It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• help please - unhealthy neck/back habbits

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2008, 12:26 AM   #1
    natbeans
    (female)

natbeans HB User
    help please - unhealthy neck/back habbits

I am not really sure where to put this, so hopefully this section of the forum is fine. Well I am 17 yrs. old and have alot of pain everyday in my neck and back, pretty much every second of the day. Let me explain that I know the root or causing problems of my pain... i just need help to solve it.

I have mild scoliosis(sp?) and was born with the bone/spine(??) part of the neck being straight. So therefore, I have what is called a "foreward head" but no one other than my family would know this because I do a great job of "hiding" it because, well I'm aware of it. Any ways, I have had the horrible habit of "cracking/popping" my neck eversince I was little. I developed this habit when I saw my Dad always doing it, which he still continues to do.

Cracking/Popping your neck obviously only provides temporary pain relief; then the pain is back and you need to crack your neck again to relieve the pain. It's a viscious cycle that has an extreme grip on me and isn't doing much to help me, especially since I already have pain from having a straight neck bone. I occasionally go to the Chiropractor, not often as I should with my conditions because unfortunately, my parents cannot afford appointments. And even with going to the Chiropractor, the adjustments I get are then quickly reversed because of my horrible habit.

I also self crack my entire back all the time and I am starting to notice that after years of doing this too, I am making my conditions worse. I am asking if anyone out there can give me advice or tips on how to help me break these habits. I have tried many times before and have failed quickly. I also have cracked my fingers since I was eight years old and have successfully quit (amazing!) and I haven't cracked them for almost two months. I honestly really have tried MANY times to break the habit of cracking my neck and back, but I can't stop.... I will say that I am addicted in a way.

I go through alot of pain each day, and getting through the school day is very tough for me. I'm also allergic to flouresent lighting and my school is flooded with this type of lighting. It makes my very sick during the whole school day and I carry this "sickness" home with me. So I pretty much am extremely uncomfortable and in alot of pain with my scoliosis, neck, flouresent lighting allergic reactions, etc. I just really wish there was someone out there who knew what I go through. I'm not trying to make a pity thread for myself because I realize and know there are many people out there who go through much, much more pain than I do or ever will. There are also alot of others who have horrible conditions in which mine do not even compare to. So I hope no one takes this the wrong way thinking I'm being a baby lol, because I seriously am not.... I just need to enjoy my life without constantly having extreme neck and back pain interfering. I am the one that is giving myself even more pain and if I didn't do this everyday, maybe my conditions wouldn't be as bad as they are these days. I cannot control what I was born with, but I wish I could control what I do to my body.

Please if anyone can help me? Maybe some good habits I can slowly use to replace my bad ones. Or advice, whatever comments/replys I get will be much appreciated!! Thank you =]

natasha

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: help please - unhealthy neck/back habbits

I personally don't believe that neck and back cracking is all that harmful. I know some people say it is, but I haven't seen the evidence. The reason you are addicted to it is that it provides you some temporary relief, so if you want to stop, you need to replace it with something else that eases your pain.

You might try stretching instead. Which stretches? Ones that release your soreness. You can get a book of neck/back exercises, you can ask the chiropractor the next time you go, (If he won't teach you stretches, find a different chiro) you could even try your gym teacher. Find a stretch for every pain, do them all in the morning and at night, do the one you need when the pain hits.

And try to stop blaming yourself. Our bodies do not come with owner's manuals, and unless you are deliberately falling down stairs or something, your back pain is not your fault.

One more thought: If the pain is troubling you that badly, it might be time to consider medication or other conventional medical treatments.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
    Re: help please - unhealthy neck/back habbits

I have had back surgery to fix back issues. Let me say that if you are suffering from back pain, you need to be seen by a good back doctor who will develop a plan that will incorporate not only therapy but meds if needed. I would stay away from a chiroprator until the back doctor has given you the all clear to see him. Go and get a good check up and have the doctor set up a plan to work with you to get you through this now while you are still growing and young. There is no reason that you should be living with this at your age. It can be cleared up.

Closed Thread