It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Dizziness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
    kcg1122
    (female)

kcg1122 HB User
    Dizziness

I hope someone can help me. I have been so many doctors and no one can tell me what is wrong with me. Here is the whole story. I am a teacher and I was having very bad headaches they started the day I got off for Christmas break. I was still having these headaches 3 weeks later, so I went to my GP. She did a great evaluation but did not know what was wrong. She ordered me to have an MRI just to rule out any brain problems. Honestly I thought the woman was crazy. I thought I didnt need an MRI. The next day I started to get dizzy. It wasn’t room spinning dizzy it was what the doctors call "floating". I feel very unstable. I describe it as I am on a boat and cant get off. Well today is day 38 and I am still dizzy. The dizziness is consistent it does not come and go it is 24/7. I have only been room spinning dizzy once. I have tried all of the motion sickness meds and they all make is 900 times worse. I have been to a roomatologist and he did tons of blood work and everything is normal. I did have the MRI and it was normal. I finally decided maybe it was my jaw and I went to the dentist and he fit me for a mouth guard. I have been wearing that for a few days and it seems to make things worse. Can anyone think of what is making me dizzy? It is VERY hard to function this way. I have also lost 11 pounds due to the fact I do not want to eat because I am so dizzy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
    painaway
    Veteran
    (female)

painaway HB User
    Re: Dizziness

Welcome to the boards! Have you had your ears checked out? Inner ear problems can come with various symptoms...not just the room spinning kind of dizziness. I'd see an ENT doc...and it that is all good, then maybe you should have more bloodwork to rule out vitamin deficiencies (having low B vitamins can do weird things to you) and auto-immune problems. I know you've probably had the normal bloodwork, but they need to dig deeper. Hormone levels being off can cause dizziness as well. One more thing...could you be pregnant? Couldn't tell if you are male or female by your post, lol. I'll be praying for you!! Keep us posted...

Last edited by painaway; 02-16-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
    HaveaHeart
    (female)

HaveaHeart HB User

Painaway has real good points, I'm surprised those werent mentioned to you, by your doctor.

Another thing I thought of, while reading your post was "Vertigo". It's a disorder that causes dizziness.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
    nikki888
    (female)

nikki888 HB User

vertigo isn't actually a disorder that causes dizziness, it is a symptom of a balance disorder. it is the sensation of spinning or swaying while the body is stationary with respect to the earth or surroundings. it is often caused by an inner ear problem.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
    ddanny52
    (female)

ddanny52 HB User

kcg1122 - have you ever considered lyme disese? these were my exact symptoms - dizzy with headaches which progressed into head pressure and migraines. Just for thought? Are you on the northeast coast were lyme in prevalent or have you been any where that you can remember where you may have been exposed to tics. Just a thought.

danielle

Old 02-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
    Jaxzilla
    Veteran
    (female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Migraine is often overlooked when it comes ot dizziness. If you go on the inner ear boards many folks on their have MAV-Migraine Associated Vertigo. They will help you along!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
    kcg1122
    (female)

kcg1122 HB User

Just wanted to update.. Today is day 49 of being dizzy.. I was admitted into the hospital last Saturday (day 45) for chest pain and shortness of breathe... I thought I was having a heart attack... After doing a lot of tests they determined that I have blood clot in my lung. I have been put on blood thinners and they are watching me.. The sad news is, I am still dizzy!! I have now seen 10 doctors and they dont know whats wrong with me. They think I am be dizzy from the blood clot but they are not sure, I have been on blood thinner for 4 days now and Im sitll dizzy. Hopefully it will just take some time for the dizzyness to go away but no one knows for sure!! The crazy neurologist that I saw is giving me 2mg of valium 3 times a day to see if that will work. I just took the first dose and I just feel drugged... SO I think the man is just CRAZY!!! Thank goodness I went to the ER and they found the blood clot, but the dizziness is VERY old now!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
    jen52983
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jen52983 HB User

I agree with some of the other posters that an inner ear disorder of some sort is probably the cause of your dizziness. Have you had the doctors look into that??

Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
    missy7777
    Veteran
    (female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcg1122 View Post
    I hope someone can help me. I have been so many doctors and no one can tell me what is wrong with me. I have also lost 11 pounds due to the fact I do not want to eat because I am so dizzy!
    Your story sounds IDENTICAL to mine, and bottom line diagnosis (for me) was that I started getting migraines due to perimenopause/hormone fluctuations. If you are in your 30's/40's/50's - your hormones are probably fluctuating and getting you closer to menopause. That hormone fluctuation causes the migraine, which in turn causes the dizziness, nausea, seasick feeling, unbalanace, anxiety, fatigue, etc.

You can look into hormone therapy or the birth control pill to regulate your hormones, or attack it from the migraine standpoint and take migraine medication.

I too went through a TON of doctors who couldn't give me a straight answer and I finally figured out the hormone connection after about a year. I am taking a low dose estradiol gel (Divigel .25mg) and it has cleared up most of my horrid constant "seasickness".

Old 02-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #10
    missy7777
    Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcg1122 View Post
    I thought I was having a heart attack...
    I made several trips to the ER too with the heart attack sensation. Most of it is due to anxiety, but also the migraines can cause very real horrible symtoms that can literally make you feel like you are dying. The blood clot in your lung sound quite disturbing (yikes!), but I don't know if it is related to your dizziness.

Last edited by missy7777; 02-27-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:25 AM   #11
    elda
    (female)

elda HB User

Dizziness is a symptom of balance disorder. When the brain is not receiving any signal due to contradiction in nerve system then you feel unsteadiness and light headache. It is also precipitated by wearing new eye glasses, vomiting, fever, diarrhea, low BP etc. Basil leaves with milk is effective in resolving the symptoms of dizziness.You can browse mamaherb.com to know that how many people
    have benefited from this remedy.

Last edited by elda; 02-28-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
    kcg1122
    (female)

kcg1122 HB User
    Re: Dizziness/PE

Ok.. Back again.. My dizziness went away with time but now its back again!!!Just this week I started to become dizzy again..Everyday it has gotten worse...Today is sunday.. I can barely stand up without feeling so exhausted!!! I am scared to death that I have another PE!!!!!! My chest still hurts and I never really fully recovered. Its been 2 months. I am so tired of being sick... Anyone know what it could be this time??

Old 05-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Are you taking any meds for another condition? Sometimes side effects result in dizziness and headaches, but nothing shows up on the tests.

Bethsheba

Old 05-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
    kcg1122
    (female)

kcg1122 HB User

The only medicaction I am on is Coumadin my blood thinner. I just really hope
    I do not have another blood clot. I am headed back to the doctor tomorrow.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #15
    missy7777
    Veteran
    (female)

kcg - you are probably experiencing a migraine, which doesn't always manifest itself in headache pain. Something set off (or triggered) the migraine (monthly hormonal issues, menstrual cycle, ovulation), or it could be something you ate (not as likely), or the weather, etc. You can try to combat the issue with getting rid of the migraine. This will probably in turn, get rid of your dizziness.

Closed Thread