It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• what is a healthy pulse supposed to be

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
    star84
    (female)

star84 HB User
    what is a healthy pulse supposed to be

what is a healthy pulse supposed to be i went to the doctors today was having a coil fitted and i panniced and my pulse went to 38 what does that mean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
    greengrass
    (male)

greengrass HB User
    Re: what is a healthy pulse supposed to be

I could be that you just had a bout of low blood pressure, sometimes happens when you lie down for a while then get up too fast. 38 bmp is a bit low but if the doctor has not been worried by it you should not be either.

If you have no other symptoms don't worry. Just so you know every one has a different pulse rate. If you are fit and train regular then a low bmp is fine, mine fluctuates between 40 and 60 bpm at rest.

Old 04-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)

pinkpixies HB User

dangg....my pulse is almost always over 100... >.< Lowest I ever saw mine was 78 when I was doped up on Klonopin in the hospital. lol

Old 04-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User

me too, pinkpixies. it's always 100 on the nose, but sometimes will go to 90 or 80 when I take some klonopin.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
    greengrass
    (male)

greengrass HB User

Don't worry ladies I think thats about right for most people, i'm just an odd one! I had two teeth out under general the other day, when they hooked me up my heart beat was 36. The nurses flew into a panic I had to tell them it was normal they thought I was dropping dead!!!

On a serious note star84 if you're worried monitor it for a few days, if it's usually around 100 but dips low at some point go back to your doctor and ask for a health check.

Last edited by greengrass; 04-02-2009 at 04:15 PM.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
    tjlhb
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Typical resting pulse rate is 60 to 80 beats per minute for adults. Athletes may have lower resting pulse rates.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
    graces23
    (female)

graces23 HB User

Well, I'm not sure, but if the doc didn't say anything, I'm guessing it wasn't a huge deal...

Though the normal pulse rate is between 60-90 I think. Not 38!

Old 04-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
    fufu
    Inactive
    (female)

fufu HB Userfufu HB User

that's right, normal is 60 to 90.
    though try to remember these are standard averages, it doesn't mean everyone's pulse rate is between these numbers. the more physically active one is the lower the rate will be, the norm for most athletes will be in the 60's, someone who's not so active can have a pulse of 89. there are several people who have either lower or higher than the norm but they know this is the norm for them. 38 is conseidered a weak pulse, and if your being checked by a nurse she can think there is something wrong. for some people 38 is normal for them, because they know that they've always had a low pulse.
    the pulse is the amount of times your heart beats within a 60 second period.

Closed Thread