It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Any reason not to open a liquigel to avoid having to swallow a pill?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
    Joanne_C
    (female)

Joanne_C HB User
    Any reason not to open a liquigel to avoid having to swallow a pill?

I have trouble swallowing pills. I use a chewable vitamin, and always select liquid forms of over the counter remedies. I've noticed some of the otc remedies that I use also come in liquigel form (e.g., Aleve and Advil).

Is there any reason NOT to open a liquigel and mix the medication in a drink or yogurt to consume it that way? I realize it will taste bad; but is there any medical reason not to? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Any reason not to open a liquigel to avoid having to swallow a pill?

It probably depends on the drug. A pharmacist should be knowledgeable and happy to answer your question.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

Well I am not exactly sure but my grandmother (who has now passed) had alzhiemers and would forget how to swallow and when she chewed the liquid gels she would throw up. I would call the pharmacist, like the above poster said, and see if there are any alternatives.

Bella

Old 02-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #4
    Joanne_C
    (female)

Joanne_C HB User

Good advice, thanks. I will ask the pharmacist.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I just asked my boss, who is a pharmacist, and he said no way. He said that it's not a good idea to open those liquid capsules because they are designed to dissolve once in side the stomach and not to be drank the way a liquid formulation is made. It's a completely different thing.

He did reccommend however that you look for the rapid dissolve tablets instead, because those might be a better option for you, if they are available. Some pills now have become available in the rapid dissolve formulation, you just have to look for it.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
    ChrissyCP
    (female)

ChrissyCP HB User

I have the same problem about swallowing pills - i think its due to my nerves being very tense. I chew a multi-vitamin as well, and my iron pills are tiny so they are not a problem.

However, just curious is it possible to choke to death on these things? How is it that we cannot swallow big pills and others can?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Chrissy... Here are some tips you can try:

Practice swallowing small candies and work your way up to pills. I taught my daughter to swallow pills using M&Ms. The thought of medicine pills made her nervous; after she became adept at swallowing the candy, it no longer did.

Numb your throat with OTC sore throat spray - like Chloraseptic - before taking a pill. That'll calm the gag reflex. Also, some find that taking a full, deep, abdominal breath first will calm the nerves and the gag reflex.

Try sipping a cold, carbonated beverage (sparkling water, lemon-lime soda) straight from the bottle when swallowing a pill. On the other hand, I find that icy cold liquid constricts my throat and causes it to spasm. I find room-temperature water works better for me.

This one works for me, especially with large pills ... Place the pill on the back of your tongue - but not so far as to gag yourself with your fingers - drink some water, tilt your chin down toward your chest, and swallow. Instinct tells us to throw our heads back when swallowing, but that too constricts the throat. On the contrary to that, some people find that they have success by putting the pill on the tip of their tongues and tipping back their heads. Whatever works. It's a technique that is largely "mind over matter".

You can't choke to death on a pill. It's virtually impossible to inhale one, and they are never larger than an airway anyhow.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #8
    ChrissyCP
    (female)

ChrissyCP HB User

Thanks for the info....though i must admit, i've had a couple choking scares on food and i think i'm too afraid about practicing swallowing things..it brings on those choking incidents and it makes me nervous, even just thinking about it as well. But i have managed the iron pill quite well. I dont cough anymore when i take it, and i dont have the feeling that there's something "stuck" in there..

Closed Thread