It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Synovial Chondromatosis

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
    melred
    (female)

melred HB User
    Question Synovial Chondromatosis

Hi,
    I am a 44 yo female with synovial chondromatosis of my R hip. 13 years ago, I had athroscopy which removed over 500 loose bodies from the joint space. Less than a year later, I needed a synevectomy. I have shyed away from ortho docs for years now and just dealt with the pain on my own. Most recently, I went in for an xray and was shocked to actually see the loose bodies on film and the bone damage to my hip. I'm amazed that I can walk without a limp after seeing the damage.

Here's my dilemma, the doctor recommends a total hip replacement and there is no gaurantee that the SC (synovial chondromatosis) won't grow back. Should I go through this major surgery without knowing more about the disease process? Has anyone had a THR with positive results?

My surgery is scheduled for May 19th. Please help with any info.
    Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
    bethsheba
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User
    Re: Synovial Chondromatosis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melred View Post
    ...Here's my dilemma, the doctor recommends a total hip replacement and there is no gaurantee that the SC (synovial chondromatosis) won't grow back. Should I go through this major surgery without knowing more about the disease process? ...
    Well, I don't think I would in your case. Have you done any research on synovial chondromatosis and Lyme? I ask because many, many times on these boards, people think they have been diagnosed with a rare disorder (which some think SC to be) when the symptoms are similar or identical to the symptoms of a disease that is running epidemic in our country, and along the coastal states, which Lyme is.

I don't know if there is a connection to your condition or not...but I would want to learn more if I were you because if your condition was indeed caused by a bacterial infection, surgery would not be the answer.

Bethsheba

Based on the cursory reading I did, I may have had SC when I was in my early 20's...but the condition disappeared.

Last edited by bethsheba; 04-20-2009 at 06:03 AM.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
    Jane24
    (female)

Jane24 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melred View Post
    Hi,
    I am a 44 yo female with synovial chondromatosis of my R hip. 13 years ago, I had athroscopy which removed over 500 loose bodies from the joint space. Less than a year later, I needed a synevectomy. I have shyed away from ortho docs for years now and just dealt with the pain on my own. Most recently, I went in for an xray and was shocked to actually see the loose bodies on film and the bone damage to my hip. I'm amazed that I can walk without a limp after seeing the damage.

Here's my dilemma, the doctor recommends a total hip replacement and there is no gaurantee that the SC (synovial chondromatosis) won't grow back. Should I go through this major surgery without knowing more about the disease process? Has anyone had a THR with positive results?

My surgery is scheduled for May 19th. Please help with any info.
    Melissa

Old 04-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
    Jane24
    (female)

Jane24 HB User

Hi,

I am a 46 year old who just had a thr and seemed to follow the exeact steps that you have with the surgeries and with the same results. I decided that I wanted to enjoy the activities I used to and was sick of being limited as well as enduring great discomfort when i tried to sleep. I could walk, although I was beginning to limp quite a bit. In answer to your ?, I am only 3 weeks to date post surgery. It is too early for me to say if I feel 100% cured. I sleep fine w/an advil only-big improvement. I am exercising muscles that i haven't in awhile due to the pain it caused. Now, I can do glute squeezes; thigh squeezes, this is all part of the rehab after surgery. My thigh muscles used to cramp and now, they still do. Not sure why that is.
    Overall, so far so good, but only time will tell. Incidently, I had a very low dose radiation to prevent any more production of this disease.
    Good Luck to you.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
    melred
    (female)

melred HB User

I had THR on May 19th. Currently doing much better. I too had the radition as a preventative. I'm still recovering from surgery and doing the rehab exercises. Overall, I feel more flexible in the hip than I have in a long time.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
    rerod778
    (female)

rerod778 HB User

How are you doing since your surgery?

Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
    melred
    (female)

melred HB User
    Wink Re: Synovial Chondromatosis

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rerodriguez View Post
    How are you doing since your surgery?
    I had my surgery May 19, 2009 and I am doing great! Recovery was unbelievable. I was ready to do much more than my physical therapist would allow. Currently I am pain free, I have no limp, and most recently took off running after my 3yo and found that I could run pretty well. Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome. Good luck if you are considering surgery.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
    rerod778
    (female)

rerod778 HB User

I am so happy to hear you are doing well. Did they do the low dose radiation before your surgery? I have had synovial chondromatosis for 20 years. I had an arthroscopic procedure almost 8 years ago. Two years ago, they told me that the bone has degenerated so much that hip replacement is the only option. I had been putting it off because of family obligations, fear of going through the surgery only to have the synovial chondromatosis return, and just plain fear of complications and the pain and hassle of the recovery (of course, I'm in plenty of pain now).

I had not heard of the low dose radiation until I read our post. No doctor has ever mentioned this to me, and it does make a lot of sense. Do you mind sharing your doctors names (if that's allowed), so I can pass this information on to my surgeon. I'm meeting with him tomorrow.

Thank you for your help -- your experience gives me hope!

Old 10-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
    melred
    (female)

melred HB User

John McCrosson in Charleston SC........good luck!

Closed Thread