It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Heat exhaustion and Intolerance

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
    John_33
    Inactive
    (male)

John_33 HB User
    Heat exhaustion and Intolerance

For the past 5 days I have been having heat related symptoms. I feel warm ALL the time unless I'm in an Air conditioned room and I cannot wear regular attire (Jeans/shirts). I've been wearing shorts and tanktops since Sunday. I can't leave the house because I feel tired and hot after a few minutes.

What is going on!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User
    Re: Heat exhaustion and Intolerance

Are you drinking enough clear non-caffeinated non-alcoholic fluids? Something that helps replace electrolytes such as sports drinks are good, too.

You are apparently very heat sensitive. If you are on any medications, heat sensitivity can be increased.

Try wrapping a cold wet cloth around your neck (keep rewetting with cool or cold water as needed). Another thing you can do when you are not able to be in air conditioning is to use a spray bottle, and spray down your head and face, arms and hands. Let the air evaporate the moisture on its own.

Reduce physical activity and try to stay in the shade. If you should suffer any severe symptoms of heat stroke (nausea, headaches, blurred vision, dizziness and disorientation), seek medical help.

You have my sympathies on the hot weather you are having there. Seems like the whole country has gone bonkers. The Pacific Northwest with snow, and the midwest with flooding and tornadoes. I would send you some of the over two inches of snow we got yesterday but it melted off this morning when it rained.

Lindaru

Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
    John_33
    Inactive
    (male)

John_33 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lindaru View Post
    Are you drinking enough clear non-caffeinated non-alcoholic fluids? Something that helps replace electrolytes such as sports drinks are good, too.

You are apparently very heat sensitive. If you are on any medications, heat sensitivity can be increased.

Try wrapping a cold wet cloth around your neck (keep rewetting with cool or cold water as needed). Another thing you can do when you are not able to be in air conditioning is to use a spray bottle, and spray down your head and face, arms and hands. Let the air evaporate the moisture on its own.

Reduce physical activity and try to stay in the shade. If you should suffer any severe symptoms of heat stroke (nausea, headaches, blurred vision, dizziness and disorientation), seek medical help.

You have my sympathies on the hot weather you are having there. Seems like the whole country has gone bonkers. The Pacific Northwest with snow, and the midwest with flooding and tornadoes. I would send you some of the over two inches of snow we got yesterday but it melted off this morning when it rained.

Lindaru
    That is the worrisome part, this has never happened to me before. Last summer I played basketball in the summer and went hiking. This summer I dont know what happened. A week ago I was fine and walking about.

This all started Saturday night when I was walking in Manhattan. I was fine getting on the train but once I set foot in Manhattan I felt like I was having a heat stroke. I rushed home and sat in the AC. Ever since that day I've had these symptoms.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User

It is normal that your body is going to have a heat sensitivity after your first experience for a while. I would wait it out for another week or so (daughter had heat exhaustion once and it took her over a month to feel totally normal again).

If you do not get a cool spell where you live by the end of the week and are still feeling the way you do, you might want to go in and get checked out. It is highly unlikely but you may have developed a problem with your sweat glands. My mother once had a condition (never figured out if it was from medication she was taking or not) where she could no longer sweat like she used to. This led to actual heat stroke for her one day.

So hopefully you are sweating as would be expected and replacing your fluids to go with it.

Try not to be anxious about it because that will intensify your symptoms. I know. Easier said than done, right? Put your feet up, put a movie in (maybe something about Alaska) and relax.

Lindaru

Closed Thread