It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Persistant Cough

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
    florence84
    (female)

florence84 HB User
    Persistant Cough

Hello Everybody, I am new here and I do have an appointment with the hospital but just wondered if anyone else has ever suffered with the same as me, because 19th may seems very far away to see the doctor.

I have two Persistant coughs.

Cough one has been going on for about 5 years. I had a camera into my nose, and into my stomach to look for possible diagnosis including gallstones and allergies. Nothing was found and i just accepted thats the way i am. This cough is triggered by eating foods, it used to be certain foods (mostly fatty foods) however now it can be triggered by anything, even healthy foods. and its gone from being an occassional happening that did subside for a few years, to being an everyday occurance. once i start coughing it can last about 30 mins and i get very worn out from it and a bit breathless. i was given an inhaler, which helped with the breathlessness slightly but the doctor has decided it is a solution.

on top of this, i also have cough two. which goes on all the time, a persistant dry cough. it doesn't feel chesty, just very throaty and i don't feel like i've achieved anything by coughing. nothing is cleared and it doesn't stop me coughing.

on top of both of these i also have discomfort in the area between my ribs, upper abdomen i guess it is. this is caused mostly by fatty foods, and it goes very hard and definitely coincides with the cough.

I really hope this is the right board for this, apologies if not.

many thanks for your time in reading this.

florence84

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User
    Re: Persistant Cough

Problems with fatty foods could be due to gallbladder disease whether there are gallstones or not. Fatty foods need bile in order to be digested properly. Otherwise the bacteria in intestines will need to do the digesting, taking much longer.

Do you take an Ace Inhibitor for bloodpressure? If so, this could cause the dry cough. A change in med may be needed.

Sinus drainage can cause irritation of the airways and cause coughing. Have you tried taking a anahistamine or used a deconjestant. Mucinex (over the counter) is a stronger plain Robitussin that helps thin mucous. Irrigating sinuses with salt water helps too.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
    florence84
    (female)

florence84 HB User

My mum seems to think it is sinus related, as you mentioned yourself.

I don't take any medications for blood pressure or any other illness. but i do take antihistamine for hayever and i have tried decongestants to no avail.

I feel i am going to be a bit random in my diagnosis, which wouldn't be the first time

thank you for your reply

florence

Old 04-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
    golfhat
    Veteran
    (female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I have a persistant cough that goes on all the time, but gets worse during flu and allergy season. sometimes I hardly cough at all, but I keep water and cough drops near the bed at night, always.

There are many oak trees in my yard and cedar trees in this area of Texas and I suffer all year, basically.... My daughter finally went to an allergist and gets a shot once a week and has been problem free all year.
    I plan to go to an allergist and get this straightened out once and for all. I am sooooo sick of it.

We had only one good freeze last winter, and it was wet this spring and stuff is growing like crazy. My subdivision is so lush and beautiful but everyone's allergies are terrible.
    I found out there is an allergy to lagustrum and photinia both of which are in my yard!

YOU and I have a persistant allergy-related post nasal drip. Sometimes it gets worse like a cold and other times you hardly know it is there except for the cough, right?
    But the presence of that drip causes a tickle. am I right?
    sometimes I sound like a barking seal.

also, as a side note, acid reflux can cause a persistant non productive cough.
    Good luck on this one.

Last edited by golfhat; 04-22-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
    snowdrift
    (female)

snowdrift HB User

I have had a persistent dry cough for a long time as well. Currently, I'm being treated for GERD and asthma, which is helping somewhat. I developed other asthma symptoms, but I did a lot of research into cough variant asthma.

It seems the best diagnostic test for this variation is a methacholine tolerance test, which tests for hyperreactive airways. I haven't had this test yet since I developed other symptoms, but if you do have CVA, then you may need more than "an inhaler" to get it under control.

Is your inhaler a daily control med or a rescue inhaler? I would try to get this methacholine test, as it could give you a more definitive diagnosis. CVA, it seems, can be a little difficult to control, since the coughing serves to prevent wheezing and other asthma symptoms and can create a cycle of worsening inflammation. The persistent cough, in my case, contributed to me developing GERD as well. I do tend to feel what I now identify as asthma symptoms more in my throat than in my chest, until they get really bad. Just now, for example, I have a cold and it brought back my regular cough--I can feel the tightness and mucousyness in my throat quite a bit, but my chest feels pretty ok. Yet, the bronchodilators help.

It is entirely possible to have CVA and not show up any obstructed airflow. Spriometry and peak flow readings may be useless for people with CVA. The best test is to provoke a reaction and see if bronchodilators help.

I agree that it could be many things, just sharing my experiences and the knowledge I've gained in the past many weeks as I've started to get my own asthma sorted out.

Closed Thread