It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



General Health Message Board

  • sed rate of 44?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: New York State
    Posts: 372
    pinkpixies HB User
    Question sed rate of 44?

    I have been having a lot of health problems over the past two years or so. One of the main ones is just chronic pain...my body hurts...all over. My bones. My joints. My muscles. My skin. It hurts. I finally got a referral to a rheumatologist back in Sept and he told me it's "just" fibromyalga and that I have to "learn to live with it" his exact words. No treatment or follow up needed. He did take some blood work but then I never heard from him again...until two weeks ago or so when they called and said that some of my tests were off (took them from Sept to Nov to figure that out?!) and they had me come in to re-do some tests...including my sed rate and CRP which were both elevated (and have been for a year now...continuing to go up.) My sed rate last week was 44. In Nov of last year it was 31 and June of this year it was 36. I feel like something is wrong...more than just fibro.

    Recently I have developed weakness on my right side...that isn't a classic symptom of fibro, is it? Saturday, I was sitting in a recliner and went to lift my right leg up to put it over my left...and I couldn't lift it at all. Not even an inch. It felt like a 50 pound weight was on my ankle. It's scaring me. I'm 24 years old and I feel like I'm 80. This can't be nothing! What can I do? Am I just being a hypochondriac? I can't sleep b/c no matter how I lay, I hurt. My hips, my ribs, my collar bones...My joints crack and pop whenever I move. I have a limp but haven't had an injury.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #2
    blues1986
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: New York
    Posts: 124
    blues1986 HB User
    Re: sed rate of 44?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinkpixies View Post
    I have been having a lot of health problems over the past two years or so. One of the main ones is just chronic pain...my body hurts...all over. My bones. My joints. My muscles. My skin. It hurts. I finally got a referral to a rheumatologist back in Sept and he told me it's "just" fibromyalga and that I have to "learn to live with it" his exact words. No treatment or follow up needed. He did take some blood work but then I never heard from him again...until two weeks ago or so when they called and said that some of my tests were off (took them from Sept to Nov to figure that out?!) and they had me come in to re-do some tests...including my sed rate and CRP which were both elevated (and have been for a year now...continuing to go up.) My sed rate last week was 44. In Nov of last year it was 31 and June of this year it was 36. I feel like something is wrong...more than just fibro.

    Recently I have developed weakness on my right side...that isn't a classic symptom of fibro, is it? Saturday, I was sitting in a recliner and went to lift my right leg up to put it over my left...and I couldn't lift it at all. Not even an inch. It felt like a 50 pound weight was on my ankle. It's scaring me. I'm 24 years old and I feel like I'm 80. This can't be nothing! What can I do? Am I just being a hypochondriac? I can't sleep b/c no matter how I lay, I hurt. My hips, my ribs, my collar bones...My joints crack and pop whenever I move. I have a limp but haven't had an injury.
    I would go see a neurologist. It could be a host of problems, but it could just turn out to be fibro.

     
    Old 11-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 1,452
    AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User
    Re: sed rate of 44?

    Fibro wouldn't cause SED and CRP to go up unless it's co-occurring with rheumatoid or lupus.

    Whatever you do, find a new rheumatologist, the one you went to sounds like a quack. "Learn to live with it", Geez, thanks doc!


    Fibro needs to be followed carefully, and there are many, multifaceted treatment options.
    Fibro info: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/fibromyalgia.html

    Last edited by AuntieLeela; 11-20-2009 at 09:16 PM.

     
    Old 11-21-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: New York State
    Posts: 372
    pinkpixies HB User
    Re: sed rate of 44?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blues1986 View Post
    I would go see a neurologist. It could be a host of problems, but it could just turn out to be fibro.
    A neurologist? I wonder if the blurred vision thing I've been experiencing could be related...I've been having periods of blurred vision that last 3-4 hours...where I have to keep blinking to try and get my eyes to focus but it only helps for maybe two seconds...I've never had any vision problems and I can see perfectly fine normally...I told my doctor about it and she wants me to see an eye doctor...so I made an appointment with one.

     
    Old 11-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
    blues1986
    Senior Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2009
    Location: New York
    Posts: 124
    blues1986 HB User
    Re: sed rate of 44?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pinkpixies View Post
    A neurologist? I wonder if the blurred vision thing I've been experiencing could be related...I've been having periods of blurred vision that last 3-4 hours...where I have to keep blinking to try and get my eyes to focus but it only helps for maybe two seconds...I've never had any vision problems and I can see perfectly fine normally...I told my doctor about it and she wants me to see an eye doctor...so I made an appointment with one.
    I am 23 and had some of the same problems. I went to my doctor complaining of muscle pain, tremors, fatigue, muscle weakness, etc. After doing a few basic tests, my doctor said I needed to see a neurologist. At the neuro, I learned that there are a lot of diseases that cause the symptoms you are describing. Because some of them are pretty bad, I won't even name them. Muscle weakness, if consistent, should never be overlooked.... and if it continues, don't be surprised if you get a referral to a neurologist.

