It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Intolerance to alcohol?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
    Jrenter
    (female)

Jrenter HB User
    Intolerance to alcohol?

Hello,

About a year and a half ago for my 3-month anniversary celebration with my boyfriend, we went out for some drinks at a local pub. After spending almost $300 on booze + food for the two of us, I had to leave and by the time I got home, I was friends with the toilet! I was then brought to the hospital and given a Gravol for my stomach as it was quite uneasy and nothing would stay down for a few days after that. Ever since then though, I haven't been able to drink as much as I used to. I used to be able to have a few coolers and then start to feel the effects of it but now, I can barely handle one and I get that feeling in my chest (the feeling of 'I need to puke!').

What's going on? Can I not drink anymore? I've tried many sort of varieties for drinking such as wine, coolers, frozen alcohol (slurpees + rum), etc but anything I drink that contains alcohol seems to go the wrong way with me. The other thing is I wake up the next morning if I've been drinking and I feel as though I have the flu... no upset stomach or anything but I feel really sore/achy all over the place. I really 'did' enjoy to drink before... not get hammered or anything but enjoy having a few drinks and now I'm not really able to! Help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User
    Re: Intolerance to alcohol?

My drink of choice was wine coolers. I used to have a couple every night after work and a few on the weekends. I also did not get hammered but felt buzzed.

Ten years ago, I started getting the flu-like feeling the next morning when I woke up every morning. I knew that was what was doing it and decided to quit drinking. I think you build up an over load in your system over time and this is the way your body is telling you to stop adding to it.

Try doing without any alcohol for a while and then try going back to one drink. If it happens again, stop again for a while. As for me, the experience was enough that I do not drink at all any more.

Lindaru

Old 05-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
    Jrenter
    (female)

Jrenter HB User

Yeah, the first time around where I had way too much to drink and had to go to the hospital... I couldn't drink after that for at least 6-8 months. Just the smell of rum/vodka even now makes me queasy which is why I've tried just sticking with the coolers or iced alcoholic drinks but that doesn't seem to help.

A friend of mine bought me a 4-pack of this orange cooler because I looked after her dog for a weekend and I didn't want to say "I don't drink anymore" so I just took the coolers and I could barely get through 1.5 of them as I just found they were way too sweet and I wanted to head to the bathroom asap! Before my friend gave me the coolers, I had maybe one drink in 2 months time and with that amount of time with no booze, it still didn't seem to help any. I still felt the same effects. I find even if I drink more than one drink, I just start to feel sick, I don't even get a buzz anymore. :<

Old 05-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User

I have to honestly say that after ten years of not drinking, I really do not miss it. Never be afraid to tell people that you do not drink. You would be amazed at how many of us there are out there.

When we moved here ten years ago, someone gave us two vintage bottles of wine as a house warming. They are still in the fridge and when we some day give them away, they will be a very true vintage!

Lindaru

Old 05-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
    Jrenter
    (female)

Jrenter HB User

Actually the funny thing is the person who gave/bought me the coolers for looking after her dog apparently stopped drinking quite a while ago because I guess she used to get out of control (ie: she couldn't stop drinking) so she said no to all booze after that. I'd rather receive a gift card for something instead of getting alcohol. I've never been a heavy drinker but it was just that one night where I had way too much and should have stopped way before I did. After doing some research, it looks like a lot of people experience the 'joint pain' / flu like symptoms after drinking but by the looks of it, it looked like it was just from red wine which I don't touch. If I do have wine (which is very very VERY rare), it's only white that I have but anything, coolers, wine, etc... all alcoholic beverages give me the joint pain the next morning/day.

I don't know. I just don't really find a big use in drinking at all anymore. Like I said before, I can't even get a 'buzz' after having a drink. All I feel like is getting sick which is never fun.

Last edited by M08; 05-29-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
    luckygem13
    Veteran
    (female)

luckygem13 HB User

Is it possible that somebody could be slipping you antabuse?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
    jrenter12
    (female)

jrenter12 HB User

No. If I get a drink at a bar or something like that, I'm right there while they're making the drink and unless every single drink that I've tried in the past while (from different companies/production lines) has something in them which I find highly doubtful.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Have you recently started taking any medications? Some meds make you intolerant, or more sensitive to the affects of alcohol. I don't drink anyway (besides a glass of champagne on major holidays), but when I started taking Tegretol, my doctor told me that the med will increase the effects of alcohol, which I noticed one time when I had a glass of champagne before eating anything, and I got so dizzy and woozy, I wanted to go to bed before dinner.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #9
    jrenter12
    (female)

jrenter12 HB User

The only meds I take on a regular basis is Tri-Cyclen but I've been taking that for the past two years every single day. There haven't really been any other meds that have affected me as far as alcohol. My boyfriend is having a hard time understanding why I won't drink anymore... trying to tell him that the fact that I feel sick after one or two drinks and can't even get a 'buzz' anymore and the fact that I get joint pain the next morning!

Closed Thread