It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

General Health Message Board

• weird smell

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
    Jessielessie
    (female)

Jessielessie HB User
    weird smell

ive noticed this bad smell from my work shoes. (I am on my feel all day I am a super at a fast food restaurant). my shoes reeked! I tried baking soda. still reeked. (almost Ralfed my cookies.) baby powder... still reeked .. oh god i can still smell it... so I just tossed them.
    I shower everday. I use soap/body wash/ I wash my hair 5 days a week or more. I use anti pursprint/deodorant, and body spray/perfume.
    my mom says I smell like sugar . I am thinking it is my diet. since it just happened recently. and lately I have been eating horribly.
    I need opinions?! what do you think is going on? how to save the next pair of shoes from smelling bad? help?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #2
    chocolate29
    Veteran
    (female)

chocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB Userchocolate29 HB User
    Re: weird smell

Your diet does play role for sure. We definitely are what we eat. Food is what makes us. That aside, you need to make SURE you get a pair of really good shoes. Nikes and Reebok are both good. Cheap shoes and no name brands are bad that way. I work in very high heat almost all day and my feet never stink. They are always a neutral smell. I wear Nikes and sometimes my Adidas. They weren't cheap shoes. Hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
    sunshine12
    Inactive
    (female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I think I read a while back if you soak your feet in vinegar it helps the odor. You will smell like a salad but once it drys it will vanish. Just do that after you come home and take a shower at night. Let them dry with the vinegar on them. the stuff is cheap so it shouldn't kill you. Keep doing it every day for a week or so. And it is the white vinegar but honestly I don't see why the red wouldn't work. Good luck

Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

If your mom says you smell sweet yourself, get checked for diabetes. It also makes your skin more likely to develop fungal infections(like thrush or a vaginal yeast infection)and you can develop them in the shoes themselves. Consider getting new shoes without a man made liner in them(no vinyl). Look for a brand of insole that is all material like felt or one that can be removed and washed. I get those gel insoles and they can be disinfected if necessary. Another possibility.

Jenny

Old 10-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #5
    Misty800
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Misty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB UserMisty800 HB User

Try spraying inside of your shoes with Lysol disinfectant. It works like a charm. My brother lived with us for a while and wore cowboy boots. Yuck! his room smelled horrible. I sprayed inside of his boots and then we could live with the boots in the house.

Lysol will kill fungus and other bacteria. My husband and I spray our sport shoes every night and do not have any problems as a result.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #6
    tUrRrRa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Diet can definitely play a part, as well as your work environment (I am sure the food scents can get into your shoes), and the material of your shoes. What kind of material were the shoes made of? I remember my brother having some kind of leather sandals as a kid and they smelled BAD! It was only that one pair of shoes. For some reason it just did not work well for him. Try to get a pair of shoes that lets your feet stay cool and well ventilated. Some materials can get sweat trapped in there, plus odors, and then the scent really sticks around. Try getting a pair different than the previous ones for sure! I notice that some of my dress shoes get a smell easily, yet my running shoes and open shoes never get any kind of smell. It ends up happening most with the fake leather material shoes I have! Some of my cheaper shoes are fine, some are not. I wear Asics running shoes because they are the ones that fit my foot shape best and help with my alignment since I overpronate, and they never smell like nothing. I notice that some of my open toe shoes will get dirty because I walk a few blocks to work in them sometimes, and getting dirt in them can cause a smell for sure, so I try to regularly wipe them out to keep them fresh. It helps a lot!

I eat a pretty healthy diet, but I know some people can even get weird body odors from certain vegetables, even if they are healthy. You might have to try tweaking your diet to see if you notice a difference. If it's a sweet scent, you may be eating too much sugar and carbohydrates. Also, be sure to stay well hydrated with plenty of water!

Do you notice your feet sweating a lot or no? Also, do you wear socks with these particular shoes?

Closed Thread