    As for me, I see my neuro every 3 months to keep an eye on my symptoms.

     
    Old 11-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
    mentalmum08
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: LANCASHIRE, UK
    Posts: 104
    mentalmum08 HB User
    Re: sed rate of 44?

    Hi, Please don't think I'm out to put the frighteners on you. But I am being investigated for the exact same symptoms, and my Doctor is edging towards a diagnosis of a condition called Temporal Arterosis - Sp? The symptoms are rare in under 55yr olds. I am 52 and female. It presents the same symptoms of something I cant quite remember the name of. But if you put the above listed condition into a search facility it will bring it up as a comparison. I have an emergency appt. with a Neurologist. Take care. Regards alex

     
    Old 11-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
    Citymouse411
    Newbie
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Nov 2009
    Location: Eureka, CA
    Posts: 4
    Citymouse411 HB User
    Re: sed rate of 44?

    I agree with the poster that said the CRP and Sed rate are many times related to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus. Your wide spread pain and other symptoms could be Lupus ... Did your doctor screen you for auto immune disorders. I think that is where I would start. If your Dr did a blood test you need to get a copy of it and see exactly what he tested you for and the results. If he didn't do an auto immunce screening push him for it. That will tell you alot more. I had to ask my primary doctor to screen me. I was having what I thought was a problem with a cyst on my right ovary. I was feeling really crappy... my thighs ached and I had a lot of low back pain. After we found the cyst I had to wait for a few months and take Ibuprofen and come back to see if it resolved on its own. In the meantime I developed joint pain.. first in my hands and then my back went nuts and I also get sore feet. I had my Dr. do a screening for Rheumatoid Arthritis and found out my ANA was positive, RF was elevated and I was positive for Sjogrens Syndrome...... so push , push , push. Be your own advocate!
    __________________
    Citymouse

     
    Old 11-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: New York State
    Posts: 372
    pinkpixies HB User
    Re: sed rate of 44?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by four20care View Post
    What are you taking for sleeping and for the pain?
    I have a prescription for Ultracet but it doesn't do much to help.

     
    Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #9
    pinkpixies
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2008
    Location: New York State
    Posts: 372
    pinkpixies HB User
    Re: sed rate of 44?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Citymouse411 View Post
    I agree with the poster that said the CRP and Sed rate are many times related to Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus. Your wide spread pain and other symptoms could be Lupus ... Did your doctor screen you for auto immune disorders. I think that is where I would start. If your Dr did a blood test you need to get a copy of it and see exactly what he tested you for and the results. If he didn't do an auto immunce screening push him for it. That will tell you alot more. I had to ask my primary doctor to screen me. I was having what I thought was a problem with a cyst on my right ovary. I was feeling really crappy... my thighs ached and I had a lot of low back pain. After we found the cyst I had to wait for a few months and take Ibuprofen and come back to see if it resolved on its own. In the meantime I developed joint pain.. first in my hands and then my back went nuts and I also get sore feet. I had my Dr. do a screening for Rheumatoid Arthritis and found out my ANA was positive, RF was elevated and I was positive for Sjogrens Syndrome...... so push , push , push. Be your own advocate!
    All my auto immune tests have been negative. They keep re-running the tests...but nothing yet. I've had them done three times so far, twice by my nephrologist and once by the rheumatologist.

     
    Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
    velen
    Junior Member
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Posts: 25
    velen HB User
    Re: sed rate of 44?

    I am so sorry you are suffering; and you are so young How about trying your PCP and see what he advises for you. Try to keep a journal of you daily symptoms, etc. Include everything in that journal from your pain, appetite, weakness, etc. The information you provide him will assist him in referring you to specialists. Please jump on your symptoms right away and get to the doc. Be strong. I am guessing that since you are so young, that some docs will possibly undertreat you. I hope that is not the case. Let us know how you are doing in future posts.
    Good luck

    Last edited by velen; 12-14-2009 at 11:05 AM.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    low heart rate and high blood pressure-help please jo5086 High & Low Blood Pressure 4 05-08-2006 06:55 PM
    Help Please with SLOW heart rate!! I'm scared!! SeaBreezes Heart Disorders 6 08-25-2005 08:48 AM
    running/heart rate/fat burn Tjay718 Exercise & Fitness 33 06-02-2005 07:15 PM
    what is "normal" urine flow rate? Dave56789 Urology 1 05-04-2005 03:25 PM
    Heart Rate and Fitness Howitt44 Exercise & Fitness 2 02-23-2005 01:01 PM
    heart rate? pgeorge Heart Disorders 5 01-04-2005 05:11 PM
    Fast Heart Rate and other stuff. richdaws1984 Heart Disorders 4 01-03-2005 01:26 PM
    Stratterra/Sustained elevated Heart rate/after stopping med pamperedglitter ADD / ADHD 20 11-15-2004 07:34 AM
    High hear rate with little exertion sgunjin Heart Disorders 5 09-30-2004 07:53 PM
    Permanant effects of TTP/Heart Rate Wind_Dancer Blood and Blood Vessel 1 08-28-2004 08:30 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!