It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Why am I so tired? HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
    bluepianoman
    (male)

bluepianoman HB User
    Why am I so tired? HELP!

Hello. I am a 20 year old music college student. I just completed my first semester back in school since high-school. Recently I've been having a lot of trouble with fatigue. It seems that no matter how much sleep I get, I'm always extremely tired. I could get 8-10 hours, wake up, and then be tired again a few hours later. My diet isn't that great. I try to eat as healthy as possible but with my busy schedule it is not always an option. Does anybody have some meal suggestions that are healthy and easy for a college student? This fatigue has really influenced my studies. I cannot concentrate or stay focused on one thing long enough to study for it. I know I have the ability to learn very well, but this tiredness is setting me back and I need to fix it. I don't smoke, and I only drink occasionally, very lightly on weekends every other weekend or so. Second semester starts Jan. 10 and I want to be ready, alert, and focused, with minimal fatigue. Is it possible to fix this over the next few weeks? Any advice is appreciated. Also, my mood doesn't seem to be very consistent. The fatigue is making me depressed no matter how hard I try. I need some advice, I would see a doctor but I don't have medical Insurance. Recently started taking One-a-day energy vitamins but I haven't noticed much change at all with that. I usually consume 1-2 caffeinated beverages a day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2007, 10:43 AM   #2
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
    Re: Why am I so tired? HELP!

Have you been checked for mono? I think it might be worth a trip to the clinic on campus to get checked out. The extremely fatigue and lethagicness is a common sign of mono. A simple blood test can rule this out...

Old 12-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
    bluepianoman
    (male)

bluepianoman HB User

No I have not been tested. Also, my college does not have a campus clinic. I would have to go to a doctor's office, free clinic (which I know of none), or the hospital. Either way it would cost me a lot of money. Not sure what to do. It's been 10 days. I still have most symptoms. Last night I think I got food poisoning because I was throwing up all night. Now it is the next day and my body aches all over. Mainly my back and insides where my kidneys are. I also am very nauseated because any smell of food makes me want to throw up again. Wish I had some options of a doctor. It's been several years since I've had a check up. Advice? Solutions? Thanks for the support.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

Ok-the vitamin is good.
    Get some Omega-3 (good for heart and depression so they say)
    Eat breakfast.
    If you like oatmeal get some of the packets that you just have to microwave or add boiling water to.
    Cut out the caffeine, if possible.
    Do you have a blender? Make yourself smoothies. Yogurt, milk, frozen strawberries are ez to keep in the freezer, fresh banana, wheat germ.

the yogurt is good for your stomach-and drink water

Last edited by eyesworld; 12-30-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
    eyesworld
    Veteran
    (female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User

don't they make you have insurance-- at least the college insurance?

Talk to someone in student services at your school and see if they have advice. Be honest with your symptoms-the nausea and pain. They must have some experience with this issue.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #6
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I'm not sure about Minn., but there are flus running around that have the vomiting and runs attached to them that are very nasty. That may be what you have picked up instead of food poisoning. It comes with aches and pains and general malaise. Lasts a good couple of days.

Clear fluids, toast, rice, apple juice. If you don't feel better in a couple of days, I would bite the bullet and go to a walk in clinic and get treated. Write down all you issues and do a one stop shop and see what you can get treated for......

I can't believe that your college doesn't have a clinic. What do they do when you students get sick?

Old 12-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
    bluepianoman
    (male)

bluepianoman HB User

I am feeling a bit better today. I literally have not been awake for more than 3 hours or so for the last two days. I am trying out some oatmeal right now. Maple and brown sugar. Also, I've not been drinking any fluids yet but I got some powerade, which hopefully will help.

Yeah I think we do have a blender, I will look into the smoothies. I also looked into omega-3's and thought they may help me, but I never went through with it. They are expensive.

Nope, my college doesn't even offer any types of health insurance and doesn't require students to have it. It is pretty ridiculous in my opinion. It is a very small private college of only around 500 students or so. I'm not sure what they do when students get sick. I've been pretty tired non-stop for the last few months and I've told a couple of my teachers. They just tell me to work on getting more rest and eating a little bit better. Quite frankly after being so sick the last couple of days I never want to touch a bit of unhealthy food again!

Anyways, Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I will start working on them to see if things can get better. I'll try to stay updated if you'd like.

Be well.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #8
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Have you let your Momknow how sick you've been? I'm serious about this. If you don't get better by the weekend, you need to go to an ER or a walk in clinic and get seen. Any emergency room will take you and they will worry about pay ment later. I do think that you need to get tested for mono. I have two sons who have both had it and you sound like you are a good candidate for it...and that troubles me.

Drink lots of fluids. You can't get dehydrated.

keep me posted....where is your college-I'm from Minn.

Last edited by ibake&pray; 01-01-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
    bluepianoman
    (male)

bluepianoman HB User

I'm feeling quite better today now. I still slept quite a bit from last night, but that's pretty typical when I don't have anything to get up for. Still pretty lethargic though and I have some strange feelings inside my body. Stomach growling quite a bit, and very very light pressure feelings in my back right underneath my left and right ribs and a centimeter or so out from my spine.

My school is in downtown Saint Paul. It's called McNally Smith College of Music. I did tell my mom that I was sick, she just told me to get some rest. She is about a 4 hour drive away from me in Iowa.

I would still really like to get to a doctor sometime though. I'm going to maybe try finding one and asking them what they can do in my situation. Haven't had caffeine for about 4 days now. This is a good thing. I will keep you posted.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

I had mono in college and suffered for a month before finally paying $100.00 to see a Doc in a Box, or walk-in clinic. By that time, I had been sick so long, my parents agreed to pay the bill. The doc did a very simple test and it came out positive for Mono. There is not alot you can do, but once you are diagnosed, it will help alot with understanding from your professors. I didn't get in trouble for missing class, they let me turn in papers and take tests late all semester. I waited until I was almost flunking out. Don't wait that long. It takes too much out of you to get caught up. Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #11
    butrfligirl28
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Do you have a sore throat or swollen glands? A sore throat was my main symptom except for the terrible weakness and fatigue.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

How goes it today? ARe you still feeling under the weather? The growling tummy is probably complaints that you haven't fed it anything that's decent in awhile. LOL. some soup, toast, crackers, juice. keep it bland so you don't upset the balance. Are you still so terribly fatigued?
    when do classes start up again? Do you have swollen glands or a sore throat?

Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #13
    bluepianoman
    (male)

bluepianoman HB User

Feeling much better today. The nausea has pretty much completely gone away. I still have a lot of little things. Such as when I eat food, for some reason when I sort of burp, food comes up. Really annoying. I didn't eat too much either. Also still very tired. I haven't had a soar throat at all, for quite a long time actually. If I do have mono, this sucks haha. As far as my professors go I'm sure they will be cool with it. The only problem is that I'm a music performance major on piano, and I have a ton of practice I need to do. It's very hard to practice, lethargic. I have been having some strange trouble waking up at night breathing heavily. Almost not being able to catch my breath. I've never had a problem with aphnea and I hope that isn't the case. Also, I have a strange feeling in my chest when I breath in. A sort of 'cold' sensation. Not sure what's going on there. Anywho, that's an update on me. Thanks for the support.

Closed Thread