It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• weird reaction to small ammount of alcohol??!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
    mochi*
    Veteran
    (female)

mochi* HB Usermochi* HB User
    Question weird reaction to small ammount of alcohol??!

Hi,
    I wasn't sure where to post this, and it isn;t necessarily a health concern, although it's annoying and I'm wondering why it's happening:
    Lately, over the past 6 months or so, I get drunk VERY easily, off of one or two drinks only. And I often feel the effects of alcohol that are totally disproportionate to the amount that I have actually had, i.e., drunk quickly and sort of strongly, and always feel crappy the next day even after only ONE OR TWO glasses of wine!!!??
    What is going on??!!
    I don't drink a lot, but I would like to be able to enjoy a glass of wine or two every now and then without feeling really bad the next day!! It's not like I'm pounding drinks! And what does this mean about my body?? I wasn't like this before.

Last edited by mochi*; 07-30-2008 at 12:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 02:09 AM   #2
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
    Re: weird reaction to small ammount of alcohol??!

Lots of things can change how alcohol is metabolized by the body. Medications, viruses, diabetes, chronic illness of any kind, even strenuous exercise and emotional stress.

Any disease that effects the liver can cause alcohol intolerance - sometimes liver disease may have little or no symptoms till late in the illness. Simple liver tests from your GP can rule out anything serious.

Rarely sudden alcohol intolerance is genetic. Your liver just won't tolerate it. If you've had family members who were "teetotalers" or never drank, or stopped drinking in their 20s or 30s, this is more likely.

Hydration plays a big role in weather or not you wake up the next day with a headache. Hydrating after you have the hangover is a bit like bailing water out of a ship that's already sunk.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 AM   #3
    mochi*
    Veteran
    (female)

Nope. I drink a lot of water while I'm drinking and before bed. I also eat enough. Something funny is going on.. It's a little worrisome, because I shouldn't feel hungover from only 2 drinks!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 AM   #4
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Definitely get your liver checked out. Two drinks shouldn't suddenly be knockin' you out. Double check your meds, if you take any, with your pharmacist.

The genetic mutation that causes the inherited form of AI is called "aldehyde dehydrogenase or ALDH" if you want to look it up. It's much more prevalent in Asia than Europe or the Americas.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
    mochi*
    Veteran
    (female)

I wouldn't say "knocked out," but definitly too drunk. And hungover!!
    I used to be able to drink MUCH more before feeling hungover, or that drunk!
    What is AI? Just alcohol intolerence?
    I tend to feel overly-tiered in the mornings too, every day (even when I do not drink, which is really only once aweek or so)
    I have a really hard time waking up, and feel lethargic most of the morning, and sometimes much of the day...
    I thought maybe it was just from allergies, and maybe I am allergic to sulfites, so wine makes me feel hungover??
    It's frustrating. I would like to wake up feeling refereshed for once, but that is oh-so-rare, even with plenty of sleep.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:37 AM   #6
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh, the sulfites! Yeah, those reactions can be severe in some people. Lay off the red wine maybe.

Closed Thread