It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• Acid Reflux and hoarsness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-14-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
    Katielyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Katielyn HB User
    Acid Reflux and hoarsness

Hi all. Can acid Reflux cause the throat to feel scratchy and the voice to go hoarse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
    crack97
    (male)

crack97 HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux and hoarsness

Absolutely. Go see a doctor.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
    Katielyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crack97 View Post
    Absolutely. Go see a doctor.
    We don't have insurance for 90 days. How long will this last? Anything I can do at home?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
    MountainReader
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Yes it can. Go over to the Acid Reflux board. Try doing a search for LPR. That is one of the symptoms for that type of reflux.

Until you go see a doctor, you could consider trying an OTC medicine. There are some for reflux such as Prilosec or Zantac.

Is there a reason you think it is reflux related? It is scary to think of treating yourself for something that isn't really what you have.

Other things to try: lose some weight if you are overweight (easier said than done though), don't eat 3-4 hours before going to bed, prop up the head of your bed about 6 inches (2 bricks in height) so that gravity can help, make sure your waistbands aren't too tight, avoid foods that are fatty, greasy, spicy, contain tomato or tomato products, have citrus, have caffeine, chocolate, coffee, tea, no smoking. Try not to bend over too much.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #5
    jenj770
    Inactive
    (female)

jenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB Userjenj770 HB User

There is another view that acid reflux is caused by too little acid, not too much. In this case, betaine hcl is advised to normalize the system. It has helped me but you can do your own research.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
    Soibhan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Soibhan HB User

MountainReader gave you excellent advice! Acid reflux can cause asthma-like symptoms, coughing, burning, sore throat and all the symptoms you describe. Until you can see a doctor, take MountainReader's advice and raise the head of your bed, avoid trigger foods, and take something to ease the acid. I know you're miserable, but this condition is treatable--the sooner the better.
    Soibhan

Old 05-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
    Katielyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
    Yes it can. Go over to the Acid Reflux board. Try doing a search for LPR. That is one of the symptoms for that type of reflux.

Until you go see a doctor, you could consider trying an OTC medicine. There are some for reflux such as Prilosec or Zantac.

Is there a reason you think it is reflux related? It is scary to think of treating yourself for something that isn't really what you have.

Other things to try: lose some weight if you are overweight (easier said than done though), don't eat 3-4 hours before going to bed, prop up the head of your bed about 6 inches (2 bricks in height) so that gravity can help, make sure your waistbands aren't too tight, avoid foods that are fatty, greasy, spicy, contain tomato or tomato products, have citrus, have caffeine, chocolate, coffee, tea, no smoking. Try not to bend over too much.
    The reason I feel it is reflux related is because I went to bed with bad reflux and when I woke up the next morning, my voice was very hoarse. Now since then, I have had chest congestion and my sinuses are giving me a fit so, really, alls I know is that I did have bad reflux from eating spicy chili and eating too much of it. I am not over weight, bit I do tend to eat big portions on things I really like though. I know I don't eat right and I am trying to change that, I just don't know what to eat on a daily basis thats good for me. I wish I had a list of breakfast,lunch,dinner, and snack foods that are healthy, but I don't.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
    Katielyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Katielyn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soibhan View Post
    MountainReader gave you excellent advice! Acid reflux can cause asthma-like symptoms, coughing, burning, sore throat and all the symptoms you describe. Until you can see a doctor, take MountainReader's advice and raise the head of your bed, avoid trigger foods, and take something to ease the acid. I know you're miserable, but this condition is treatable--the sooner the better.
    Soibhan
    Great! I already have asthma!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
    Katielyn
    Veteran
    (female)

Katielyn HB User

Does anyone know if reflux lowers your immunity in any way or maybe having allergies brings on acid reflux any easier? Just a thought though.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I think the acid reflux and allergies play off of each other. I have both and definately feel both of them going on right now. I am frustrated. It is a delicate think to balance...keeping them both at bay.

Closed Thread