It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• what is it exactly when you have minor involuntary muscles movement?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #1
    Blackey
    (male)

Blackey HB User
    what is it exactly when you have minor involuntary muscles movement?

I've noticed that every once in a while, I get some wierd involuntary muscles movement , I had it with one of my eyes and then it move to one of my shoulders for a while and then it went away from the shoulder and started somewhere around my butt.
    These "sudden jumping" of the muscles is not hurting or something, and i can bearly feel it, but it's kind of annoying.
    It might be triggered by something i eat or so, but it doesnt happen that often , and im sure that there is no reason to worry, but i would appreciate to learn more about this thing, so if anyone got a clue what is it called, he\she will be more than welcome to share it with me.

thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User
    Re: what is it exactly when you have minor involuntary muscles movement?

My husband and I have had these occasionally for as long as we can remember. Never gave it any thought, so decided to look it up in my American Medical Association Home Encyclopedia. It says and I quote:

"Fasciculation is spontaneous, irregular and usually continual contractions of a muscle apparently at rest. A minor degree of it is no cause for concern. However, persistent fasciculation with weakness in an affected muscle indicates damage to or disease of nerve cells in the spine that control the muscle or nerve fibers that connect the spinal nerves to the muscle."

If you just get the occasional jerk (I have even had the darn things wake me out of a sound sleep) and that is it, it is normal. In cross-referencing material on this subject, it is merely a temporary interruption of brain signal to muscle and nerve fibers. I like to think of it as a human version of the electricity browning out for a split second.

Hope this helps!

Lindaru

Closed Thread