It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• resistant to anesthesia injections

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
    Susan24
    (female)

Susan24 HB User
    resistant to anesthesia injections

I am soon to have a procedure that will include a topical analgesic and then an injection to assure a pain-free situation. The problem is.... I have a history of resistance to this type of pain management, for example, I've had procedures done to my eye lid, nasal passages, urethra, foot, hand, etc. all of which turned disastrous. Typically I will explain my "history" to the doctor who then invariably says I've been doing this for _ years and it's painless. The topical goes on and then they start to work which may or may not include additional injection for pain. The topical won't work so I cry out with the injection. Then the injection won't work and I have been known to faint from the pain of the subsequent procedure. Here's my question: anyone with similar situation who has figured out how to get the point across to docs, for them to see you as an individual? Thanks so much. I rarely look to forums for help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: resistant to anesthesia injections

Are you opposed to general anesthesia or twilight sleep? Or does this apply to them as well?

Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
    plus1more
    (female)

plus1more HB User

Hi, Isn't that the weirdest thing. I went through labor with the anesthesia failing on and off throughout the 17 hours. It was mostly the left side of my body, so I was feeling most of the labor. I also had eye surgery, and the same thing happened. I was feeling the procedure. I returned to get eye stitches out and again same thing. I could feel every pull of thread. I told them to proceed because I have a high tolerance for pain, but they stated that the stitches would dissolve within time. They asked me if I had done illicit drugs, but I hadn't. I have recently been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis which is an autoimmune disease. My own immune system is destroying my nerves (Central Nervous System). I'm going to ask my neurologist if the two are related because once nerves are damaged they begin sending mixed/missed signals and that causes pain. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Hope you find an answer.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
    Susan24
    (female)

Susan24 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    Are you opposed to general anesthesia or twilight sleep? Or does this apply to them as well?
    I did "wake up" but remained paralyzed during dental surgery... very traumatic. But I have had many operations/procedures requiring a general and everything went fine. No, it's just with those things that are outpatient and relatively quick but the docs know will be painful without a bit of help. It's just that what they consider quite sufficient doesn't even come close for me. I'm just trying to find out if there is some way to word the problem.... that will make them take notice, take me seriously.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Susan24

Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
    Choice
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Choice HB User

Perhaps copies of the records from the previous instances?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 AM   #6
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

some people just do have this issue. it can occur for many different reasons. i have this issue with any 'numbing' agent that is used on just one side of my face. this is just from a sympathetic nervous system injury to is casued by having a spinal cord surgery that just happened to damage it. it just disrupts the 'normal' blood vessel control/reaction. so things CAN get a bit ugly on the right side whenever i have to have ANY teeth pulled of even pretty small stuff too. its just a bit insane to say the least.

about the only thing here that i can really think of that would help in this situation, besides what the above poster mentioned about having that basic documentation handy for him? would be to find another type of real anesthesia alternative whenever you simply need a particular in and out type of procedure such as an actual total nerve block of the whole area/extremity using the types of nerve blocks they just use more in a pain management type of setting(have had many of these)? this is NOT just topical but would numb at the area where that nerve has its base to the entire branch area involved. this would be for just an example, if you had some level of procedure in an arm, a full scalene block could be done(in the side of the base of your neck). or a knee procedure,they can do a block of that femoral right in the groin area? its a bit more in depth doing things this way, but honestly, ever since my spinal cord was injured and like entire body system functions have either been "deranged" or just not there or just made into something undescribable, any actual surgery that gets done on me or even basic minor procedures has had to use methods that are just bit more out of the 'normal' box of the standards. you simply have a problem/condition that just needs this same level of extra when you need things done. and thats not your fault, but it IS most defintiely the responsibilty of any actual doc/surgeon who is going to be doing painful procedures on his patients, no matter what they have going on. for you, this is just the way YOU are and they will have to become a bit more creative to accommodate this for you. its that simple. in some cases, even going that general anesthesia route may be in order too. if you simply do not benefit from any level of topical numbing agents, they just OWE you something in its palce. i would NOT allow any doc to actually even DO anything on you til you just KNOW that he "gets" the whole situation and your inability reaction and comes up with a good plan B for you. YOU should NOT have to suffer becasue of this when there are simply ways to achieve anesthesia for you.

considering the specific areas where they tried to numb in your past, which quite honestly,i f they are not actually right ON target, just will not numb the right places, i am wondering if these docs even HIT the right spots at all in the first place, ya know what i mean? but at any rate,you DO deserve to not have to go thru some level of nightmare procedure only because you are suffering from some strange condition. its just up to any doc to accomodate that for their patients, period(mine simply have to). just what are you actually having done and where on your body? this would just help with suggestions for different methods. **

Closed Thread