It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Scars

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
    somalley
    (male)

somalley HB User
    Scars

Hi, I recently received a wound and I had some questions. It seems to be nearly completely healed, there was no scab cause I took good care of it, and made sure it was moist. The skin is regrown and really pink. I really don't think there is any scarring yet because my facial hair is growing where the wound was, but is there still a chance for scarring?

Also what should I do to protect it and make the pinkness fade? The wound was pretty deep and my doctor said there is a good chance of scarring....... I was told massaging it with mederma would help.

Thanks! Any response is very helpful, because it's really stressing me out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User
    Re: Scars

Mederma worked wonders for a facial scar I had when I broke my orbital lobe. It also helped with road rash after a motorcycle accident. Hair does not grow through scarring so it would seem you are fine. Are you using Mederma? If not, definitely get it. It also helped a bit with an old scar too.

Bella

PS: I also was on a prescription called Silverdene (sp?) cream right after my motorcycle accident. You could ask your doctor about. Plus it might be cheaper if you have insurance. Mederma is quite expensive.

Last edited by tattoogirl; 03-05-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: added PS

Old 03-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

It all depends on what type of skin in your genes.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
    Dzesn
    (female)

Dzesn HB User

You really shouldn't put anything on a scar until at least 6 weeks healed (that's what I have always been told and even longer for bigger scars, up to a year), but after that time period has past, Vitamin E has worked wonderfully for me.

You can get just straight Vitamin e but it's very expensive, I recommend Equate Vasaline w/vitamin e.

-Daze

Old 03-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #5
    somalley
    (male)

somalley HB User

guys.......some of the hairs are turning black, and a slight pull makes them come out. This is on my face I think it's going to destroy my beard. I don't know what to do. Its making me really depressed.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
    somalley
    (male)

somalley HB User

Are these hairs gone forever?

Old 03-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

Go to a dermatologist if you are concerned. Silverdene cream is used early on if the healing process of scars/burns. I was given this in the hospital early on, waiting six weeks is not necessary because by then the healing properties of this medicine will not be helpful. Perhaps the other poster was referring just to vitamin e because using it in open wounds can delay the healing process. But Silverdene and Mederma are meant to be used during the healing process. Although Mederma shouldn't be used a deep open gash. I am not sure if the hairs will grow back. The roots might be dying and that is why the hairs are coming out. If this is the case then hair will not grow back. I hope for you that isn't the case if it bothers you. Go ASAP to dermatologist to see if anything can be done to help. Good luck!

Bella

PS: NEVER use Vaseline on any burns or open wounds ever.

Last edited by tattoogirl; 03-06-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: PS added

Old 03-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
    Dzesn
    (female)

Dzesn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tattoos View Post
    Go to a dermatologist if you are concerned. Silverdene cream is used early on if the healing process of scars/burns. I was given this in the hospital early on, waiting six weeks is not necessary because by then the healing properties of this medicine will not be helpful. Perhaps the other poster was referring just to vitamin e because using it in open wounds can delay the healing process. But Silverdene and Mederma are meant to be used during the healing process. Although Mederma shouldn't be used a deep open gash. I am not sure if the hairs will grow back. The roots might be dying and that is why the hairs are coming out. If this is the case then hair will not grow back. I hope for you that isn't the case if it bothers you. Go ASAP to dermatologist to see if anything can be done to help. Good luck!

Bella

PS: NEVER use Vaseline on any burns or open wounds ever.
    I never said to use Vaseline on a burn or open wound, in fact, I said the complete opposite.

As a recovered cutter and someone who has had a c-section, I have been told by every doctor who has treated me for these things to only use healing products on the wound until completely healed and no longer pinkish.

Also I would say that if the hair has fallen out it probably will not grow back.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
    somalley
    (male)

somalley HB User

Thanks so much for the input. I have a appointment with my dermatologist tomorrow. I just hope it's not to late to be of help.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daze0san View Post
    I never said to use Vaseline on a burn or open wound, in fact, I said the complete opposite.

As a recovered cutter and someone who has had a c-section, I have been told by every doctor who has treated me for these things to only use healing products on the wound until completely healed and no longer pinkish.

Also I would say that if the hair has fallen out it probably will not grow back.

Hey Daze- I wasn't saying that you said to use Vaseline on an open wound. Sorry if my statement came across that way. I was just telling him not to. I understood you said this was contra-indicated. When it came to the silverdene cream it was given to me and used perhaps in a different way than other scar remedies/treatments given it's prescription use. I also had a C-section and never put anything on that wound until it was healed too. I just know how I was treated for facial and body scars and passing along my experience.

Bella

Last edited by tattoogirl; 03-06-2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 03-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
    Dzesn
    (female)

Dzesn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tattoos View Post
    Hey Daze- I wasn't saying that you said to use Vaseline on an open wound. Sorry if my statement came across that way. I was just telling him not to. I understood you said this was contra-indicated. When it came to the silverdene cream it was given to me and used perhaps in a different way than other scar remedies/treatments given it's prescription use. I also had a C-section and never put anything on that wound until it was healed too. I just know how I was treated for facial and body scars and passing along my experience.

Bella

Ah I see. Are those medicated? I've been looking for something that I can put on my c-section scar. I usually heal up well and can always get rid of the bulk of my scars but I haven't been able to use anything on my c-section scar yet because the doc. wanted me to wait a full year.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #12
    tattoogirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tattoogirl HB User

Hey daze the Silverdene cream is a prescription. I never used it on my C-section scar. The only thing I used on it was coco butter. I had it almost 7 years ago and it just took time to go down and I am not really sure if the coco butter helped or it was just the passing of time. The bulkiness goes down over time but you will always, most likely, have a raised scar (the color definitely fades). You could inquire about the Silverdene and see it it would help with it. Mederma would do nothing for that. I know for at least a year I totally felt the scar. It would feel like tugging...kinda like my skin underneath was attached weird. That sensation eventually went away with the numbness too. When did you have the C-section?

Bella

PS: the Silverdene cream was actually used during the healing process because it actually helped prevent any bacterial infection.

Last edited by tattoogirl; 03-07-2008 at 05:43 AM. Reason: added PS

Old 03-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
    Dzesn
    (female)

Dzesn HB User

Ah I see. I had my c-section 10 months ago. The scar is not bad, instead of being raised it's actually more indented. But, there is one side that is thicker than the other side. It's kind of weird because even though I don't have any feeling on the surface, when I touch it I feel a jolting inside, does that go away?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
    somalley
    (male)

somalley HB User

Ok, so I went to the dermatologist and he told me that I should get minimal scarring and the redness should go away over the next 7 months......argh thats a really long time......also he told me that the hair fell out due to trauma and it all show grow back. But heres the only thing, this guy is a physicians assistant, but a certified dermatologist and some of the things he told me didn't seem correct. He told me that hair can grow through scar tissue, which I know is not the case. Anyways, I'm gonna see my school dermatologist on Wednesday for another opinion.

Also he told me to get the wound wet and put Vaseline on it. The wound is sealed so don't worry about that. I plan on posting another reply when I see the other dermatologist, because it's on my face I want to make sure that it will be ok. Any input is always appreciated.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:36 PM   #15
    Dzesn
    (female)

Dzesn HB User

I'm glad to hear that you are getting some answers. I do believe him that your scar will shrink up quite a bit but I do not believe that you will get ALL the hair growth back, you may get some, even maybe most but not all. As the scar shrink the scar tissue SHOULD only remain where the scar is visible (I believe), there for you will most likely have hair growth in spots that do not have it now, there will more than likely be a piece with no hair but, depending on where the scar is and how long your beard is, you may never notice.

Closed Thread