see the doctor and it seemed very clear to him that his symptoms where ones of thyroid disorder (gloiatre?). I didn't know this but his throat is also a bit swollen. It seems that the vanilla smell is a very typical symptom... I guess I'll be moving along to the thyroid disorder forum!

Old 02-05-2003, 06:32 PM   #3
    thisstarr
    Veteran

thisstarr HB User
    Hi,

Wow, I have never heard of this before, I am so glad you found out what it was...

Hope he gets better soon,

Take care,

Starr

Old 02-07-2003, 08:31 AM   #4
    endless
    (female)

endless HB User
    Lightbulb

First, thanks well, for caring, even though you don't know me. Somehow that means alot to me. While waiting for test results, I feel like I might loose my mind with worry. I'm trying REALLY hard not to but that's against my nature. I always over-worry about poeple's health, people I love and about anything and everything. Right now, my boyfriend has been sick for more then a year, has lost over 30 pounds and no doctor seems to be able to help him, a friend of mine just learned she has a brain tumor which they can't operate, both my grandparents that are still alive are not in good health and I lost the other two within the last two years and I guess I'm not dealing with that too well. I know that this is life, at leat that's what I'm strating to understand, life isn't easy, for anyone. I just have really strong doubt that I'm strong enough to go through life's normal problems. Obstacles like those bring me into an uncontrolable state of panic. And for my father, I don't know... seems to me it would be more likely that he is experiencing the first stages of a seizure. BUT, we have to WAIT. Wait for the test results. I feel that every day we wait is dangerous as it could get worst. Not matter what anyone tells me, I just know that smelling something which isn't there is bad news. Also sometimes for an hour or so, he can't smell anything. And sometimes he can't taste anything either. Sooo, I'm freaking out today. I feel like for the past two years I've just been waiting for tests results of people I love and I don't know where to find the strenght to... stay strong. Sorry for venting like this but I really needed to. Thank you.

Old 02-07-2003, 05:02 PM   #5
    Dramaqueen
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Dramaqueen HB User
    Awww you poor thing! I was really sick last year, but I got through it. You just have to take each day as it comes, and although the waiting sucks, it's just a part of the whole process.

Thyroid disorders are quite common, there are lots of people having trouble with them. A friend of mine has an overactive thyroid and after the initial diagnosis and sorting out her meds, she is still fine and in excellent health.

Good luck, sending you lots of hugs.

Old 02-15-2003, 02:11 AM   #6
    j27

j27 HB User
    Hi endless, I hope things are looking up for you. First of all- you seem like such a caring and concerned person- you have been blessed with the ability to love and be open to love. You also have the closeness and support of your family- something which not everyone is blessed with. Please take care of yourself- there are support forrums and groups for caregivers- as it is so easy to feel "burned out" and hopeless sometimes. I think you have just been given a lot to deal with at this time- I know that sometimes life can be overwhelming- but I believe you CAN get thru this and whatever else you are faced with- please don't lose faith in yourself. You are a strong and caring person- your family and loved ones are fortunate to have you in their lives- for whatever time they are given. I will pray for you and I wish you all the best. Take care and remember to be good to yourself!

Closed Thread