It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Scared of taking new meds

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
    Scared of taking new meds

Recently, my doctor prescribed me three medications to fight against what she says could be an allergy problem and/or potential sinus infection. She prescribed me Allegra for my allergies, Flonase to clear my sinuses, and something called Bactrim or Bactrum to get rid of any infection I may still have in my head.

I always read the little pamphlets that come with medications every time I am given something new, and to be honest, I'm a little scared to take the Allegra and the Bactrim. I know Allegra is pretty commonly prescribed for allergy issues, but it is unsettling to me to know it can possibly cause an irregular heartbeat. And the Bactrim has the small potential to cause a fatal allergic reaction, seizures, and dizziness, among other glorious symptoms. You can probably understand why I am anxious about taking these.

I realize my chances of being that one unlucky person who has the allergic reaction to either of these is very small, but no matter how many times I say that to myself, in the very back of my mind I still know there's a tiny chance I might be that one person who has that bad reaction.

I hate to ask, but has anyone ever had a really really bad experience with Allegra or Bactrim? The Flonase I am not worried about because I already tried it and I feel fine, but I am concerned about the other two. I trust my doctor, but I can't calm down over these and I know I have to take this stuff.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
    Re: Scared of taking new meds

I have been on Allegra and Flonase daily for over 10 years and have had no negative side effects. Most people I know do just fine on Bactrum, but antibiotics work differently for everyone.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
    KDD 26
    (female)

KDD 26 HB User

I know exactly how you feel. Two weeks ago I was prescribed an antibiotic that had a side effect of dizziness. That really bothered me because I was going to be taking a long drive to an amusement park. I ended up taking the antibiotic anyway and had no dizziness at all.

I work in a pharmacy and now a lot of people who have taken the medications that you are on. I have never heard of anyone saying they have experienced the side effects that you are concerned about.

I completely understand why you are concerned, though. I would be too.

Just remember that those side effects are listed because a small amount of people reported having them. Your doctor thinks they are the best medications for you and as you said you trust your doctor.

Feel better
    KDD

Old 07-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. I decided to see what the Allegra would do and so far, and all I feel is a bad headache. Kinda stinks since a headache is one of the reasons why I was prescribed Allegra, but whatever. If I have to experience a side effect, I'd rather have it be a headache than an irregular heartbeat or a seizure.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

All anahistamines do not cause a headache. When a med causes "you" symptoms be sure and let your doctor know so they can change to a different med.

I took Clariten and had a tight mesh like headache. I did not continue taking it. Later was given Zyrtec and it did not cause a headache.

Zyrtec is nor over the counter, give it a try.

What works for one does not always work for another.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
    Dark Stranger
    Inactive
    (female)

I don't know if I'm going to keep taking the Allegra. It makes me feel worse than when I don't take it. Not only does it worsen my headache, but it makes it a little harder for me to breathe (I already had problems breathing before taking the meds). What kind of allergy medication gives a person allergy symptoms??

And I don't know if my doctor would be all too concerned with switching me to anything else because she said in passing and with a smile, "Oh and by the way, Allegra might give you an irregular heartbeat", like it's nothing. I read that an irregular heartbeat is one of the more serious side effects of Allegra and that you should tell your doctor about it ASAP if it happens.

I, thankfully, did not feel the really bad effects. But I might just skip the Allegra for now and try the antibiotics and hope I do okay with them. I only need to take those for about a week

Closed Thread