It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Surgery after a Antrectomy and concerns about the "Dumping Syndrome."

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
    mrbluejay
    (male)

mrbluejay HB User
    Surgery after a Antrectomy and concerns about the "Dumping Syndrome."

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board. I am a 28 year old male and I had surgery last Tuesday, I had a antrectomy and I don't know if any of you have had one or know of someone who may have. I am getting along well with it, I had to have one cause I had an ulcer and a portion of my stomach was removed and I am on a strict diet right now, I have to small meals at a time.

I am not sure about this "dumping syndrome" I haven't experienced it but it would be helpful to talk to someone who is familar with it, my dr explained it to me but I thought that it might just be a temperary thing but I've looked online and from what I read, it's being a diabetic. I read that eating a lot of sweets like candy, cake, ect, can cause the "dumping syndrome" so my question concerns is this the way I will have to live my life from now on?

I know that people that intake a lot of sweets and all can have spells like feeling sick, sweating, feeling dizzy, fast heart rate but I thought that it was only temperary, like my body getting used to the change then I could go back to normal. I do not eat a lot of sweet stuff all the time, maybe a bowl of icecream after dinner or a piece of cake now and then, I work out a lot and I am an average size guy. I am somewhat atheletic and I am aware of losing a few pounds cause of this whole change but not to the point where I am skin and bones.

It would be really great if I could find someone on the board who knows more about this than I do, I hope I have some luck!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
    mrbluejay
    (male)

mrbluejay HB User
    Re: Surgery after a Antrectomy and concerns about the "Dumping Syndrome."

Just to clear things up, I am not a diabetic, I am healthy and the ulcer was removed cause of medication not treating it the way they should so therefore I had to have surgery and now that a portion of my stomach has been removed, I have to eat small meals and I read that "the dumping syndrome" happens to 30% of people who have had this kind of surgery and I was just wanting to know if anyone knew if the "dumping syndrome" was a life-long thing or just something temperary until my body gets used to a smaller stomach. I didn't want to confuse anyone.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User
    Re: Surgery after a Antrectomy and concerns about the "Dumping Syndrome."

Hi and welcome, Mrbluejay. I have a home medical encyclopedia and I will tell you that it does not say whether or not dumping syndrome is permanent but it sounds like it might be. There are a couple of things you can do to relieve the symptoms if you get them.

1. Lay down after eating (especially if you eat more than a small amount).

2. Add guar gum to foods which slows down the emptying of the stomach and regulates the absorption of sugars.

Early dumping usually takes place about 30 minutes after eating and late dumping about 90 to 120 minutes.

Early dumping can cause upper intestinal discomfort and swelling as well as low blood sugar symptoms. Late dumping can also cause low blood sugar symptoms but takes longer to do so.

Refined white sugar should be avoided. Use honey or artificial sweeteners (if you can tolerate them) to help avoid dumping. Frequent small dry meals are the best.

I hope that you are able to avoid having dumping syndrome but this should give you an idea of what to watch out for and what to do if it happens.

Keep us posted and best of luck!

Lindaru

Closed Thread