It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Severe shoulder tension

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
    Toast King
    (male)

Toast King HB User
    Severe shoulder tension

Hi All,

My first post so please be gentle! Can anyone suggest a way of shifting the recurring shoulder/neck tension that has decided to come back yesterday. I have had this on and off for a few years - probably once every 2 or 3 months. It starts with general muscle tension in the neck/shoulders - at which point I try self massage/loosening exercises. Then, like yesterday, it turns into what is probably similar to the symptoms of frozen shoulder - sharp nagging pain in one spot - just to the left and below my neck. Rotating my neck gives a sharp pain and it is very easy to find the exact spot by prodding. This time, I'm getting a bit of a twinge from the same spot on the right but it is normally happening just on the left.

I will probably be like this for a few days before it slowly wears off - and then it will come back again in a few months. Last time it happened, I decided to go to a Chiropractor. He did X Rays and showed me a problem in the neck which he said he could cure. However, after 6 or 7 visits, I decided I'm not keen on the whole neck cracking thing and all the scare stories of strokes and the like. I'm capable of being a bit of a hypochondriac and I think the treatment was doing me more mental harm than physical good.

Around the time of my trips to the chiropractor, I stated getting a few mild dizzy spells. My doctor diagnosed Labyrinthitis and it seemed to settle down a couple of weeks later. I got a cold a few weeks ago and it seemed to flare up again but this time with nausea rather than dizziness. My GP gave me antibiotics and anti nausea tablets and, again, it seems to have settled down apart from once the other morning. My perception is that the nausea/dizziness is caused by tension in my neck/shoulders as I always feel a bit unwell whenever my shoulders get tight or my neck gets tense. My neck will start cracking and creaking without provocation and that will be a sign that pain is on the way.

Has anyone got any suggestions/similar symptoms? I'm not worried by it as I know it is muscular related but I'm at a loss at how to stop it recurring. I'm tempted to book in for a neck/shoulder massage as I feel as if this might help but having had a couple in the past when I haven't had the problems (Spa visit type thing), they seem too lightweight and I feel like I need a very large man mauling me around. Is massage likely to help or hinder? I'm loathed to go to my doctor as I seem to have been living down there this past year having been put on medication for high blood pressure. I was hoping that, now my BP is under control, the tension would go away but it appears not. If I went back to see her, would she be able to help? Pain killers don't seem to touch the pain and I just have to let it work it's way out. I would just like to stop the few days of waking up every hour because I have moved my head.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
    Re: Severe shoulder tension

Moist heat helps, hot showers or those microwavable bags - the kind filled with rice (feels like rice anyway). Tylenol works for me but only if I take it immediately after feeling that first twinge. An exercise routine that stretches the shoulder and back muscles - and relieves stress - yoga, hiking, golfing, swimming, whatever suits you.

"Around the time of my trips to the chiropractor, I stated getting a few mild dizzy spells."

Bad chiropractics can cause dizziness and nausea. There are over twenty different kinds of stroke and transient ischemic events, from mild visual disturbances to complete paralysis, that can happen after high velocity neck rotation.

Closed Thread